Monday, January 7, 2013

Scraptacular, scraptacular!

Have you seen Moulin Rouge? It's one of my all-time favorite movies. I can hardly say the word spectacular without feeling the urge to break out into a rendition of "Spectacular, Spectactular." Anyway, I had a little bit of scraptacular fun this weekend, plugging away at my Scrappy Trip Along quilt.

Scrappy Trip Along - blocks 1-4


I don't really have a plan, at least I didn't really, until I started on that first block, and loved having the text print in the middle. Then I thought it would be kind of neat to do something like a values quilt with a bit of a diamond effect, tying the blocks together. This group of blocks has different text prints tying them together in the center. This does involve a bit more planning and thinking than I would have liked for a scrappy quilt, but I think I'll be happy with the end result. Want to join in on the scrappy fun? Find the block tutorial here and the Flickr group to share your progress here.

Scrappy strips

I've still got lots more strips to cut yet, but I'm probably about halfway, and I've managed to pull out the remaining scraps and pressed them, in preparation for today, the first day back at school after winter break. I'm looking forward to a little bit of quiet, but I had so much fun with my munchkin these last two weeks, especially when we surprised him with a trip to Legoland Florida over the weekend. He's positively obsessed with Legos, so Legoland was every bit as magical to him as Disney was last year. Have a happy Monday everyone!

12 comments:

  1. It's looking fantastic Elizabeth. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea.....I LOVE scrap quilts and yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cut strips for one of these quilts last week... of course, I don't have quite that many scraps and didn't want to take the time to pull a bunch of fabrics together, so I just used a fat quarter set that I had purchased. It gave me almost enough fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your idea of using the text prints as the center strip! The cutting is totally the worst part! I'm on round two, after stitching up all the strips I cut from round one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm scrappy trip a longing too. Mine is totally scrappy. Love your text prints!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love'n your scrappy trip squares!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...in the words of the venacular! We have "until the end of time " inscribed in our rings and Come What May is our song :) Are you curious to see what Baz does with The Great Gatsby?

    Love your idea with the text prints!
    elizabeth

    Lwghosts@yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is looking fabulous, Elizabeth! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like everyone is having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would want to plan out the scrappiness if I made one with prints. So I try and avoid pictures of them so I wont want to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you seen Moulin Rouge...what kind of question is that?
    I can't wait to do a scrappy trip...I just ordered a rotary cutter, I'm starting when that comes in the mail! Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat