Wednesday, June 13, 2012

WiP Wednesday: The one with the new and improved sewing space

Ah, the first Wednesday of the summer. I'm having a hard time finding my summer groove so far, and haven't spent a whole lot of time sewing, but I have been going through this odd little belated spring cleaning spree. The biggest accomplishment I've made this last week is a big reorganization of my sewing space. I can now proudly say that I know exactly what fabrics I have and more importantly, where they all are!! I'm so glad that I spent some time doing this, it was totally worthwhile.

BEFORE
IMG_8294
lots of leaning towers of fabric!

AFTER
DSCN9545
no more piles!

DSCN9546
nice drawers for all of my fat quarters, unsorted scraps, and selvages

DSCN9548
sorted scraps on top of the bookcases

DSCN9552
precuts right where I can see them!

I did wrap up two big projects late last week, my EZ Dresden Challenge quilt, Dresden Stairs, and my Zakka Sew Along project, the Orchard Path pouch. Giveaways are open through the end of the week on each of those blog posts, too, so if you haven't entered yet, hop on over!

IMG_9180rt IMG_9359

In other sewing news, I've got a bunch of catching up to do now that I've got a nice, clean space again.  Here's what I've got going on:

In the works: 

Bee blocks for Kati - Kati is working on a really cool star sampler and since I'm in two bees with her, I'll be making two different star blocks for her. I think I may draft one myself and do a Florida star for the other. I really love the color scheme Kati's using for this quilt!

DSCN9567

Bee block for Tiffany - Tiffany's asked for a Crown of Thorns block, and I had fun pulling some blue scraps together for this block. I got started with some half-square triangles for this block and I'm hoping to wrap this up to get this block in the mail next week.

a2b7beacb4c011e188131231381b5c25_7


Christmas in July project - I'm super excited about the Christmas in July festivities that are coming up next month. I'm still debating on what I'm going to do, but I am having fun finding some non-holiday fabrics that still give me that good old holiday feeling!

DSCN9568

Bella Parade project - I've got a new tutorial to share with you all on Saturday, using four new Bella solids and some fun print coordinates that have been in my stash for a while. Still need to put the finishing touches on it, but it's almost ready.

3ad3d888b19c11e19dc71231380fe523_7


Stalled at the moment:

Patchwork Wheel quilt
New munchkin quilt
Farmer's Wife quilt

What are you working on this week? Write it up and share it over at Lee's WiP Wednesday linky!

32 comments:

  1. Looks amazing!! I love how you have your fabric organized. Tips please!! I clean my sewing room a couple of times a month but it never stays clean long!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing - those were first words also in my mind! That is every quilting girl's dream! Enjoy and have fun! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sewing space is just amazing, wow!
    Can you come organize mine?!
    And the Dresden Stairs are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your stash looks amazing! And I love your Dresden-Project! It's a very good way to do an interpretation of that pattern! And your colors are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've got your own fabric store at home! Can I come over to shop? Your dresden project looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great organization! I organized over the weekend too. But my was fueled by finding my missing magnets. I'm tidy, but my magnets are still missing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! YOu practically have a fabric store in your house! :) I love how organized it looks! Everything looks beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - you did good! How nice to have everything organized! And congrats on your two lovely finishes! Looking forward to your tutorial...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! Your sewing space looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do mini bolts too! It's so satisfying and beautiful, isn't it? I think I only have about 1/24 of your stash though-- I'm seriously envious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! I love pretty stacked fabric :) I see your row of 505 - where did you order? I've been scouting some sources.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sewing space looks awesome. And of course your have fabulous projects underway as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is my goal to have as much fabric as you do! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that fabric!! I am in love and awe. And your Dresden Stairs is feeding my obsessive love of all chevron and/or zigzag patterned, thankyou!

    PS - I am going to be super cheeky and casually inform you that there is Christmas in July Secret Santa swap happening over on my Blossom Heart blog *wink wink* I LOVE Christmas, so am totally up for twice the fun each year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is almost nothing better than a clean and organized sewing space, I'm feeling motivated to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I aspire to have my sewing area as organized as your "before" picture! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how nice and clean your sewing area looks! I am also in a belated "spring cleaning" mode and get sidetracked easily. Have not used those mini-bolts but am wondering how they would work with big pieces of fabric, like 3+ yards. Also, are they very expensive? I have a variety of cuts, like fat eights, fat quarters, so am thinking those would stay the way they are. Any help/tips in organizing my stash would help, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love seeing sewing spaces, and your looks fab! Love the fabrics you've pulled!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your space looks awesome, Elizabeth. I think I'll be switching to vertical storage of my fabric. Do you wrap it around cardboard?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh, I love your Christmas fabric pull! Looks fun. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I want your room! And your supply of basting spray (I've run out lol)

    Loving the look of all the projects anyway :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the sewing space! The new look really highlights the fabric..you don't mind if I pop over for a quick visit (with a large bag)?

    Great fabric choices for the new projects =D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice! I love the organized sewing space, and I'm envious that you know where all of your fabric is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good for you! Isn't it nice to work in an organized sewing space?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I would love to have your stash!! and the tidiness....great job on the shelves. Nice projects too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hold the phone! You have to KNOW that your BEFORE pictures are better than what my AFTER pictures would EVER!!! look like. I"m amazed!! It's a perfect space! Working on bits and pieces of UFO's , thing I love to work on and things I don't love so much, but need to be done to "cleanse my sewing palatte!".

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow i'm jealous of your sewing room!!! love the way you store your scrap in plastic container! How you place it? color or size??

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice stash! Even one glimpse of the before picture had me thinking "fabric heaven"! Now it's even better. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I adore your sewing space!! Also - I'm really looking forward to your bella parade project! :) And those chevron-flying geese are so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on cleaning! I love the feel of a clean area...no matter where it is in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow....as a fairly newbie quilter I am in awe of your fabric 'stash' Can you please tell me...when you are buying precut fabrics that you don't have earmarked for a specific project...how much do you buy? a metre, two metres, more? I tend to buy fat quarters because I don't know how much to buy off the bolt. Thanks for sharing your pictures and your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks great! That's a lot of work. Love your fabric display - especially the solids. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat