Wednesday, January 16, 2013

WiP Wednesday: The one with lots of speed

Now that my Sapphire is safely at my dealer's for a thorough cleaning, it's time to get up close and personal with my new-to-me Juki. I spent some quality time with the owners' manual yesterday, and managed to get it threaded, with some 50 wt Aurifil, my favorite. I also wound some bobbins, which thankfully wasn't rocket science. Loading the bobbins, on the other hand, was a challenge, just because it's very different from the previous machines I've owned, but I think I've figured it out now.

I did a good chunk of paper piecing yesterday with the Juki, which was somewhat humorous - I've mentioned that this machine is fast, but I'm really not exaggerating! This can totally run away with you, if you let it, so I spent a bit of time trying to learn how to handle the foot pedal to manipulate the speed the way I wanted it, and I was able to get it worked out nicely.

I got started on my Doll Quilt Swap mini, which is forcing me to sort through my scraps. This will probably be my next pattern, with a few different block sizes included, so stay tuned for more of these blocks!

Doll Quilt Swap - block 1 of 9

I started working on the March pattern for the Lucky Stars BOM, which I'm absolutely loving, in part because I'm forcing myself to use fabrics that are really precious to me. The gorgeous fuchsia Yuwa print came from Ayumi's Etsy shop, and I absolutely adore it. It totally makes this block sing.

Lucky Stars - March in progress

That reminds me, I haven't shared the February block, which will be heading to all Lucky Stars BOM club members in just two short weeks! I love the exploding effect of this one, so it will be called the Expoding Star.

Lucky Stars - Feb

Also on my mind this week is on a nice little cover for this Juki, since it didn't come with one. I'm thinking of using one of the designs I'm not using for my Doll Quilt swap project to adorn my new cover, I just need to start picking out some fabrics for it. I see some black yard dyed Essex in my future...

33 comments:

  1. I'm in love with that rainbow mini!! Of course I'm a sucker for anything ROYGBIV, but it really is gorgeous - didn't even realize it was so scrappy until I looked closely. Gorgeous work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that rainbow block!

    Have fun with your Juki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great paper piecing projects. Just the the Juki do it's thing and keep your fingers out of it's way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The doll quilt block is very eye catching!!

    Your new machine must be a happy camper with you then since it's a speed demon!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the top block, it looks beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're having fun with your Juki!
    And I just LOVE the february star block; can't wait to get started on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! You'll love your Juki...try the foot with the 1/4" guide. It looks like a regular foot on the left side and a little brick on the right side. When you sew, only the left side moves, the right remains stationary to act as a guide...It is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the blocks. The lucky star is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your paper piecing skills are amazing!! Those are all so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to get working on THIS month's block!!! Love February's block!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how everything is so bright! Certainly makes it fun to stitch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The February star ist beautiful! I think, I will take this pattern for my star sampler. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your new block, especially the patchiness of the rainbow bits

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much paper-piecing goodness going on here!! I'm really enjoying reading about your Juki as well. I've been thinking about picking one up for my backup machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous fabric choices in all of them. So pleased to hear your coming to grips with your Juki and it is helping you sew up some gorgeous blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The doll quilt start is FABULOUS!!!! I am looking forward to my next star!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving your color choices! The color wheel block is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful blocks-all so different but so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The exploding star looks familiar...is that the one you used for my pouch? Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. like your pattern of the first picture. 'Though I didn't recognize the arrows first, but that may be a problem of me. Like the exploding star. I thought a lot about joining the club but for now I decided that I want to tackle other projects first. I like the different ways people sewed the blocks 'though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love everything you do ~ the color choices are fab and looking forward to the next block (the March one too). I finally figured out what was wrong with my computer (it wouldn't download the PDF's, so now I can get started on the BOM!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love my Juki and really hope you grow to love yours once you get it all set the way you like. I dont have the industrial one,just the exceed but I found that Janome feet fit on my machine and I got the foot with the quarter inch guide on it. I love it. Your blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The February Lucky Star looks so beautiful, it'll be a pleasure to sew it! Martina

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can already tell that I am going to have a hard time waiting from month to month for the new block pattern to come!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Your DQS Partner is pretty lucky! :) It's looking great!

    Glad to hear you're enjoying Juki! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ps - does your new machine have a name? Do you name them?

    ReplyDelete
  27. The rainbow mini is stunning! I just signed up (a little late) for your star BOM, the blocks are irresistible LOL

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad to hear it's going well with the Juki so far. I was interested in the 2010 model as it has a speed limiter and I've used that feature quite a bit on my Brother sewing machine while learning new techniques. Thought it might be helpful given how fast the Juki goes, but sadly there wont be an equivalent upgrade released for the 98P here in Oz. On the upside it means I don't have to choose which makes my job easier (:

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, your paper piecing skills are awesome!! Great job Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, wow - beautiful blocks! I love your colour choices, especially on the bottom one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat