Friday, November 11, 2011

A Dash of Fancy Mini

Thanks for all the well wishes the past few days, everyone, I really appreciate it.  I'm still trying to get over this darned cold, but I hope I'm going to kick it to the curb real soon.

Today, I'm super excited to share my little mini for Amy's awesome Sew and Tell Mini Quilt Challenge.



When Amy mentioned the idea for a mini quilt challenge, I knew I wanted to make something.  Ever since I heard Amanda speak so passionately about making minis at Sewing Summit, I've been feeling the urge to make a mini, so this was a quilty perfect storm for me.  I've slowly been collecting little bits and pieces of Flea Market Fancy from some awesome fabric swaps and then my recent Pillow Talk Swap partner spoiled me with some larger pieces.  I knew I had to do something cool with them, so I set out to figure out what I had...

A FMF Start

Not too long ago, another fabulous quilty Amy posted a new churn dash quilt she'd finished, and I was surprised at how much I liked it.  I do like traditional blocks, but I haven't ever seen a churn dash quilt I liked...until Amy's.  I just loved the simplicity of it, and I thought it would look good in a teeny tiny size, so I did the math for some 6" blocks and got to cutting.

A Dash of Fancy mini - full frontal

These blocks came together awfully quickly, then I decided to add a fun border for an additional pop of color.  I added some DS Fairgrounds for the backing, and set about to quilting.  I was seriously indecisive about my quilting, and that's why you'll see two different kinds of quilting on this quilt.  In the border, I went with a puzzle-piece kind of straight-line quilting which was a lot of fun, though I can't imagine doing it on a large quilt.  I then added some echo quilting inside each print of my blocks for some extra depth.

A Dash of Fancy border quilting


A Dash of Fancy quilting


Quilt Stats
Name: A Dash of Fancy
Size: 20" square
Design: 6" churn dash blocks
Quilting: Puzzle-piece quilting and straight-line echo quilting
Fabrics: DS Flea Market Fancy, various Kona and Free Spirit Designer Solids to match
Binding: Free Spirit Designer Solids in Pastel Grey

48 comments:

  1. It's so CUTE!!! I love the happy colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mini is so cute! The colors are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! I really like the quilting you did in the border, but you're right, that would be tough for a whole quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great!! I love Amy's pattern too. I want to make one!! thanks for playing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it Elizabeth and especially like your border quilting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling quilt! I hope both of us get rid of our colds very VERY soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great colors in there! Can't wait to get my hands on some FMF. Love that boxy quilting too! Feeling better dear?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really pretty. I think the two blue squares are my favorites. I like the way you alternated them. Glad to hear you are starting to feel better too. I think I had that same cold and it took forever for me to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT mini! Love your quilting in the border!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it's so so lovely. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is very cute, I love churn dashes and your mini using them is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my - this is gorgeous, Elizabeth! I love love love the bright, bold colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the colors of the mini quilt! That is going to be adorable!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on the Homemade Stockings and for some input on how to add names to them. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very very cute! I love all your extra details - the quilting - the borders - that make this scrappy quilt extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it, E! So bright and cheery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! What a great use of gorgeous scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your quilt with the bright colors. it turns me on to smile

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've pulled me over to the churn dash camp. Your fabric choices really make this quilt.

    It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty! A great use of precious FMF pieces. : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. That mini is so cute and seems so doable! I might have to jump on the mini-wagon myself :-D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really pretty Elizabeth! I love all the solid colors you used along with the FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful, Elizabeth! I love love love the border you added.

    I've done a whole quilt in the blocky quilting, and it is weird! I just doesn't feel right.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the vibrancy of this quilt. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is adorable! The quilting is awesome, especially your puzzle quilting in the border. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great mini! I love how bright and colorful it is! The quilting is great too! I need to try that puzzle piece quilting. Was that with a walking foot, or just a normal foot?

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so fun and cheery! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's wonderful, Elizabeth! Love the fun, bright colors and your quilting is fabulous! You are definitely converting me to a fan of the churn dash!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aww, how cool, love the idea of a baby churn dash :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is fabulous! I don't normally like churn dash blocks, but I love your version!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Elizabeth I love your colorful mini churn dash blocks! Great idea with the quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love it, and the quilting is so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. A great design and the fabrics are so bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Super cute! So bright and happy! Surely those colors and the FMF will get you over that cold. : )

    ReplyDelete
  34. i LOVE how you combined the 2 styles of FMQ! i think that was such an inspired decision! so great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great mini! I love the quilting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your mini! What a happy little quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. So cute and that quilting is amazing!! I might try that puzzle type pattern it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love all the colorful fabrics you used!

    ReplyDelete
  39. there really is something so completely satisfying when the fabric and the pattern just blend and it becomes art. it is lovely elizabeth! truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat