Friday, March 4, 2011

What a year it's been...

Just a year ago today, I started my very first quilt, thanks to a budding fabric addiction.  It's a really shoddy quilt, looking back on it, but it was definitely the start of something big for me.  Previous to this quilt, I had sewn a few receiving blankets and some burp cloths.  I had always thought quilting was pretty awesome, thanks to my amazing aunt who has quilted for most of her life, but had never thought I could do it myself.  My mother attempted to teach me to sew as a kid, but it didn't really stick.  I cross-stitched for a while, but eventually gave up after getting frustrated by the tedious patterns.

I bought a sewing machine at the beginning of 2010 on a whim, and slowly began gathering fabrics.  What for?  I didn't really know right away.  I started reading everything I could about sewing, and started some small sewing projects here and there, like some simple flannel blankets, burp cloths, and even a simple sling bag.


I picked up Amy Karol's Bend-the-Rules Sewing book at the library and I found a super simple strip quilt pattern, and I felt compelled to try it.  I had no idea what I was doing, barely knew how to measure and cut fabric, it's amazing the quilt was even a rectangle.  I used store-bought binding, which I haven't done since, and totally fudged my way through mitering the corners.  So, like I said, it's a little shoddy, but it's my first quilt, and it made me a quilter.  This little quilt stoked a fire in me that has kept me quilting for the last year.


It's kind of hard to believe I've only been doing this for a year, I feel like it'e been a part of my life forever now.  I feel so lucky to have found a hobby that I enjoy so much that brings such joy to me.  Happy quiltaversary to me, I'm so glad I found quilting and then found all of you wonderful people to share it with.  Your comments and feedback really make my day and it's so nice to find others who share my passion.  I hope you all have a wonderful day!  :)

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your quilt anniversary! I've been quilting for 30 years and enjoy it more and more each day. It's amazing all the wonderful things it brings to you besides the joy of sewing. Here's to many more years! Love reading and seeing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your quiltaversary! I love hearing people's first quilt stories. Your quilt is pretty good. You definitely used cooler fabrics than I did in my first quilt! hee hee. I've been quilting for a little over a year myself and it seems like so much longer doesn't it? Happy I found your blog and wishes for many more years quilting and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! What an amazing year you've had. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your quilt is beautiful! Congratulations! I've only been quilting since this past October, it's amazing how much you learn with each project you complete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You deserve a big pat on the back and a treat...maybe a bit of fabric shopping is in order! I am definately going to make the Sliced Coins quilt once I get a few other UFOs out of the way. Thanks for sharing through your blog, it's a fun journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can not believe you have only been quilting for a year! And leading your own quilt along? Cathedral Windows? Amazing! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't believe you have only been at this for one year! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm coming up on a year in a couple of months, and i'm still in shock, too! my mom does not let me forget that she NEVER would've guessed i would become a quilter. my mom is not a quilter, but my grandma was, and she says how proud my grandma would be of me if she were still alive, because she made several quilts throughout her life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've accomplished so much in a year! Congrats on the milestone. I can't wait to see what this next year has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quilt was start to something bigger. It is a soothing and relaxing hobby. I am excited to see what the next year brings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Happpy 1 year! I am coming up on my 1 year in May, and I agree, it seems mush longer, and it is a big part of my life now! Glad we are bloggy friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've only been quilting a year?? Holy smokes! You blow me away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome~I also find it hard to believe you've been quilting for such a short time! You are a pro!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy anniversary! It's hard to believe that you have only being quilting for a year. Here's to many, many more!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations E! I CANNOT believe you've only been doing this a year. What on earth did you pour all this passion into before??? You are a superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yea for quilting! Congrats on the quilt anniversary! I enjoy checking out your blog and seeing what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! You are WAY to talented to have only started this a year ago -- WOW!
    I'm just amazed at what you've accomplished in the past year.
    Can't wait to see what you're up to in year #2!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, such stunning progress in just one year! And what a year you've had! Congrats on your anniversary! : ) I certainly have enjoyed sharing your sewing adventures with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to see what the next year brings for you. I'll definitely be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Elisabeth! Congratulations! Who could believe that watching your work! I'm happy to know you and to follow your sewing and quilting!
    Sunny wishes! Teje

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat