Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Farmer's Wife QAL: Getting back on the horse

Thanks to some heavy-duty Sudafed and a waning cold, I climbed back up on the Farmer's Wife horse this weekend, which was both refreshing and infuriating all at the same time.  Let's start with the refreshing, shall we?

Block 38: Four Winds
This block has way too many pieced, but I'm really pretty happy with how it turned out.  I used a Joel Dewberry print from Modern Meadow, Lizzy House's pearl bracelet print in pond from Red Letter Day, a Kate Spain print from Central Park, and the green print from Erin McMorris's Weekends collection.   I love the little purple pinwheel in the center, that's what makes this block my favorite of the bunch.

DSCN8074

Block 39: Friendship
This block was a breeze to put together, and I could definitely see myself making an entire quilt using a block like this.  I love how cheerful this block is.  The fabrics in this block come from Soul Blossoms, DS's Fairgrounds, Kumari Garden, and Metro Living.

DSCN8094

And now for the infuriating...this block is #36, Flower Garden Path.  This block was terribly infuriating to put together.  In fact, I may just redo it at some point...just not today :)  There's just too much going on in the block with the Good Folks fabrics I used, and the dark DS print I used is actually supposed to meet in the center.  Oh well.

DSCN8089

Block 40: Friendship Block
I used one of my favorite Good Folks prints in this block, which automatically makes me want to like this block.  That being said, though, I feel like it's a bit...loud.  It's hard to see the actual pattern of the block.  It just feels like the Sanctuary fabric and Good Folks fabric are competing with each other rather than working together.

DSCN8084

For the record, I skipped block 35, Flower Basket, and block 37 Flower Pot.  I've decided that it's okay to skip the blocks I don't like, that it doesn't make a bad quilter.  It was kind of empowering to skip over those two blocks and keep on trucking.  So, having skipped those two, I now have a total of 38 blocks finished for this quilt.

Here's all my Farmer's Wife blocks all together, they're starting to look awfully pretty all together, don't you think?

FW blocks all together

I also managed to wrap up some bee blocks this weekend, for {Sew} Beautiful Bee and do.Good.Stitches. The block on the left is for Lee, an improv pieced tree paired with some gorgeous Essex linen and then the other two blocks are for the Bliss circle of do.Good.Stitches.  

Phew, there's a few things checked off my To Do list!  I cannot believe that it's going to be Thanksgiving next week, I really need to figure out my holiday sewing and get a move on!  

9 comments:

  1. I love your FW blocks - they look great when they hang out together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those FW blocks are looking fab, Love the range of colours across them. Cute improv tree, I like the idea behind the do.Good.Stitches blocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty blocks!! I love how colorful and bold they all look together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tree block is great! Also, the farmers wife quilt is lookins so fresh and really pretty. So many complicated blocks! I love how colorful it is, so pretty. I'd love to try a project like this someday but looks like it would take me five years to get through it! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blocks! I do love that four winds block, awesome fabrics that really show off the design. Yay for getting "back in the saddle" and double yay for skipping blocks you don't like :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with skipping blocks. If you don't like it, then it's not fun to make, and what's the point of that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You quilt is looking so good! What a feat. I'd sew a seam down the middle of the square in a heartbeat if you really want those two dark Vs to make an X ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My two favorite blocks so far have been Friendship and Practical Orchard. I have larger plans for each of those. I DID Flower Basket--hate it but it's done. Since I'm following the letters in sequence, I haven't come upon the other one yet. Carla (Lollyquiltz) and I are getting back on the FW wagon too--she had a broken wrist and I have a new grandson, so we will each have a new edition of Farmer's Wife Friday on....Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how pretty elizabeth! lovely blocks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat