Monday, January 21, 2013

Spin the Rainbow Wheel of Fortune!

I sure hope you had a nice weekend! I spent much of my weekend working on my Doll Quilt Swap project for my partner, and it's now officially finished. I am absolutely in love with the way it's come together, and I know I'm going to have a hard time sending it off, but at the same time, I'm really excited to send it to my partner. I sure hope that she'll like it!

DQS - Rainbow Wheel of Fortune

This miniquilt is made up of nine foundation paper pieced 6" blocks, each block using nine different main colors, in three different fabrics. By my count, there's over 218 different fabrics in this 18" mini. I pulled from my scrap bins for all of the prints, and used Kona Ash and Kona Charcoal for the two grays. 

IMG_2490

One of my favorite parts about this miniquilt is the way the grays come together to form a star when the blocks are pulled together. I had a really hard time figuring out how to quilt this, but ultimately, I went with a simple outline around the wheels, which emphasizes those stars really well. 

DQS - Rainbow Wheel of Fortune - detail 1

I bound this mini in Art Gallery Pure Elements in Caviar, which has a gorgeous sheen in person. It does a beautiful job framing the mini. I love working with those Art Gallery solids, they are just so soft and smooth. 

DQS - Rainbow Wheel of Fortune - detail2

I make a little label for the back, using a piece of fabric, some freezer paper, and my printer, and pieced it into the backing, but I somehow managed to foul up the year on the label. Darned 2012. The swap did start in 2013, so I suppose it's not entirely inaccurate, but still. I didn't realize it until Terri pointed it out on IG after I had started the binding, so I didn't change it. I hope my partner won't hate me for that! 

DQS - Backing

Quilt Stats
name: Rainbow Wheel of Fortune
size: 18" square
pattern: my own, coming soon, called Wheel of Fortune, foundation paper pieced using 50 wt Aurifil
quilting: simple straight line outline in 50wt Aurifil in color 2024 (white)
fabrics: So many it's nearly impossible to list them all!
backing: Lucy's Crab Shack Plaid in Ocean by Sweetwater for Moda Fabrics

I'm working on a pattern for this quilt, and much like in my Lucky Stars BOM, there will be two block sizes shared in the pattern, a 6" and a 12." I started on the 12" blocks at the Tampa Modern Quilt Guild meeting over the weekend, using one of the stacks of fabric I pulled last week for my Juki cover. Stay tuned for a pattern release some time next week!

Todays progress at the #tampamodernquiltguild sew day...bit to shabby considering i did all my cutting there! Working on a 12 block quilt here...

32 comments:

  1. This is so awesome Elizabeth, lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous work and color choices, thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pattern. Works equally well with bold rainbow and the softer pallet below.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful, and I love how you have several fabrics for each color in each wheel - A detail that just makes is extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful!! It reminds me of Anna Maria Horner's Spinning Stars. The colors you chose are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous!!!! you have one lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth - this is just so darn pretty! It turned out so beautifully…. Can't wait for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is totally amazing! I'm a sucker for rainbows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just so amazing! Btw, I did the same thing with my label by accident! Glad to hear it wasn't just me. Blasted year change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous! I noticed that grey centre star too - love that detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool, love all the rainbowy goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth they are mighty beautiful and very happy looking - I'm sure your swap partner will love her quilt, I know I sure would.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous! i just love it and can't wait for your pattern to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the sense of movement created with all of the scraps and the stars are so striking. it almost reads as an optical illusion...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazingly gorgeous!
    I'll cross my fingers that it's coming my way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A-mazing!! You've outdone yourself with this one, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful quilt ~ lucky person getting it!
    Great block too ~ looking forward to making one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic! Can't wait for the pattern to come out, sure I will like it as much as the Lucky Stars blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing! It's so little. Your partner is lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So I've never really commented on blogs before but I couldn't help myself when I saw this! Just *love* this design! I've been working on a gem-inspired paper piecing template myself, but you are obviously a pro and this is really quite stunning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my wow! I think this is just amazing! Great job Elizabeth. Now I want this pattern...bad!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely gorgeous! The colours are divine, so cheerful. Very clever pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice love the colors and that pattern would also look great with civil war fabric too,and make a full size quilt with them that would look really amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat