Monday, November 28, 2011

Jesse's Quilt, the Summer Sampler Plus Quilt

It's going to be really hard to say goodbye to this quilt, but it's going to such a wonderful home, I think somehow I'll find the strength to do it.  Jesse, if you are reading this post, STOP NOW!  I will be very upset if you ruin this surprise (but I'm fairly sure you have been so busy that you haven't read my blog in eons, but I forgive you!).

When Lee, Katie and Faith started up the Summer Sampler Series, the blocks immediately spoke to me and made me think of my husband's best friend, Jesse.  The two of them have been best buds since they were little kids, growing up in the same small town in Connecticut, and despite the many, many miles between them now, they're still quite close.   Jesse comes to visit us at least once every year and has become my munchkin's favorite uncle.  He's a special part of our family, and when I saw the geometric blocks in the Summer Sampler, they just said "Jesse" to me.

Jesse's the one on the left, hamming it up with my husband at our wedding
After I finished my blocks, I just didn't quite feel done.  I knew I could add sashing to add size to the quilt, but I just felt like I wanted to have more blocks for the quilt, so I decided to ask my awesome 4x5 beehive to help me out and add some extra blocks to the quilt.

Finished Summer Sampler blocks!

All said and done, after adding my 4x5 blocks, I still needed 3 more to make the quilt as large as I wanted, so I put together one Japanese x and + block, one block made of four snowballs, and one rail fence block that I bordered with some white and extra blue.  I stitched them all together, and the quilt just felt more complete.  

Extra blocks for my Summer Sampler Plus complete!

I debated adding a border to the quilt, to give it some extra size, but ultimately decided against it.  I was too excited about a geometric doodle style of quilting I'd come up with to go along with Jesse's love for all things geometric.  I was nervous about trying something new, and in hindsight, I totally should've practiced on a practice quilt sandwich first, but I worried that I would lose my determination to do something different if I stopped to really think about it, so I jumped in and went for it.

Jesse's quilt #2 

I free-motioned groups of  interconnected boxes, which remind me of little labyrinths or mazes, stitching down the length of the quilt.  It was definitely more fun for me than straight-line quilting, but it also wasn't as precise as I like to be.  In the end, I'm happy I did something different, but I definitely need more practice.

Jesse's quilt - close-up #3


I'll be shipping this gift off real soon for the holidays...before I decide I can't part with it!  I know Jesse will give this quilt a good home, and I hope it will remind him of us throughout the year.

Summer Sampler Plus quilt - done!


Quilt Stats
Name: Jesse's Quilt
Size: 48" x 60"
Fabrics: Kona Peacock, Kona Lagoon, Kona Bahama Blue, Kona Aqua, Kona Charcoal, Kona Medium Gray, Kona Ash, Patty Young's Sanctuary, Jenean Morrison's Silent Cinema, Moda Hullabaloo Hoopla Aqua, Moda Modern Workshop Dots Artisan Aqua, and more
Binding: Moda's Little Apples Sweater Check in Pencil by Aneela Hoey
Quilting: Doodle boxes, quilted by me on my Husqvarna Sapphire 835 in white thread

I'm linking up with {Sew} Modern Monday today, hop on over there to see more recent modern quilting finishes!

36 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic. I love the choice of fabrics and the blocks are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really awesome! Quilting and all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so wonderful, I love everything about it and love that you are giving it to a man. It's such a manly quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, this is a beautiful quilt! I love the geometric quilting design to go along with the geometric style blocks! What a great quilt story, too. I am sure this quilt will be loved and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, Elizabeth! Your quilting is beautiful and I love the binding...perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful! I love your quilting and was trying to figure out how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is just wonderful - cool you tried some new quilting, and I love that you didn't add borders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! I agree, that is a hard quilt to part with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is one of my favorite sampler quilts ever!! gorgeousness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous quilt - I would definitely struggle to part with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so great! Love the geometric feel to all the blocks, I can see how it will be hard to part with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous quilting design for this! Love the blocks, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These blocks are absolutely amazing! A-MAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I love this quilt. I'm glad you decided to forgo the sashing--it looks really cool! I'm sure Jesse will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is fantastic!!! I love the quilting! It looks really really cool! Jesse will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is just gorgeous! I love seeing everyone's sampler quilt because each one is so unique. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! That quilt became fantastic! Those colours are so perfect for geometric blocks and it didn't need any border!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that is absolutely fab, love it! I'm sure Jesse will too (and if not, I'm sure I could accommodate it ;o) )

    ReplyDelete
  19. it is such a pretty quilt. i am sure he will looooove it. very thoughtful elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's spectacular! What a great job your bee mates did contributing. Lovely, lovely, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all of the blocks and the blues and greens with the grey are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a beautiful quilt! I can understand why it's hard to part with. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job Elizabeth, the quilting looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This turned out so beautiful! Nice job! I love the colors you used and the blocks you added.

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE IT! What a very kind gift to give your hubby's best friend. So much went into this quilt and the finished product is really something. I can't stop staring at it!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very striking in these colors and it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a great quilt, Elizabeth! The Summer Sampler blocks are such a great basis and your additions, along with those of your hive, really make it something special.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Even though I've already commented on flickr, I have to say, this quilt is LOVE. The colors are so cool and tranquil, your quilting is fun and perfect for the blocks, and well, I think it's awesome. I bet Jesse will, too! What a sweet gift.

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE this, E!! The colors are fabulous! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE this, E!! The colors are fabulous! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jesse LOVES his quilt (and speaking in the 3rd person) ... and is slow on the uptake as far as blog reading is concerned -- good thing too, since I waited to open the gift until Christmas day and reading this sure would have been a spoiler! ;)

    Thanks, Liz! not only for the quilt, but for the awesome blog post as well! I'm still not sure if I'm hamming it up in that wedding day photo or just squinting because I had something in my eye. Either way, it brings back good memories of a beautiful wedding.

    And I've now caught up on all of your 2012 blog posts! I especially like the camera strap (spiffy camera), and the polaroid-inspired blocks, as well as the colorful 4x5 weathervane blocks, and the carpenter's star.. ok, fine, everything! :)

    Thanks again! Looking forward to visiting sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What's the name of the block in the lower right?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat