Tuesday, June 14, 2011

June Bee Blocks

In between working on my Modern Crosses baby quilt this weekend, I spent some time working on bee blocks.  I just finished up the last of them last night, so I'm super happy to check three things off my To Sew list, which seems ever growing!

do.Good.Stitches blocks

Blocks for do.Good.Stitches Bliss circle - June

This month's quilter is my dear bloggy friend, Megan, and she chose a nice, bow-tie block.  I've been seeing a lot of these blocks popping up on Flickr lately, so I was excited to give them a try.  I really like how they came together, and Megan's tute is super easy to follow.  Also, in case you want to pop over to give her a quick congrats, she is the new social media coordinator for the upcoming Sewing Summit, so I'm super excited that I'll get to meet her in person in SLC this fall!!

{Sew} Beautiful block

Block for Cara

Cara is our queen bee this month, and is planning a quilt for for a baby in the NICU, and we are all making house blocks.  I have seen some seriously cute house blocks over the years...and I'm not 100% in love with mine.  I added a little Heather Ross doggie to add a little character to the house, and I'm considering adding some panes to the windows so they don't look so much like eyes, but other than that, I really like how this came together.  Cara sent some great fabrics to work with!

String Me Along block

Flying geese for Nichole

Nichole requested a simple flying geese block - but was very open-ended in what kind of flying geese she wanted.   I thought (momentarily) about doing another circle of geese block, but decided in the end to take the minimalist route.  These prints Nichole sent are from Denyse Schmidt's Hope Valley collection, something I have very little of in my stash, but every time I see it, I want some.  I love the small scale of the prints, it makes them so versatile.  This was my first time doing flying geese, and I think they turned out quite well - I was pleasantly surprised.

Birdie Stitches June block

Birdie Stitches June Block

I know that the Birdie Stitches BOM group isn't a bee, but I always think of it with my bee blocks, because I'm only doing one block per month.  This one was a little intense.  There's a ton of stitching.  I've seen this one interpreted a bunch of different ways throughout the Flickr group, but I'm a total typeface nerd, so I chose to do outlines of the different fonts Corey used.  I really like how this turned out, ultimately, it might just be my favorite block so far!

22 comments:

  1. so many cute blocks here today!

    i do love bow-tie blocks! thinking that i might use my DS fabric to make a bow-tie quilt. not quite sure yet....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the doggie! :) Makes me remember summer days at Granma's house with her dachshund, Frodo.

    And I love how you took the time to outline her fonts. I'm a font nerd, too, so when I do Birdie Stitches I'll probably preserve the fonts, too.

    It'd be awesome if you have time to link this up to my little BOMs AWAY party at http://whatahootquilts.blogspot.com/2011/06/boms-away-monday-5.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the puppy on your house block! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't blocks just so much fun! The bow tie blocks are lovely the way they create a secondary pattern. Off to check out Megan's tute. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your Birdie Stitches block is my favorite too, adorable, I really love your little bird design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the d.s in the flying geese block! Oh and the Birdie Stitches block is great!! I'm living vicariously through gals that are doing this. I just don't have time to add another WIP. . . I did finally go through my WIPs and I only have 10 lol not that bad. . . but sometimes I feel like I'm drowning haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks are great. The flying geese turned out great. I really like the bow tie blocks. Those colors are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks are great. The flying geese turned out great. I really like the bow tie blocks. Those colors are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never done flying geese either and this makes me really want to give it a try! Love the doggie with your house too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every one of those blocks are darling! I love the little house with the dog, and especially the birdie stiches block! WAY cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got some great sewing going on there. I saw that little bleep in the bow tie blocks and did a double take, wondering- is she trying to trick us readers!?:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them all! I was looking for our swap block candidate and I think I'll make the bowtie block for next month :) Thanks for a beautiful inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great fabric combos in the bowtie blocks! And in case you hadn't noticed it one of your squares is oriented incorrectly (the right block, 3rd row down, 1st square). I also really like you're offset line of geese! Thanks as always for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Birdie Stitches block is FANTASTIC! I love that you highlighted each font, which is what I was struggling to do. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These blocks are great! I love your "minimalist flying geese" block, I have the Liberated Quilt Making book, and have been waiting to give this a try! I always love your birdie stitches blocks, I need to try something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful blocks and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! It feels nice to get those blocks marked off your list, doesn't it (and only halfway through June!)?

    P.S. I just saw your bookshelf tutorial featured on The Fabric Shopper. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous bee blocks! That reminds me that I have to get going on my June blocks. It always feels so good to get 'em done. The Birdie Stitches block is so fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Birdie Stitches is so cool. I'm a total typeface/font nerd too so I plan on outlining them like you did. But I'm still working on February's block...*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so on top of things, as always! Your house block is adorable, especially with that little doggy. I'm sure Cara will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your output is incredible - I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how you did your Birdie Stitches block! I just printed mine out today (I'm still stitching on March...). I wasn't sure how to stitch such fat letters, but I like how you outlined them. It looks beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat