Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Found in the pages...

It's been a good mail week thus far - I got two great new magazines to read and it's only Wednesday! It's always fun to find quilting magazines in my mailbox - don't get me wrong, I love my subscriptions to a few other magazines, but the quilty ones are always the most fun to read, so I get real excited when I see them in my mailbox. This week's mail included the new issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited and Love of Quilting

Dark Star - FMQ detail - in the new MQU issue

I was super excited to see a quilt I haven't seen in a while in the pages of Modern Quilts Unlimited - my Dark Star quilt. I love this quilt to pieces, quite literally. It's sewn up in Modern Solids from In the Beginning, and I love how vibrant this quilt is, with the rich reds. It's a very simple quilt to piece, with just 12 blocks in the quilt, but I think it's super striking in its simplicity.

The new issue of MQU - Winter 2014

I must tell you about a bit of behind-the-pages drama with this quilt - I made a cutting error thanks to my chicken scratch quilt math and wound up wasting some fabric, and naturally, I was running out of time, so I needed the right fabric pronto, so I called the trusty staff at Pink Chalk Fabrics, who went above and beyond to get the fabric to me in time to meet my deadline, so thank you ladies! You're the best! Pink Chalk has a great selection of the In the Beginning solids, if you haven't tried them before. They have a beautiful sheen to them, with a bit of a cross-weave type quality to them, and the hand is so super soft!

Dark Star quilt - in the new MQU issue

I'm also really excited about some the photography I did with this quilt, back in September before I sent it off to Modern Quilts Unlimited. The full shot of the quilt in front of houses was certainly not my finest moment as a photographer, but it was a make-it-work kind of moment, trust me! On the other hand, I love this giant wheel I found in a field to take pictures with - but I'm sad to say that it's been removed from the field since, so I won't be able to use it again. Oh well. These are some of my favorite quilt photos in the history of ever, so at least I got these great pictures!

Dark Star quilt - detail shot - in the new MQU issue

Quilt Stats
name: Dark Star
size: 69" x 81"
pattern: Dark Star by yours truly, in the Winter 2014 issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited
fabrics: Modern Solids solid fabrics by In The Beginning
quilting: all-over stipple in red (#2270) Aurifil 50 wt thread throughout negative space, and white wiggle stitches in white (#2024) Aurifil 50 wt thread

Love of Quilting magazine - February 2014 issue

In flipping through Love of Quilting, I spotted my book in their Book Reviews section, which was a great thrill. I still get tickled when I see a mention of my book somewhere, so if you ever see one, by all means let me know in case I haven't seen it!! There's lots of great patterns in this particular issue, too, and I love the quilt on the cover - so pretty!

Aww, that's my book!

Have a great Wednesday, and if you haven't yet entered the Quilt Improv giveaway, hurry up and do so! The giveaway ends tomorrow :)

6 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, once again, your quilting expertise bows me away !! We love you here at Inspire !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is an amazing photo! too bad they took away the wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is my favorite one is in that issue (which is my favorite quilting mag, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your red star quilt is beautiful. I love the look of just the strip of blocks with all the red negative space. Very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was one of my fave quilts in the mag!! and i hear ya about chicken scratch math - i recently had to order more fabric TWICE from craftsy to complete a quilt, and i'm just glad they had it in both times - because crazily enough, apparently the different dye lots of michael miller mirror ball dots look VERY different!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat