Saturday, April 16, 2011

April Friday Night Sew In: The Results

Handmade by Heidi


OK, so this month's Friday Night Sew In didn't exactly go as well as last month.  In fact, I didn't manage to sew a single stitch.  But, I did get a lot done, believe it or not!!

All stacked and ready to sew - two hours later!

I spent a lot of time preparing for sewing.  I cut all of my fabric for the pieced backing that I have planned for the back of my Supernova quilt, totally based on Jeni's amazing Plus quilt from last year.  That was one of my first favorites when I started using Flickr last year, and it's been on my To Make list since then.  I had so much It's a Hoot leftover after the Supernova quilt that I wanted to make another quilt top basically for the back of this quilt.  Here's hoping I can pull off making the seams line up.

Supernova back in progress

My dog was positively freaked out about all of the fabric all over the floor.  He sat in front of me, shaking, pretty much the entire time that I was working on laying out the squares.  Now that I'm all done, he's calmed down, chilling out on the couch, but he was just so bothered by how busy I was tonight.  It was so strange!  He's always been neurotic, but this was a new level of neuroses.

Stacks of fabric apparently freak out my dog

The other thing I worked on was ironing the fabric for my queen bee month in the String Me Along bee next month.  I still haven't 100% decided on what I'm going to do, but I am using the fabric I showed first on WiP Wednesday.  Now that I've ironed it all, I hope that will force me to make a decision and start cutting!

Fabric for String Me Along?

ETA: BTW, you must hop on over to Sew Fresh Fabrics' blog, as they are holding a seriously major giveaway.  A medium flat-rate box full of scraps!!!  That's more than enough to make a whole quilt!!  Tell them I sent you :)

18 comments:

  1. I love your idea for the backing!
    What kind of dog do you have? We have two, one is a shiba enu mixed w a cocker spaniel. It looks a lot like your dog. And he's neurotic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your plus quilt back. I am hoping to make one soon too, but in red and aqua. Glad you got a lot done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that plus quilt, too - you're brilliant to make your Supernova two-sided. I'm considering a similar approach (not the pluses but the 2-sided biz).

    Being the queen bee is a snotload of work. Worth it, but still a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is going to look so good Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great backing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with your quilt back! I finished mine last night (it's MUCH simpler than yours) so I'm hooding to get it basted today.

    P.S. Seems like your dog should be used to the whole fabric on the floor thing! Surely this isn't the first time he's seen that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Doggie. :D lol I'm laughing, but with sympathy, because one of our cats is pretty neurotic, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a yummy selection of fabrics for your bee! And the plus quilt will be amazing. LOVE it! I really have to try one of those. I'll look forward to seeing how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds a bit like my night... lots of ironing and cutting for me. I really like the quilts you are working on... and that stack of fabric is really delightful -- can't wait to see what it becomes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I had in mind a pieced back too, but not another WHOLE quilt! Truly amazing! Will love watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your quilt-to-be. You did get lots done. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay, okay, i'm going to finally break down and make a plus quilt. Yours is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got a TON done last night... prep work is important too!

    Your puppy looks very sweet....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would say you got a lot done!! Loved the fabrics you are using...it's going to be wonderful!! Hope your sweet doggie has recovered today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your plus back - what a nice compliment to supernova on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Elisabeth! Even you didn't sew you were busy! I love also that plus pattern!
    My dog 'Hanna' is worried with so many things and situations. For her, the reason is that she was thrown to our garden when she was only 4 weeks - she should haven been with her mom still long time! Perhaps you were just too busy and your dog thought you were nervous.
    Have a great time sewing with your lovely dog! Teje & Nero

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt back is very neat! I have not pieced a quilt back as of yet but this makes me want to. I did not sew anything either on Friday Night. I also pressed a lot of fabric and got a bag cut out and the fusible fleece fused on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. YOu are going to have a hard time deciding which side is up on this quilt! THey are both going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat