Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A few goals for 2014

After the last several weeks of sewing toward a big deadline that I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel for, I spent some time last night reflecting on what an amazing year 2013 was and thinking about goals and thoughts about 2014 and what kind of year I want it to be. I've always loved making lists, so whenever the new year rolls around, I always enjoy all the list making that seems to come along with the new year, from goals to plans to the to do's for putting away the holiday decorations.

my 2014 filofax

For 2014, I splurged on a new paper planner - a Filofax - for the first time in years. I've been using inexpensive yearly paper planners from Target and the like for the last few years, after years and years of using a Franklin Covey planner, and I realized I missed that hyper level of organization day-to-day. After shopping what Franklin Covey had available, I didn't really love any of the planners, so I hunted for some alternates, and fell in love with Filofax, after considering Arc and other competitors. Yes, the Filofax binders themselves are an investment, but the refills are pretty cheap compared to others, and I fell head over heels for this pretty yellow one (currently out of stock but available in purple, green and orange). I've been using it for a few weeks now, using the week on two pages paper format, and enjoying that so far. For 2014, I'll be using the page per day format, to give me the most space possible for my task lists.

nothing like a paper planner to make me feel organized!

While I'm normally pretty ambitious about my goals for the year, I decided I just wanted to set some personal sewing goals for the year - not necessarily big ambitious ones, just some things I really want to sew this year. I feel like I spent a lot of time sewing for deadlines this year, which is a fantastic and wonderful thing that I'm very thankful for, but I'd really love to find some time for some selfish sewing this year. I'm also hoping to make more time to blog in 2014 and not fall prey all the time to sharing things only on Instagram!

goals for 2014

Happy New Year to you and yours! What are you hoping 2014 brings?

this is the idea way to ring in the new year...
And don't you agree? this pup needs his own dog bed so he can stop hogging my couch pillows!

9 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I think those are very good goals and I agree, that poor pup needs a bed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the filofax. I made my dog a bed. He uses that and now the back of the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not much of a goal setter, put yours seems great. I just a fly by the pants quilter and slow at that. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your list looks remarkably like mine. My husband's quilt is number one on my list, as I only got about 1/4 of the way through the top when I started it in October, and I want to get it done! I realized, after making friends and family pillows for Christmas gifts, that I really should make some for our home. I also decided to make Christmas decos out of the Christmas fabric I bought this year, and from what I have hoarded, before I put away all the Christmas decorations. I refuse to put the Christmas fabric away again this year. : ) Good luck with your to-dos. I love making lists too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I didn't know there are people who are using paper calendars in the age of smartphones etc ;) But Filofax is great, I used to have one.
    And I agree - the pup is to big or that pillow to small and everyone need a place of their own at times. How they decide when that time is, is beyond me LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sewing goals are modest. First on the list is making curtains for my brand new sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth, Thanks for the post , love Filo Fax too but this year I'm on a budget, so discovered the online versions for bloggers, which is kind of cool. Trying to do my 2014 planning today before real life starts next week.
    I really like your blog and quilts. Great work.
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with this dog bed thing.. MINE needs one, she likes to lay on me or Matt anytime we sit , I cant put a scrap on the floor and she is checking it out. lets have a Linky party for it.. for fun.
    I have been reading up on FMQ and working on my Straight Stitch mainly for machine pratice, also whats the sitting arrangement for folks?? , weather hasnt permitted me to FMQ due to RA. Its great to catch up with you.,your cross stitch was cute, I am a seasonal stitcher too..... I have some really cute patterns, especially of Rabbits, I would be glad to share with you, I love love antique sampler magazines and make my own stuff, I am an advance stitcher but can not work on Halloween during xmas. I just wanted to say Happy New year and that I was over in your blog land to catch up. See the FMQ, and Happy New year to your family. I do want to check out your book too. take care !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat