Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Spring Quilt Market 2013: Portlandia

Portland was a great place for Spring Market this year. I'd never been to Portland before, so it was exciting to get to see a new place, and to experience it with so many great people. If you haven't visited Portland before, make sure to arrive with an empty stomach - the food is unbelievable!

Mother's Bistro was a great breakfast spot, with quite possibly the best french toast I've ever had. Granted, I haven't been to Paris or anything, but I thought they were amazing. It could be in part because I haven't had the luxury of having french toast in a long time, but the ambiance in the restaurant was also really cool.

French Toast at Mothers

AnneMarie and I also walked on over to Frank's Noodle House for dinner one night, with their amazing homemade noodles and super tasty dumplings. It was a really interesting little place, and the food was just delicious. Definitely two thumbs up.

Frank's Noodle House - yum!

And who knew that Portland had awesome ice cream?!? Not me! After the Modern Domestic Happy Hour Friday night, a group of us walked over to Salt & Straw, a super fresh ice cream shop with very unique flavors, ranging from arbequina olive oil to more classic flavors like chocolate with gooey brownies. I had a mixed scoop of the chocolate with gooey brownies and the sea salt with caramel ribbon ice cream. Definitely an amazing match up! Even if it made the mild weather feel nearly arctic afterward ;)

Salt & Straw with some super fun girls
awesome photo of us in line *yes there was a line!* at Salt & Straw by Jamie
l-r: me, AnneMarie, Jen, Sukie, and Lee

Bolt - great fabric store in Portland

The other thing you'll need when you go to Portland is your wallet, because there are so many great fabric stores! On Thursday, AnneMarie and I managed to get out to a few fabric stores, thanks to our hotel shuttle and the kindness of strangers. We headed to Bolt, which was a beautiful little shop. Gorgeous fabrics, lots of modern finds, and lots of crossweaves as well. Definitely an inspiring kind of space. I picked up a few goodies there, and at the cutting counter, stumbled upon a kind stranger who was heading to Fabric Depot next. AnneMarie and I had planned to venture out to the public transit system to get out there, but our kindly new friends offered to drive us. How nice!

Stack of finds from Bolt

Fabric shopping with some good samaritans

Our new friends were Susan, the fabulous owner of The Quilt Asylum in McKinney, Texas, and her daughter, Audrey. Thanks again, girls! Fabric Depot was definitely an interesting experience - kind of Wal-Mart meets quilt shop, with loads, and loads of bolts of quilting cottons ranging from solids to popular collections. They even had a bridal fabric section! Definitely lots of variety there. I picked up some great stash builders there, as well as some fabric to put together a Super Tote for Jacquie with her signature color, orange, and a fun dark denim I found.

Fabric Depot - interior


Makings of a Super Tote from Fabric Depot

Quilting cottons from Fabric Depot


Last but not least, I did a bit of shopping at the Modern Domestic Happy Hour, breaking my no-fat-quarters rule, because they were too cute to pass up. If you get up to the Portland area, definitely be sure to check out the Modern Domestic class schedule, their teaching space is just breathtaking!

Haul from Modern Domestic

Don't you just love checking out quilt shops in other cities? I know it's something I look forward to when I travel to new places. Have a great day today. Happy Wednesday to you!

9 comments:

  1. Tell me about this no fat quarter rule! I don't buy many anymore, either... They're just gone too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing i just about only use fat quarters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing everyone's pics really makes me want to visit Portland! It looks like a great city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed our city...sorry the weather was kind of crappy...we had just gone through 3 weeks of (unusually) warm weather. Fab Depot is an experience! I was there on Friday listening to Jenny from Missouri Star. Come back any time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! Glad you had a good time! Too funny because I live in Oregon, but my family is all in McKinney and Allen, TX and I have been to the Quilt Asylum at least a few times :-). Southern hospitality for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anytime I travel I look for quilt shops to stop at along the drive or close to wherever we are staying. I love visiting my family in Montana because there are five (or six?) quilt shops in town! Our local shop hop is in about a month and I plan on hitting every shop - there are only 12 or 13 but I am excited to see all of these new to me places!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband says we travel in quilt shop routes! He is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bwahaha, I love that the thumbnail for this post was food related rather than quilty :oD I'll save you the guessing, the French don't make 'French Toast' so that'll be the best then...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to know about the no FQ rule too! Did I miss a memo?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat