Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A few skipped stitches...

...is apparently enough to turn me into a cursing sailor. I spit out quite the slew of expletives yesterday, as I attempted to use my Sapphire for some simple piecing. It was as though the top thread tension would get weird and off every 5" or 6", although the bobbin thread tension was completely unaffected. New needles, new thread, new bobbins, re-threading, de-linting, I tried a bunch of things to fix it, to no avail. Thankfully, my dealer was very supportive and has taken it in for servicing free of charge, since it just came back from a service with a clean bill of health. Hopefully it will come back to me, in one piece and functioning, shortly.

Wtf, sapphire??? I've changed the needle, the thread, the bobbin, even the fabric I'm sewing with, and every six our seven inches of stitching i do, i get one our two of these poor stitches. Thoughts??

In the meantime, I've been pressing and cutting like a machine, getting a couple of new projects started. One of them is a new Hip to Be Square quilt, for the pattern that I'll be releasing later this year. This quilt pattern was originally in an issue of Quiltmaker back in the beginning of 2012, and makes for a fun repeat as you put blocks together. This new Hip to Be Square quilt will be featuring one of my current favorite fabric lines, Patty Young's Textured Basics. These prints are so darned vibrant and perfect for stash building!




I also cut into a fun mish-mash stack of Art Gallery prints this week, whilst watching this weekend's episode of Downton Abbey. I ultimately had to put the iron and rotary cutter down and get a box of tissues. Talk about heart-wrenching! Fortunately, I had these lovely fabrics to cheer me up afterward.


I've still got one more stack of fabric to cut into, but first, I need to work on oodles of Art Gallery HSTs. I've promised myself I can press and cut more fabric after I finish all 320 HSTs for this quilt I'm working on. I'm finding that more and more, I'm actually enjoying pressing and cutting, which is funny, because I used to hate that part. I wanted to just hurry up and get to the piecing, but these days, I'm enjoying having some quality time with my fabric and my iron before I cut it all up.


Stay tuned on Friday - I was planning on sharing an FMQ tutorial, but after my Sapphire drama, we'll have to see whether or not I can get the hang of FMQ on the Juki today and tomorrow first. Wish me luck :)

25 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with thread at the top that went a bit coo-coo.. after doing exactly the same as you, changing needles etc. I tightened the little screw on the bobbin casing itself, and it made the world of difference.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you know Katie from Katie's Quilting Corner. She lives in your area. If you have not already, you should share machine stories. She has had a lot of tension issues with her Viking and discovered a remedy for one tiny part of it from a forum. Wishing you a fast return of your machine and that it is humming like a happy kitty when you get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, annoying! Hope it comes back as good as new! The tension is a little off on my machine too -- I think it's time for a service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also needed a little cheering up after this week's Downton Abbey. My remedy was to order some Kate Spain Good Fortune that was on sale. Just knowing it was on its was cheered me up immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, that Downton Abbey! I can't get Cybil out of my mind. I don't sew or do anything during Downton, the only show I give my full attention to. It's just too wonderful to miss a moment!

    You're sewing pretty things, as always. It nice to see your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been having some issues with my HV Scandinavia and I really need to take it in this week for a tune-up. Ashamed to admit it, but I've never taken it in, and it's almost 5 years old :/ You're a busy lady.....glad you have a back-up machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, naughty Sapphire! I hope it's an easy/quick fix! Loving those textured basics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you get your machine back and in perfect working order! My Sapphire has been in repair since Dec. 31 because the metal piece that holds the needle in place sheered into two!!! It was fixed and shipped back, but was apparently dropped during shipping and had to go back for a broken base!!!! AHHH Hopefully it will be home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ehhhh - Tension issues have the same effect on my mouth. ;D And poor Amy! THe same needle-holder stress break happened to me on my Sapphire - caused by my forgetting that I needed to tell the machine when I was free-motion quilting instead of sewing. Haven't had any other problems, and I hope I don't get this one that you just had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh!!! Downton was the worst this week! :( I can never sew during it--if I ever got one of my quilts to a hand binding stage, maybe I'd do that, but it requires my full attention!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen the most recent episode of Downton Abbey as yet so I didn't read much of your post or any of the comments. But think I need to get it watched.
    Sorry about your machine. Darn it. (I did read that part). I've been hearing a lot of people talking about having problems with their machines ~ all sorts of machines. Hope the problem got fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darn sewing machines sometimes! They are good and evil. You have too much going on for that mess to happen. I am with ya on that note!

    Hope you have a MUCH better go at the Juki!

    ReplyDelete
  13. skipped stitches drive me up a wall. And don't get me started on tension issues. I could scream.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post reminded me that I needed to catch up on this week's Downton Abbey episode. I pretty much bawled through the whole second half. It sure is a good thing my husband wasn't home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor Sybil! So, so sad! I don't think I could have sewn through this weeks ep...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for new patterns! (boo for thread tension problems)

    Could you please explain how it works when you publish a pattern in a magazine, is the pattern afterwards still 'yours' in the way that you can do with it what you like? Like selling it or making it a free pattern or whatever?
    Or are magazines usually buying those patterns and are entitled the rights of use if it´s not negotiated otherwise? As a legal eagle I´m just curious how these things work in the US so please forgive the cheeky question ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like KatieQ's name...Naughty Sapphire! :) I think you have to name her that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 320?! That would scare me off, but I admit I really do enjoy systematically pressing and trimming a big stack of quilt blocks. (and I had to use a good stack of tissues during DA this week. Beyond sad.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had a bad feeling about the episode and read some spoilers, so I knew what was coming -- terrible writing I think! :(
    Bummer about the machine, but the fabric IS pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ugh, it's annoying when your machine doesn't want to play nicely.
    Love the Textured Basics block, gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad the dealer is taking back your machine, hope they can fix it quickly! And yes, Downton broke my heart this week. I did NOT see that coming.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I woke up on Monday feeling like I'd lost something important. Silly, really - it's fiction - but it still bummed me right out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What's the name of that orange fabric in your last photo with the denim 1/2 square triangle?? Don't you have a back-up machine?
    ~ Tabatha at BendingPins.com ~

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too used to hate cutting and ironing, and wanted to just piece. Now, I am embracing the cutting part more. I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You know, I had that same thing happen except it was when I was switching presser feet. I was trying out some new feet and the foot that I tried caused those little loops in the top thread. As soon as I changed back to my regular foot it was perfect.... very weird....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat