Friday, May 3, 2013

Modern Gears: A quilt finish in Modern Quilts Unlimited

I'm really excited to finally share this quilt with you. Modern Gears is a new quilt that I made and that is now available as a pattern in the Spring issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited. This quilt was a long time in the making - the first sketch I did for this one is three graph paper notebooks ago, back in the beginning of 2012. I didn't jot down the source of my inspiration at the time, but I believe it was the cover of a book with gears on it that got my brain thinking about patchwork gears.

Modern Gears - full frontal

The fabrics in this quilt are from Carolyn Friedlander's beautiful Architextures collection, which still sits near the top of my favorite fabrics list. I especially love the one gear with the fuchsia center - that block was actually a bit of an oops turned awesome design element. I ran out of the blueprint fabric, thanks to a dopey cutting mistake I made, so I had to improvise. I decided to throw in one different color, an accent, if you will, and I'm so glad I did. I think it makes the quilt even more interesting than it would be otherwise.

Modern Gears - detail1

You can still find Architextures in stock at Marmalade Fabrics, Pink Castle Fabrics, and Stash Modern Fabrics.

Modern Gears, my pattern in the Spring 2013 issue of MQU


If you haven't picked up a copy of Modern Quilts Unlimited before, I highly recommend it. The photography is just stunning, the patterns are well-written with lots of diagrams, and the articles are quite enjoyable as well. You can usually find it at local bookstores, Barnes & Nobles, some Jo-Ann Fabrics stores, and Pink Chalk Fabrics. You can also order digital and print copies at their website right here.

MQU Spring 2013 issue

And last but not least, I owe you two winners for the Quiltmaker 100 Blocks Volume 7 giveaway! Drum roll, please....our winners are: #32, Carol Stearns, and #203, HelenMarie. I will be contacting you both via email today to square away your prize. Congratulations to you both, and thanks to everyone who entered! I've got lots of great new block inspiration thanks to all your comments :) Have a great weekend everyone!

13 comments:

  1. Stunning quilt and thanks for the tip on the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that pattern dog-earred in my copy already! It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love this quilt, the pink absolutely makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I''m so happy I won! Your quilt is lovely! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extremely awesome, Elizabeth! I need to get my hands on a copy of this magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the pink is such a great addition- I love little quilty twists of fate like that... it's like our rotary cutters have an opinion too sometimes, so they will purposefully miscut fabric and we are left to "make do" and in the end the quilts are better for it- love it! Congrats on the Magazine feature- so exciting! Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the effect in this, and the pink is a perfect wee pop of colour

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt - love the one fuchsia block!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt, I love how you have updated an old pattern and gave it the new twist. Hole in the barn door is one of my favorite patterns but I love how you added the nine patch and the middle square on the outside, colour play with fabric is just perfect! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried purchasing a digital issue but I have no luck. Item is not in the shop the site says...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is a lovely modern quilt. Congratulations on being published.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat