Friday, May 24, 2013

Spring Quilt Market 2013: Odds and Ends

Quilty people are the best people, aren't they? Every time I get to go to something like Quilt Market or Stash Bash or what-have-you, I'm reminded of this. Everyone was so kind and welcoming! I got to place lots of names with faces and I got to see lots of great people I'm lucky to call friends in Portland.

On Friday, I got to sit in on the Portland Modern Quilt Guild's regular meeting, which had a presentation on the new MQG membership model by Alissa Haight Carlton as well as an amazing trunk show by Jacquie Gering. I adore Jacquie, and being the tall girl I am, she asked me to help Jen hold her quilts, which was so amazing. Being up close and personal with those quilts was just incredible. And hearing Jacquie speak about her quilts, gosh... I'm not sure I can put into words how hearing her speak and share her passion made me feel. Suffice it to say, it was something I won't forget for quite some time.

Alissa and Jacquie at PMQG meeting

And I can't forget to mention Jamie...she lives in the Portland area and was kind enough to drive some of us about here and there. Her sense of direction caused quite a bit of laughter, the kind of laughter that nearly brings you to tears. I will never look at a bike lane quite the same way again, Jamie!! Thanks for the rides!

It was such a kick picking up my nametag and attaching a sneak peek of my book cover to it! It was positively surreal to talk to people and have them ask about my book. It made me kind of swallow my fear of talking about myself, and I had some great conversations with people as a result of that beautiful little conversation starter.

My nametag :)

Speaking of my inability to talk about myself, there's something kind of big I've been up to that I haven't really shared here on my blog yet. Since the end of January, I've been on a bit of journey. A journey to become a healthier, fitter me. I've never been a thin person, other than when I was a young child. I've always been heavier, in part due to my love of baking and also because I've always despised exercising. But something happened to me in January. I decided I wanted to make a change. I didn't like what I saw in the mirror and the way that I felt. I've half-heartedly dieted over the years, but there's something different about this change I've been making. It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change, as cheesy as it sounds. I'm not just changing the way I eat for now, I'm doing it forever. And it feels good. I started doing Weight Watchers first, and after seeing some good results in the first eight weeks, I added in some exercise, starting with the 30 Day Shred. I spent 29 days doing the 30 Day Shred, and now I'm doing the Hip Hop Abs video series, and having a shocking amount of fun with it. It doesn't feel like work when I constantly see the scale moving and feel my body changing. I'm usually a pretty private person, but sharing my successes and seeing the success and accountability of others on IG using the #sweatnsew hashtag is really inspiring and keeps me going. I'm talking about you, Terri and Becky! My journey is not yet over, but I'm halfway to my goal, which is a great feeling.

This whole change in me made going to Market a really interesting experience - lots of people noticed that I looked different, which was both flattering and mildly mortifying at the same time. Sometimes I even have a hard time seeing a change in myself, so I thought I'd dig up some pictures from last Market to compare to pictures from this Market. Left side is last year, 40 pounds heavier, and right side is this year, with the lovely Cindy of Live a Colorful Life. Don't you love her gorgeous Little Folks raincoat?!?!

Side by side - last Market and this Market
left: Spring Market 2012
right: Spring Market 2013 with Cindy/Live a Colorful Life


So, this is my last Spring Market post for this year. Next week, I'm planning to get back into my sewing room and start making a dent in my ridiculous wip list, starting with end-of-the-year teacher gifts! Are you making teacher gifts this year? What are you making? I'm still undecided, and running out of time! Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

41 comments:

  1. Really nice post for lots of different reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your quilty work and I'm so encouraged by your weight loss and lifestyle change. I have a similar story and decided to make a change in March and today I'm down 10 pounds. I've seen the #sweatnsew and thought about joining in and I think I will now. :)
    The quilty community is great in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hard work is paying off and it shows! Well done. Some friends went to Spring Market and I will be retired next year so I think I must make time to go - it looks like such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing your journey with us, your hard work is inspiring on many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very nice post and you look really fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You truly look very happy in both photos. Same person just more fit (and in an adorable polka dot sweater! although no Han Solo). I started the 30 day shred 4 days ago and feel good about working on myself for a few minutes every day. I don't need a 6-pack to feel good about myself but a little tone would be nice (and helpful for wrangling large quilts!). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you look fantastic! I thought I had noticed a change! Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the great progress you've made. Inspiring. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so great, Elizabeth! Congratulations! I need to check out the hip hop abs series...might be fun to add that to the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent work!!! keep up the good work and you will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! I had noticed a difference in the pictures but didn't say anything just in case what I was remembering from before was a less than flattering photo. :)

    I love 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Now I just need to dust them off and use them! :) My exercise became nonexistent last year after I got pregnant/sick but there is no excuse now that the baby is 8 months old. :) I know how much better I feel with more muscle and less fat.

    You and Emily are inspiring!

    I am so glad you had a good time at Market and were able to meet great people. Writing a book is a big deal - tons of work with little people in the house! - and I'm glad you got to share it with people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! That is fantastic!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very inspiring! You look wonderful, really a lot younger if you don't mind me saying so. Thanks for the market pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, you look fantastic! That motivates me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you, and once again you are an inspiration! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy cow 40# is a big deal! Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so nice, Elizabeth. And you look FABULOUS, by the way. It was so good to see you--even if only for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look wonderful, but I got distracted by Harrison Ford looking over your (old) shoulder xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look great, Elizabeth!!
    I can't wait to see your book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the lifestyle change - you look fantastic - I still need the kick to make the same change...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you got the chance to talk to all those people, and you look fab, congrats! I'm currently on day 7 of the Shred, and I'm down 7 lbs already combined with changing my diet to eating sensibly again, so if I could keep that up for the next 3 weeks I'd be a super happy bunny going on holiday! I suspect it will end up more likely as 15 lbs or so in total, but you never know ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, you look great! Way to go :) love the raincoat too, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look amazing. And I admire you for doing 29 days of that Shred… I did 7 before I was so enraged and swearing at her for mocking me, I couldn't take it anymore! :-) I'm also kinda lazy exercise-wise…

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for inspiring me to do what you are doing....change of lifestyle diet. I lost 40 lbs and gained it back a year later....but you gave me hope to do it again and not gain it back this time around! I did the Hallelujah diet, vegan lifestyle - it cured so many ills...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Girl, you look wonderful!!! I know what it feels like to go through a change in lifestyle and the resulting weightloss! I have lost about 35 pounds now and am hoping for a little bit more. Keep it up, but I know I don't have to tell you that! You can FEEL the difference, right? Lightness in body, lightness in spirit!
    Good luck and thank you for sharing!
    Esther
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look absolutely fabulous, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good for you Elizabeth! It's nice to feel healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look 'mahvalous darling'!! Seriously. I admire your stamina.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can tell from your comments that you feel so much better with this new lifestyle you've adopted. Very motivating for me. You look great! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good for you!! I know about the happy/sad feeling with compliments after weight loss. You feel great that they noticed, but mortified that it is that noticeable! ;) Keep up the good work...I am on that journey now also.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing your lifestyle change- we now have another reason to admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You looked awesome. I'm proud of all your hard work! I think you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You so obviously feel great, Elizabeth. You look wonderful and healthy - way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good for you girl! Making forever changes is where I'm at too. It feels easier than a diet. You look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Elizabeth you are such an inspiration! So proud of you and all of your accomplishments in 2013. I Can't wait to read that fancy book of yours when it's released.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats on your discipline - you inspire others!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's fun to see your people pictures. I too have met Jacquie, when she was president of the Kansas City MQG, and Cindy is a friend of mine - such a sweetie! We're in the Mid-Century Modern Bee together. Congratulations to you on your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congratulations on your success! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You look fabulous. Congrats on taking care of YOU. Lose it slowly and it will stay off!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm behind by 500+ blogs due to renovation and away-from-home vacation so I'm reading without commenting but I had to make an exception here -- you look fabulous! Congratulations! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat