Wednesday, May 15, 2013

To Market, To Market...with a new bag!

Whenever I travel, especially on quilty adventures, I feel the need to make a new bag. And usually this feeling doesn't come over me until the last possible moment, so right on schedule yesterday, I found myself desiring a Super Tote. Have you seen these bags? It's probably Kelly's fault, because she made a gorgeous one adorned with applique leaves for Tracey, come to think of it. All the same, Anna, as always, wrote an amazingly easy to follow pattern that yields beautiful, professional looking results. I am super excited to board a plane to Portland today carrying my new bag. I love this bag.

Super Tote - done!

It's huge. I could probably even fit my laptop in here, but I'm not going to try on this trip. Inspired by Kelly, I made a few changes to the bag - I added the exterior pocket to both the front and back of the bag, because I like pockets and I added a crossbody strap rather than two shorter straps. At Market, you wind up lugging a bunch of stuff around, so I figured the crossbody strap would be way more comfortable.

Super Tote - top/side view

I used Essex Yarn Dyed in Flax for the linen bits, Melody Miller's amazing viewfinders in aqua for the exterior pockets, Madrona Road Sprout in Straw for the lining mixed with an old Kumari Garden print called Tarika for the lining gusset. I only wish I'd bought a whole bolt of the viewfinders when they came out, now that they're out of print!

Super Tote - interior fits SO much stuff!

All in all, I'm really happy with how this turned out and have plans to make a second one for Jacquie. She jokingly asked me to make her one to bring to Market, but rather than rush through it, I'm going to make it for her after I get home. She can use it to cart some of her necessities to all of her wonderful classes that she's teaching these days. You should check to see if she's teaching near you, because she's seriously awesome!

Cross body #supertote finished! Pay no attention to my messy closet please :)

I'll be back with loads of pictures from my trip next week, and I will indeed be posting to Instagram (with my terrible camera phone) while I'm away if you want to follow the #quiltmarket fun. Have a wonderful rest of your week!

22 comments:

  1. Великолепная сумка! Стильно!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful bag! Like your changes on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it....love bags and I hear what you say about making new ones...for just about any reason, in my case!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See you there :) Love the bag, so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Love your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! I would love to meet you! I'm in Portland! I hope you're going on the Speckled Hen Quilt Shop bus trip...that's my local quilt shop. I'm at the exit just before her there! Have a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag looks great! I've got to make one now, kept telling myself I didn't need another bag, but I think I do now!
    Carrie S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this looks GREAT! I prefer cross-body straps too! How long did you make yours?

    Have fun at market and take LOTS of pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute Elizabeth- I will be watching for that bag to walk by so I can jump out and say hi- I will be in booth 1427- I so hope to see you there! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love those viewfinders, the bag looks great

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your bag, and the view of the inside of your closet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's fabulous Elizabeth. Have fun at market!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the crossbody strap is brilliant. i want to make one to haul projects to guild sew ins and i need my hands free for other things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bag is great, thank you for sharing! And it looks like you'll have perfect travel reading with you! Have fun and hope you get a chance to explore Portland while you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the bag. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great bag ~ have fun while you're here in Portland. So much to do and see and great places to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome bag and I love the viewfinders too! AND I'm taking a class from Jacquie on MONDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome to Portland--I hope you enjoy your trip here! And if you get tired of carrying your bag around the very large room, I volunteer to carry it for you. ;) (This offer is strictly out of the kindest of my heart, and has nothing whatsoever to do with a room full of new and lovely fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat