Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day!

It's the third Sunday of June, and that means it's a day to honor our dads for all that they do in our lives. Father's Day is a little bit bittersweet for me, now that my dad is gone, but I try to think about the good times and all of the things I learned from him. And one of the things I learned from him is what a good dad does, and I think it really helped me to find my husband and know that he was the man for me. There's that old saying about how women marry their fathers, and to some extent, I think it's kind of true. My husband has the same even temperament that my father did, even when I'm driving him crazy. He's an optimist, a comedian, but more important than all of that, he's a wonderful father. He always says that I'm teaching our son all that he knows, but he really deserves just as much of the credit, if not more.

Best dad!


In my little family, we like to spoil my husband on Father's Day. The last few Father's Days have been especially challenging, because one of the ways I like to spoil him is with food. When he was found to have a dairy allergy a few years ago, that really put a dent in my baking plans, but I've gotten better at non-dairy baking and I think this year I might have knocked it out of the park...

Cookie dough cheesecake for dad


Oh yes, those are cookie dough cheesecake bars. Non-dairy ones even! And compared to most baked goods, they're fairly healthful. Best of all, they taste good. That's my main complaint with lots of the non-dairy stuff, but these are darned tasty. They need to set a bit longer, as the filling looks a bit soft, but I'm sure they'll be perfect by the time we have them after dinner.

We're also cooking up some french toast this morning, adapting a recipe from Mother's Bistro in Portland. Remember how I loved their French toast when I was in Portland? My munchkin and I are making that this morning, just with various non-dairy milks in lieu of the whipping cream and half-and-half called for in the recipe. If you need a go-to French toast recipe, you need the Mother's Bistro cookbook, called Mother's Best: Comfort Food That Takes You Home Again. And there's way more than just French toast in there! It's a beautiful cookbook, lots of great, mouthwatering photographs and really authentic recipes. Thumbs up!

I hope you've got a great day planned, and that your dad or husband is going to have a wonderful day today. Happy Father's Day everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Elisabeth!
    Thank you for the recipe! I can not digest diary too! A year and a half ago I radically stopped eating dairy and I have been feeling so much better! I even lost 35 pounds because of the no-icecream-no-yoghurt-no-whipped cream--and-no-cheese thing! I am craving cheese though! YES.Every.Day.!!!
    I have noticed that even the lactose free products won't work for me, so I am on a strickt no dairy "diet". Not a diet really, because I eat a lot of other stuff!!! ;-)
    I have been baking with margerine instead of butter and for the most part that works well. I have not been able to find any cream cheese over here that is non-dairy. Is your made with soy? I think I will have to go to Germany for the specialty non-dairy cheese. I have heard that you can buy those in a regular supermarket there.
    Thanks again!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know you enjoyed the day with your son.

    Happy father's day to you.

    Mylene (The Law Offices of Jason S. Newcombe - Seattle DUI Attorneys)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! Thanks for sharing. I personally love chocolatecoveredkatie.com. It's not all chocolate, but it's all nondairy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like he got suitably spoiled :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat