Friday, May 13, 2011

Bloggers' Quilt Festival: Drunk Love Quilt for Kayla

If this is your first visit to my blog, welcome! I'm super excited to participate in Bloggers' Quilt Festival, the spring edition, hosted by Amy's Creative Side today. If you've never participated before, you simply must visit the Festival. It's a veritable treasure trove of quilty inspiration! The quilts range from monochromatic to bursting with color, from traditional to modern to art quilts, from beginners to experts, and it's a ton of fun to participate in.

MHC Drunk Love quilt - finished

I'm featuring my first charity quilt today for Bloggers' Quilt Festival. Last year, when I first began quilting and reading quilty blogs, I saw lots of mentions of Margaret's Hope Chest, and after a while, I finally followed some links to read more about the charity. They have given over 1,000 quilts away to needy children and families and accept unquilted quilt tops, quilt blocks, and completed quilts. Their Wrapped in Hope program appealed to me most, a program where quilters can sign up to make a birthday quilt for a child with a parent in prison. I picked Kayla, who would be turning 18 in April. The fact that she was turning 18 was what drew me to her - I thought to myself, here is a young woman beginning her journey into adulthood, without her father present in her life. I wanted to make something for her that would not only warm her on a cold night, but that would maybe fill her home with hope and love.

MHC Fabric Stack

I started with the information provided by her mother, that Kayla loved the color pink and ballet. After failing to find a single ballet-centered fabric that felt like it was for a child over the age of 8, I decided to stick with the color pink. I added a few other colors, lime and aqua, to give the quilt a bit more depth, and began hunting for a pattern. One day, while cleaning house and organizing my stacks and stacks of magazines, I came upon my seriously large stack of Martha Stewart Living magazines and remembered a quilt I saw in Martha Stewart Living a million years ago - a feature on Denyse Schmidt that showed off a one of her amazing quilts, Drunk Love in a Log Cabin. I remember thinking that quilting might just be kind of cool after seeing that quilt. I had Denyse's awesome book on my shelf, with has a variation on that pattern in it, but I decided to just wing it.

MHC Block #1

I cut the fabric into strips of various sizes, and went to town putting the blocks together. I was working at the same time on my Single Girl quilt, and the freedom of randomly piecing these blocks together after the tediousness of the Single Girl pattern was a much needed release.

MHC quilt blocks - done!

I wasn't sure at first how I wanted to put the blocks together - if I wanted to sash them to break them up a bit, or if I wanted to just put them all together. I put the blocks up on my design wall with some space between them to simulate sashing, and I just wasn't happy with it, so I skipped the sashing.

Close-up of finished MHC quilt top

For the quilting, I stuck with my old stand-by, a meandering stipple, in white thread. I like how it looks with this quilt, how it doesn't distract from the overall design of the blocks, but a small part of me wishes I had tried to outline quilt all of the blocks. Maybe next time I make a quilt like this, I'll give it a try.

Drunk love - another quilting close-up

Quilt Stats:
Size: 60" x 75"
Fabrics: Park Slope by Erin McMorris, June Bug by Alexander Henry, Soul Blossoms by Amy Butler, Wild Garden by Dan Bennett, Flora & Fauna by Patty Young, Nicey Jane by Heather Bailey, Weekends by Erin McMorris, and Kona Peony for binding
Quilting: All-over meandering stipple in white thread

Margaret's Hope Chest's Wrapped in Love program is all filled up for 2011, but if you want to get involved, they do accept unfinished quilt tops, quilt blocks, and fabric donations as well as finished quilts. For more information on MHC, visit their blog or website.

Amy's Creative Side | Bloggers' Quilt Festival

78 comments:

  1. Bright and colorful, and a great cause. Good job, Elizabeth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still in love with this quilt, Elizabeth! I didn't notice the little touches of yellow before--so pretty! And I know Kayla is loving it too.

    I'm so glad Blogger is behaving again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love loving this quilt. A LOT. Happy BQF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have had a lot of fun making this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, I still love this quilt so much! I need to do a quilt for this cause too, it's so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very spectacular, congratulations:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt! The colors are wonderful and I love the wonky blocks. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my fav so far at the BQF (my first). The colours are lovely for a teenager. I'm still amaized the generosity of bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have loved this quilt all along. I'm glad you chose it to feature. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty and fun! It really turned out nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so in love with the close-ups of the blocks...seriously

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such a kind heart :) The quilt is absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Elisabeth! I love this quilt - colours are so sweet and this pattern is 'always best'!
    You made a lovely post for your quilt and festival!
    Sunshine from Teje

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your quilt, gorgeous fabrics and colour and what a fabulous simple pattern! I was very touched by your story, what a lovely thing you have done, Kayla will surely treasure that quilt forever. I will definitely check out this charity for the future. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's such a pretty quilt! I love all the pink and the bits of black, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sweetness:) Love this pink number!! TY for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, it's just lovely! I love all the pinks and the prints! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely! I'm sure Kayla is thrilled. But tell me how can a program that gives quilts away to needy people be all filled up? Are we running out of needy people in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilt! I really like the fabrics.

    Can I ask how you decided to cut up you fabrics? Any particular patterns or logic to it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful quilt - the young lady is a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty, what a kind and thoughtful gift

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the meander. We always think there was a better way after we finish don't we? Great quilt great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  23. lovely quilt and how sweet to do this for a young woman who needs all the encouragement she can get. had two children in one of my classes with dads in prison--hard for them to have good self esteem most of the time. i'm a purply and pink lover so can relate to the colors. just great!! thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the quilt love :) BQF is so fun!

    Janet, to answer your question, the Wrapped in Hope program provides birthday quilts to children with a parent in prison but it does require the parent to sign up with MHC. Right now, all of the children signed up with birthdays this year are all paired up with a quilter. There's certainly no shortage of needy children, I agree, but those who are currently enrolled in the program are matched up. I apologize if that was unclear in my post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely colors! Pink is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This quilt is seriously beautiful - and made even more so by its story! I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, how I love this quilt! I'm so glad Kayla has it now and loves it too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think this quilt is stunning! I love how the colors all come together. I know the piecing was a labor of love. I bet the recipient was very touched.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A fabulous quilt for a wonderful cause! I make a lot of charity quilts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This was one of my favorites when you first posted about it, and its still one of my favorites now! Love love love :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such a pretty quilt.
    This style of piecing is on my to-do list but after seeing this, I have bumped it up the list :)
    Such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the idea behind the quilt, I love that you put so much into it in finding the right fabrics, I think I just love everything about it (and am off to visit Margaret's Hope Chest).

    We have a local quilting group, called Caring Hearts, which I plan to visit at their meeting in June. I hope they'll accept help from this beginner.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is a fantastic quilt. It is so colourful and warming. What a perfect choice for an 18 year old girl. I love the fabrics you have chosen and enjoyed reading the story behind the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like the way this quilt looks, not too girlie, but pink stands out. I am sure the recipient will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This quilt grabbed my eye! Such a fun scrappy look. I can't believe you are giving it away! You and your quilt are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful quilt! I love the colours! What a beautiful contribution to that 18-year-old!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello and thanks for the kind comment on my blog. I;ve been following your blog for a little while now as i love your work so its flattering that you like my quilt! also, I notice you are in Florida, im going on holiday there next week 9im from the u,k) just wondering if you can recommend any fabric shops in teh Disney area? we are staying in kissimee and im dying to find some great fabric stores thanks Dana :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful quilt for a wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's beautiful, Elizabeth, I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. A GREAT quilt for a GREAT cause - Well DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for sharing this, beautiful girly quilt for a good cause. She will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This quilt is wonderful! I love the colours together, and it is so great that you made it for someone who needed it but who you did not even know!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Nice to see this quilt again! Thanks for the info on MHC- I will definitely have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  45. wow that's beautiful, both the quilt and the story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Really cool! what a gift for that young woman!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I never get tired of seeing this quilt, it is just so gorgeous and such a lovely story behind it! Nice choice for the BQF

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love this idea, and I love this quilt! Very bright and colorful; ideal for an 18 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love this quilt and I love this idea. I know they are filled up for 2011 but I've been thinking a lot about reaching out to see if we can't start a local chapter here but I'm not sure I can commit to that level just yet.

    Anyway, your quilt is lovely and I have no doubt she thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Beautifully done, and for such a great cause. I hope this young woman enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  51. oh gosh, oh gosh, so completely adore all the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a sweet quilt. I really love the use of a little yellow to make this pop. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Bright and gorgeous! And what a fantastic cause!

    ReplyDelete
  54. It's a beauty! So good of you to select an older kid to quilt for, they do seem to get left out!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love this pattern and your quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  56. That is SO beautiful!! Great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. That is a beautiful quilt and I'm sure that Kayla will treasure it. Eighteen is a tough age for a girl and I'm sure you made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  58. It really is a beautiful quilt, I love that you included the lime and aqua and little pops of colour. I'm sure Kayla will love her quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I have always loved this quilt! It is the perfect quilt for a young woman and I'm sure she just loved it!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. Beautiful quilt with a beautiful story! I love the colors, perfect for a young woman; well done!

    ReplyDelete
  61. What a gorgeous quilt. I love making charity quilts but hadn't heard of this program. I am going to check them out. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Beautiful quilt and beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  63. what a great story, and quilt! I think it will be much appreciated.
    You can see my submission to the Blogger's Quilt Festival here: http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2011/05/bloggers-quilt-festival.html

    ReplyDelete
  64. I love the pink in this quilt. Your story is inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Awesome quilt!! I don't get to us emuch pink, so I am a sucker for a pink quilt. Thanks for sharing!

    Cheers!
    Rachel
    http://www.dewberrylane.com

    ReplyDelete
  66. What a labor of love for a great cause. So sweet - I'm sure it will be treasured. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Such a beautiful quilt -- and for a great cause! I'm sure it will be treasured by that young woman!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Wow this one is one of my favorites for sure! :) Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  69. this is amazing...i love the black in it!!! it really brings it alive

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat