Monday, May 30, 2011

1,320 pieces of fabric later...

Thank you all for your feedback and what to do with my spiderweb quilt top last week.  Ultimately, I decided to stick with no sashing around the blocks, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.  Although, I'm not 100% sure I'm calling it done.  I'm seriously considering adding a white border, followed by a pieced border, but it's entirely possibly I may just skip it.  Either way, I'm setting it aside for a little while.  This quilt top and I need a little bit of space.

DSCN4121

This quilt started with the fantastic girls in the {Sew} Beautiful bee, but then when I realized that there were only 11 of us, and the finished block for this quilt was 10.75" inches, I realized I'd have to make more blocks.  Lots more blocks.  So I made 19 more, for a nice 5x6 quilt.

DSCN4136

There's roughly about 1200 strings in this quilt top, plus 120 kites, so we're looking at around 1300 pieces of fabric in this quilt top.  I have a good bit of fabric left from the strings - uncut and whole fabric, that is - so I definitely plan to do a pieced back, although I think I'll keep it relatively simple.

DSCN4131

I have no idea how I'm going to quilt this bad boy just yet - maybe straight lines?  Regardless of how I quilt it, I know I want to quilt it densely, to try to tame those seriously bumpy spiderweb middles, where there's as many as 10 fabrics meeting up at one center point.

DSCN4141

Now I'm going to fold this quilt top up and set it aside for a few weeks before I do anything else with it.  I'll think on the quilt back and the quilting, while I try to work on some other projects, like the Pillow Talk Swap round 5, which is super short and I need to get a move on like yesterday!

I'm linking up with {Sew} Modern Monday this week at Canoe Ridge Creations - hop on over to find some other fun modern finishes!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

Also linking up with Lily's Quilts' Fresh Sewing Day for the first time!

Fresh Sewing Day

34 comments:

  1. It is wonderful! That is a lot of pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love it so much, what a lot of hard work, but it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure is gorgeous! Wow. You're going to love pulling that out to finish up after you've had a break from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is gorgeous!! How many different fabrics did you use?? Maybe you don't even know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, it's beautiful. Definitely the right choice not to sash it. But I think a white border would be lovely!
    Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!! It's perfect just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is stunning! seriously, you really outdid yourself on this one. looking forward to seeing the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I don't think you need to do one more thing to this, it is just stunning as is! Great job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful. I'm not surprised you need a little space from it before moving on. I can only imagine the work gone into it.

    Craft and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Picking up jaw from the floor now! E, it's over-the-top incredible! 1300 pieces of fabric??? I can NOT believe you had the patience to make 19 more blocks! So glad I could contribute. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth, I'm pretty sure you're nutso!
    What a stunning quilt! It must have taken aaaaages! It is so nicely set off with the white kites, and I like it how it is, although I can see why you might want to border it.
    I will look forward to seeing the finished quilt, but I'm not trying to hurry you along!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This came out wonderfully! I'm glad you decided not to do the sashing. I think a border might be a good way to frame it and give some white space for the eye to rest. Either way, it is amazing! great job. I have no suggestions on the quilting. It will be hard where all those points meet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is Awesome I love all the colors and creativness in it. You did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful! I can totally see why you need a bit of space though! What a huge job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful! Congratulations on getting it this far done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is beautiful :-) I am taking a break from a quilt right now, too....sometimes we love them better after some distance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sense of accomplishment you must feel. I love it.Just quilt and bind!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Elisabeth! That is just unbelievable piece of art! I don't know if I could have count the pieces! It's really beautiful and I'm happy for you that the top is finished! Just thinking...could you quilt just those white 'stars'?
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful, vibrant quilt...Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Completely fabulous. You're very smart to put it aside before contemplating what (if anything) you want to do for borders. Bravo on finishing the piecing of the spiderwebs, though. I truly love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. Total dedication and it PAID OFF. That's amazing. I'm still ticked off the post office lost the block I made for this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is fantastic! What a sense of accomplishment for you! I'm glad to have played a (very small) part in this quilt. :)

    P.S. I saw this post yesterday morning but this is the first time I've been able to comment. Blogger is my nemesis right now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I looks fantastic! I know you were worried about having the stars stand out, but they definitely do even without the blocks being sashed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is a serious amount of work in that quilt top! It looks beautiful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it to pieces, I have just started my spiderweb, I know I have a task ahead of me, hope mine turns out just as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks great but I'm with you on a border!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I saw this via Lynne's Fresh Sewing day and it is just stunning! What a lot of work but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Flipping awesome! :) So glad I could contribute a block! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh this is looking so amazingly awesome! :) Great work & glad to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat