Monday, June 13, 2011

Modern Crosses Baby Quilt - A Finished Top!

It was a busy sewing weekend over at my house, and I'm super happy to have a quilt top to share with you guys today :)  The pattern comes from the amazingly simple yet beautiful Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects by Susan Beal, which I highly recommend - and is on sale at Amazon right now!  I actually enjoyed this pattern so much that I may do a scrap quilt with this pattern this year - I think I'll just randomly make blocks as my scraps pile up and put it all together at the end of the year.

DSCN4412

After tons of chain piecing and ironing, I finished the blocks some time on Saturday, and had a pretty easy time putting them together.  I really love how simple this quilt top is - simple but elegant.   This quilt will be going to brand new baby Nicholas, and I'm excited to give it to his parents later this week, I hope.

DSCN4404

I pilfered my FQ and scrap stashes to pull together the fabrics for this one, and I'm pretty happy with how this one came together.  There's some Liberty, Metro Living, Urban Circus, Greenfield Hill, Ta Dot, City Weekend, Groove - there's tons of different fabric lines in this one.  I'm most especially happy with not having bought any fabric for this quilt!  You'd think I'd shop from my stash more often, but it's so pretty that I sometimes have a hard time disturbing it!!  I didn't even buy an inch of fabric for the backing, which I finished up last night.

DSCN4406

I'm either going to do some simple echo quilting or an all-over free-motion stitch TBD, I can't seem to decide.  I was thinking about trying this jigsaw puzzle free-motion stitch I've seen on a few quilts, but I'm not sure if I've got the patience at the moment.  I'm suffering from some serious quilty ADD at the moment, I can't seem t to commit to just one project and keep it moving, so we'll see.  What have you been sewing this weekend?

I'm sharing today over at {Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations.  Hop on over there to see some awesome modern finishes!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

29 comments:

  1. Very cute! You're right...simple and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this book recently just for this pattern! It's on my to do list, but yours has turned out gorgeous. Well done! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to look really closely to see how that could be "log cabin" but I worked it out in the end.

    I hope the parents love it as much as you did making it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic! very cute. That jigsaw quilting would look really great on it too. But I hear you - i think it's summer causing the quilty add. I have it too! I want quick and easy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You quilt is wonderful! I just started this same quilt, it is such a stunning variation on a log cabin. I am very interested to see how you decide to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am having my own problems with quilty ADD. I'm blaming the summer weather!

    Your quilt is beautiful! Perfect for a little boy! This book is on my Amazon wishlist just because of this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt! Fantastic that you did it from your stash. Baby will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, Elizabeth! I really want to get started on mine! I think the echo quilting is a cool idea.

    Good for you for shopping from your stash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I wanted to make one of these but I think I have to finish a few of my WIPs first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooo! That is gorgeous!! I love it! Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work woman! I think I'm might add this to the list of quilts that I need to make!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable! Simple and sophisticated but oh so pretty!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, its so lovely! Funny, I was chatting with someone about this quilt pattern over the weekend and then it just popped up looking gorgeous on your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great quilt.I agree,simple and elegant.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely top! I think this is such a great pattern, it always looks so interesting and really showcases each print/colour.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this -- it looks fantastic. The fabric you selected for the crosses contrasts very nicely with the background.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely top! I think this is such a great pattern, it always looks so interesting and really showcases each print/colour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the look of this! Seriously considering this as one of my next quilts...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I ordered this book last week, cant wait for it to arrive. Love your quilt and know exactly how you feel about disturbing your stash. Some of my fabrics are just far too pretty to actually cut up, how stupid is that?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks wonderful. What a sweet gift and a wonderful modern look. I've been eyeing that pattern for a while now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This quilt is adorable. I love the color choices.

    I've actually been eyeing this book...Your quilt has inspired me to take the plunge and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful! I really need to make one of these myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cool! I was not sure about that book before, but now that I see your quilt I must get it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This turned out so beautifully Elizabeth! What a stunning pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok, you seriously rock my socks off--everyday! :) Love it! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pure awesomeness !
    Have to try it out this weekend.

    smiles
    leena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat