Friday, June 17, 2011

Finished! Modern Crosses baby quilt

It's amazing what some well placed and planned log cabins turn into

I am so happy with how this quilt has turned out.  I adore the simplicity of this pattern, and I think it works perfectly for the baby that will be receiving this quilt.  He has been dreamed of and wished for by his parents for many years, and I'm so happy for them.   I hope this quilt will convey that happiness to them throughout the start of their journey into the parenting trenches.

Finished Modern Crosses Baby quilt

This quilt is 100% pieced from my stash.  Stash binding, stash batting, stash solids, and stash prints.  Really!  It was so exciting to manage to work strictly from my stash, I really enjoyed it, need to do it more often!  The prints range from blues to greens to reds, from Alexander Henry to Denyse Schmidt and Michael Miller.

A sea of modern crosses

The backing was kind of a happy accident.  When I read the pattern, which makes a much larger quilt, I decided to just halve the number of blocks and make something half as big, but when I laid it out on my design wall, it felt too big.  I saved some of my blocks for the back, instead, and paired them with some various Kona blue solids in my stash, and I'm really happy with it!

Modern Crosses baby finished back

The pattern comes from Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects by Susan Beal, which I highly recommend - and happens to be on sale at Amazon right now!  I really have enjoyed the eye candy from this book, it's changed my perspective entirely on log cabins blocks.  For the better!!  I will definitely make another quilt like this one at some point, maybe an awesome scrap quilt for the end of the year or something.

Quilt Stats
Name: Modern Crosses Baby quilt for Nicholas
Size: 48" square
Fabrics: A mismash of a bunch of different lines, like Denyse Schmidt's Greenfield Hill, Alexander Henry's Monkey Bizness, Michael Miller's French Journal, Riley Blake's Wheels, Riley Blake's All Star, Ann Kelle's Remix, Ann Kelle's Urban Circus, Robert Kaufman's Metro Living, MoMo's It's a Hoot, Michael Miller's Ta Dot, Oliver + S's City Weekend and more
Binding: Navy pindot, unknown manufacturer
Quilting: Meandering stipple in white thread by me

38 comments:

  1. Love the quilt and how awesome that you were able to use your stash! The quilting shows up beautifully with the solid background. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great Elizabeth! I think the simplicity of the modern crosses will really make this quilt a classic that the baby boy can grow with! and I love how the back has a bit of whimsy too - almost like a double-sided quilt! congrats on the finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautifully! and yay for using all stash! I need to do that soon, i'm feeling guilty about my stash. I really love what you did with the back, it's all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous finish! Love the back especially!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just lovely, Elizabeth!
    How wonderful to make a quilt completely from your stash - I'm impressed! And the back is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. What a blessed little baby to receive this. Great job and the backing just adds to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very sweet. this pattern would make a great prayer quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! Love the quilting too! Well done! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, its kind of the epitomy of baby boy quilts to me :-) Another awesomely amazing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honestly, I had never given this (type of) pattern a thought, but boy do I like your version! Very nice - what a great 'scrap' quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. both the front and the back are great!! I love the colors, perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "The parenting trenches" Haha!! It's so true. But if you do it right, what a glorious place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your quilt. It looks very sweet for a new baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking quilt! I think it's great for a boy/guy too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful! And what a great backing! That is a very lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sheesh, you are fast! It looks great, I'm sure parents and baby will treasure it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great use of your stash. Simple and clean for baby.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt turned out super cute. Something to be treasured for years!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful quilt with beautiful wishes for new parents. I'm sure this gift will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great! It feels so good to create something from your stash. Plus it gives you an excuse to go do some stash building.
    I am sure they will love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks beautiful! Love the back :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a wonderful quilt. Your color combinations are great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a great quilt! I love your fabric choices, and the back is awesome. I'd say this needs to be your go-to baby quilt, but it sounds a little tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely beautiful. The back turned out exceptionally well for being unplanned. I need to find where I put my copy of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks great and I love the back! The colours are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The plus signs can also be read as positives - which is a great sign for parents who are finally getting what they've dreamed of!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is gorgeous. I love the colors you used. A wonderful gift for a lucky little one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fabulous! I love both the front and the back.

    The way Susan makes her blocks make them so easy to just grab bits from the scrap bin and sew away. I love the pieces you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Doesn't it feel so good to make a stash quilt?
    And it must feel extra good when it come out as cute as this one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. beautiful & love your mix of fabrics. awesome that they all came from your stash. the back is great, too - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love it! I am making this pattern and it is so nice to see how it looks all done. Your quilting is also great, what pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really love this quilt. The simplicity of it appeals to me so much, love the fabrics and colours you chose and the finished article is gorgeous, lovely gift for a little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, it's just gorgeous! Thank you for this lovely photo post - your good wishes for the new family just shine through the pictures of the beautiful baby quilt you made them. And I'm so happy that you like my book!

    -susan

    ReplyDelete
  34. well done! i just bought this book and want to do the crosses quilt too but i just dont understand the cutting part. i cut out 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 for the smaller printed square, but what about the printed logs? it says 2" X 25", so what is the exact measurement so that i can sew along with the 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 ?
    pls advise..

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Wen, your email isn't associated with your Blogger profile, so I couldn't email you back directly, but for the most part, I just cut my printed logs as I went, which is what the author suggested to do. It winds up being approximately a total of 25" for the logs, which is where that measurement comes from. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat