Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Divided Basket Headquarters

It's starting to feel a little bit like a sweatshop in my sewing room - I've been working on a lot of the same thing the last week, which is a bit unlike me. I'm trying to plow through my end-of-the-year preschool teacher gifts as well as some of the recipients on my Pay It Forward list.

All three together

I love Anna's great Divided Basket pattern. Have you made one yet? I highly recommend it, Anna's patterns are so easy to follow. I've officially made four of these baskets now, and I love each one dearly. I guess that's what happens when you use fabric you love. :)

Divided basket assembly line

The first one I made was for Marla, as a part of a post Stash Bash swap, using some of Ellen Luckett Baker's first line for Kokka, Stamped. I really love the colors in this one, and I was so pleased with how easily the whole thing came together. Seriously, I think the fabric and interfacing cutting took more longer than the actual sewing!

Basket for Marla


Then I decided to cut into some of my favorite Ruby Star Sparkle by Melody Miller for a PIF (pay-it-forward) gift. I only had a half-yard, so on the back side of the basket, the phones are upside down, but I think it's kind of endearing that way.

Melody Miller divided basket

I wanted to do one more PIF (pay-it-forward) gift basket, so I pulled out a stack of Anna Maria Horner fabrics, and grabbed the one on top, a cut from Innocent Crush. As soon as I picked up the stack, I knew who this basket would be for (but I'm not telling yet!!). Because Innocent Crush is a quilting weight fabric instead of a canvas or home dec fabric, like the pattern suggests, I used two layers of interfacing for extra stability - Pellon Fusible Fleece, as the pattern calls for, and a layer of Pellon Craft Fuse, another fusible that I tend to use a lot of. It worked out quite well, so I will definitely do that again if I use a quilting cotton for this pattern.

AMH divided basket

The last basket I worked on put some new fabric to use - a cheater Kokka patchwork fabric I got in Portland at Bolt. I saw Susan, the owner of The Quilt Asylum, walking around with this bolt, and she was generous enough to let me have a half-yard off of it. The lining is an Aneela Hoey print from Sew Stitchy, which I thought would make a cute lining for this divided basket. It would make a great scrap basket, don't you think? I've decided now I definitely need to make one for me if I wind up giving this adorable one away.

Kokka patchwork divided basket


What about you? Do you like to sew the same project again and again? Have a great Wednesday!

15 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this pattern - I've also made 4 of them so far and have more in the near future! It's my new favorite thing to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a great pattern? I made Easter baskets with the pattern with only 1 handle so the kids can carry them easier. Yours are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Love em all. Mine is getting a lot of use and holding up beautifully. The purple snippets holder we got at The Stash Bash fits perfectly in one side. With small projects - like bags and pouches I like to make them a few times to really perfect the techniques but with big quilts I like to try something new every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to not like sewing the same thing over and over, but that is such a great pattern. The bags are all fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great. I got on a tote kick and cranked a bunch out. I'm really wanting to try this pattern especially since I received one as as part of a recent retreat swag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I managed to make only one of these, but I am definitely inspired by your post to make more!
    Julie @ The Crafty Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fabulous, Elizabeth! Love your fabric combinations. I have Anna's patter and am anxious to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree, this is a great pattern. Great directions and easier to put together than you'd imagine. I bought it as three friends were expecting babies, so I knew it would get plenty of use. The first basket was delivered today, I wish I'd put a bit more interfacing in as you suggest but it was well received none the less. Two more to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the baskets. I tend to get bored on #3 of anything starting from scratch, so I try and production line things so they all get done at about the same time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! I actually don't like to sew the same thing over and over BUT sometimes I like something so much I can't help making them for others - like my Wordy Mouse Pad - I'll probably still make another!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't made this pattern ~ yet. And yes, I do like to do the same patterns over again, especially when friends and family really like whatever I've made.
    Loving this divided basket ~ really like the one with the telephones

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job, I dont usually do 2 of anything... but this would serve a good purpose, love you color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These baskets are each so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just right now I am making four drawstring bags! I started out making two but figured I would just use up the piece I used for the main part of the bags. They are turning out so cute, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have to make those baskets, too.
    I recently finished a little bag with pleats, a handy purse and am currently working on a little bear. Next will be a hat for my little one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat