Wednesday, February 27, 2013

It was a very Lego birthday...

The munchkin's big birthday party was this past Sunday, and I think it went really great. He says he had an awesome time at his birthday party and he can't wait to have another one next year. I sure can! Birthday parties sure can be a lot of work, but admittedly, I had a lot of fun working on this one.

Happy birthday munchkin!

The party theme was Legos, so we had lots of fun Lego decorations from the party store as well as a Lego crown that I made for the kiddo, using some fun Lego fabric I found on Spoonflower. I also picked up the Batman Lego minifigure shirt he's wearing in this photo on Etsy from a super fun shop called I Heart Bricks. They had tons of variety, from Ninjago to Star Wars and so on.

Lego cookies

We had the party at a local park, so the kids made good use of their two large playgrounds. We also had a brief scavenger hunt, where the kids searched for five paper Lego guys throughout the area of the park we were in, which was great until my munchkin ended up in tears because he didn't win. He snapped out of it when one of his friends consoled him by saying, "I don't always win, and it's okay," which was wonderful.

Find a Lego

For snacks, the kids had rectangular Club crackers with circles of Swiss and Cheddar cheese, as well as lots of ready-to-go snacks, like Pirate's Booty and Craisins. They also loved the Lego cookies I made, using some simple royal icing. The adults really enjoyed the Funfetti cake dip that I made and paired with animal crackers and Teddy Grahams. It was ridiculously tasty!

Lego Cake

I made the main cake for the party, a Lego cake, using some basic decorating instructions I found on the Betty Crocker site. The birthday boy was especially excited when he saw that the Lego knobs were actually marshmellows! The cake itself was one of my favorite cake recipes, the Barefoot Contessa's Beatty's Chocolate Cake.

Lego Cake - yum!

After cake time, the kids had some crafting time, with great coloring sheets from the Lego site as well as a scrapbook inspired activity, where the kids could glue their own hats, shirts, pants, and skirts to their own paper Lego minifigure. It was a great way to wind things down after all the fun.

Lego Party - Make a Minifig pices

Once we got the party cleaned up and packed up into the car, we ventured down to the beach area of the park and had a bit of fun running around on the sand and inspecting the plants and wildlife. It was gorgeous, until the mosquitoes started to take over.

IMG_6192

All in all, the party was great, the munchkin was a very happy, excited boy, and while it was great fun, I'm looking forward to getting back behind my sewing machine this week and working on my Juki machine cover! I hope you're having a great week so far :)

9 comments:

  1. Looks like you found a ton of great stuff for his party! Legos are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like he had lots of fun and you might start a second career as party planner!
    (I´m just a tiny little bit jealous that you guys can wear short sleeves sandals- we are having 30inches of snow right now and are getting more)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I would like a birthday party like that!
    ipatchandquilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like an awesome party, super mom! I need to remember all of this for Luke's next birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great party you put together, Elizabeth! Birthday parties are an assload of work - you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad it went well, sounds like everyone had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat