Thursday, February 7, 2013

Q is for Quilt

I'm heading back to school today...to my son's preschool, that is, to talk about quilts. It's Q week at school, and well, are there really any better words in the alphabet that start with Q? I don't think so! My kiddo is so excited to have mommy come to talk to the kids about what quilts are and how I make them, and I'm excited too, because I know that I won't always get that kind of a warm reception from my kiddo.

Q is for Quilt

I'm bringing some fabric for them to pet, some simple patchwork in progress, a finished quilt or two, and some fun coloring pages so they can get in touch with their inner quilter! Later on today, they'll be making their own paper quilt as a class, which is pretty cool. I can't wait to see how it comes together. He's bringing in his baby quilt (my first quilt) for his turn for Show and Tell today, which he's awfully excited about.

SMBQ - Zoology Baby Quilt

In other news, I've been working hard on a few deadline projects that I can't share at the moment, but the good news is that one is nearly finished, and here's a sneak peek of it. Playing with these gorgeous Art Gallery Fabrics has been a lot of fun, as always. If you haven't tried Art Gallery fabrics before, you absolutely must. From the fantastically soft hand and drape to the gorgeous colors you'll find in their collections, you will be a very happy fabric hoarder/quilter once you give them a try! You can find Art Gallery Fabrics at Intrepid Thread, Stash Modern Fabric and soon at Pink Castle Fabrics as well. Have a wonderful Thursday :)

Phew, one deadline project nearly done

14 comments:

  1. I love that you put fabric hoarder/quilter. I firmly believe that crafting = hoarding. I'm proud to be a good hoarder with a cupboard full of fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the comment about the kids getting in touch with their 'inner quilt'! You know, we are hunter/gatherers by nature....I'm sure that means fabric, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun day at preschool! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice of you to share your passion with little ones! I love the coloring page... where did it come from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. im so excited for you! what a fun day with your son! and i totally agree about the art gallery fabric! it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun is that? I hope I get to share my quilts at preschool someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a very fun day! How sweet of you to share your passion with your son :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting for you and kiddo.
    I agree, Art Gallery fabric has a beautiful soft drape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made my son's preschool an I-Spy and matching quilt, and also did a talk about quilts. Now we are making a community quilt - each kid is sewing up their own blocks - and doing a fantastic job!

    I am slowly getting blocks in as the kids finish them, but you can read and look at the projec here: http://www.ranchingmom.blogspot.com/2012/11/community-quilt.html
    and here: http://www.ranchingmom.blogspot.com/2012/12/16th-wip-of-2012.html

    Such a great time to spend with the kiddos! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love!! Seriously, once my sweet little babe gets that age I can only hope she'll be that excited to have her free spirit mama come to school ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great day is planned - can't wait to hear how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I laughed out loud at the fabric hoarder/quilter comment you made!!! Made my day!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so awesome to spend time in your son's class Elizabeth! When my son was in preschool, he took a few quilts into class for Q week. Last year when he was in Kindergarten, I actually spent a day at school with his class and helped them all make their own quilt block. This was at the end of an entire fabric lesson put on by his teacher. I will cherish that day forever. It was amazing to me how many kids had never even seen a sewing machine before!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool with the preschool. And kids are so tactile I bet they will love to touch and play with fabric scraps and glue them on paper. My daughter took her panda quilt for show and tell a couple of years ago. It's the teachers who are most impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat