Friday, February 8, 2013

Friday Fun: A little bit of fabric, and a little bit of bagels

Thanks for all your lovely comments yesterday about my trek to preschool to talk about quilts - it was a lot of fun, and the children were just adorable. And they all went ga-ga over my munchkin's superhero quilt, which was really cute. Definitely put a smile on my face!

Speaking of putting a smile on my face, this little fabric bundle I put together for Sew Lux Fabrics puts a smile on my face. I'm calling it Preppy Sophisticate and it's on sale this weekend, through Sunday. I love mixing hot pink and green together, it absolutely reminds me of the preppy 80s, and also Jen Lancaster's super sarcastic memoirs. I also love the little pop of two low-volume gray prints from one of my all-time favorite collections, Half Moon Modern. What would you make with it?

Preppy Sophisticate bundle from Sew Lux Fabrics


Last but not least, I want to share a little recipe with you guys today for super easy bread machine bagels - that my friend Amber just made and has been enjoying immensely with her new bread maker. These bagels are incredibly tasty, make the house smell great, and can be customized to be whatever type of bagel flavor you like best.

photo by Amber/One Shabby Chick

Super Easy Bread Machine Bagels
source: can't remember - I've had it a long time, and I jotted it down on notebook paper, so who knows??
makes 9 bagels

you'll need:
1 cup warm water (between 108-112 degrees)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 T white sugar
3 c bread flour
I envelope of active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp if you're measuring from a tub)
3 q boiling water
3 T white sugar
1 T cornmeal
1 egg white
toppings: Usually I turn mine into everything bagels, sprinkling them with minced onion flakes, garlic salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, etc.

1. Place warm water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order your instruction manual indicates. Select Dough setting.

2. When Dough cycle is complete, take out pan and let dough rest on a lightly floured surface. Meanwhile, in a large pt, bring 3 qts of water to a boil. Stir in 3 T of sugar.

3. Cut dough into 9 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand. Poke a hole in the middle of each using your thumb. Twirl the dough on your finger, or thumb, to make the hole bigger, and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover the shaped bagels with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes.

4. Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet 1T cornmeal. This will prevent the bagels from sticking, so it's important, don't skip it! Start preheating the oven now, to 375. Carefully transfer the bagels, one by one, to the boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning halfway. Drain briefly on a clean towel. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze the tops with egg white and sprinkle any toppings you'd like on top.

5. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375, until well browned. Let cool before eating - trust me, they are super hot!

Have a wonderful Friday and a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Those bagels looks REALLY deeelish!!

    I like the fabrics you purchased:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thrilled to have discovered your bagel recipe today!
    I borrowed/stole my mom's bread machine about a year ago, and have been making dinner rolls and pizza dough - and I was just thinking that I should try bagels, too! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh! Love the fabric bundle and that recipe sounds delish! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bundle is just adorable -- great color choices! Now I'm craving bagels...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it went well. The Super Hero quilt was the star attraction then? How did the activities go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those fabrics, so pretty!
    I'm going to have to try this bagel recipe, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm! do you think it would work in a regular mixer? i don't have a bread maker any more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I would love a garlic and onion bagel right about now!! Beautiful fabric, I would make a table runner I think. I really need one ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat