Wednesday, November 14, 2012

WiP Wednesday: The one with lots of hand sewing

I cannot believe Thanksgiving is next week! I feel like there's tons to do, and not enough time to do everything in, as usual, but I'm plugging away as best as I can. Here's what's going on in my neck of the woods...

finished:
Pillow Talk Swap pillow

Pillow Talk Swap - finished pillow

4x5 blocks

4x5bee

Lucky Penny quilt - Unfortunately, I have to keep this one under wraps for now, but here's a tiny sneak peek...

IMG_1508rt

still going:
EPP starflower pillow - I've officially run out of my background fabric, but I ordered more last week so hopefully it will be here any day now. If you had told me last year at this time that I would be doing lots of hand sewing, I would have laughed in your face. I long joked that I was allergic to hand sewing. I thoroughly detested it. But in the last year, I think my sewing horizons have expanded, and I have come to actually like hand sewing. A little bit. The lack of speed is something that I still get frustrated with from time to time, but in general, I'm really enjoying my little hand projects, especially the English Paper Piecing (EPP) variety.

EPP progress

bee block for Lee - Does ironing count as progress? If so, this one's moving right along ;) I'm hoping to work on it today or tomorrow.

new this week:
EPP honeycomb pouch - I've got at least six pouches to make for the h-olidays, and I'm starting with this one, adorned with some brightly colored EPP honeycomb pieces. These things are tiny! 3/4"! It was quick to baste them, but sewing them down onto my background fabric was tedious to say the least. I like the looks of this one so far.

EPP Honeycomb pouch

Teaching - I'm teaching a free motion quilting class this Friday at Inspire, which I'm very much looking forward to. Free motion quilting is often my favorite part of the entire quilting process. I cannot for the life of me find the quilting samples that I've used in the past, so I made a few new ones to bring to class. Teaching at Inspire has been a lot of fun so far; I really enjoyed teaching my Mariner's Star pillow last week and I'm having fun planning a few new classes for January.

FMQ samples for Friday's class

Sea of Stars quilt-along - The Sea of Stars quilt along will kick off this coming Monday with a post about choosing fabrics for this quilt. If you haven't gotten your pattern yet, you can pick it up in my Pattern Shop or at my Craftsy shop. No need to buy your fabric just yet, unless you know exactly what you want, otherwise Monday's post will help you make your choices. Planning to join in the quilt along fun? Grab a button and add it to your blog!

sea-of-stars-qal


I'm gearing up to work on my handmade holidays list of to do's, as I plan to gift a lot of handmade items this year, so I suspect next week's WiP list will look quite different, with a focus on the Sea of Stars quilt along and finishing holiday gifts, rather than fun EPP projects for me :) I'm linking up with Lee's Work in Progress Wednesday linky, pop on over there to see lots of other bloggers working their way through their To Do list.

20 comments:

  1. you are so busy!! Love all your projects, the cushion is gorgeous and the EPP looks fantastic :) I adore doing EPP, it's such a lovely pace to sew by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The EPP star flower is awesome! Can't wait for your quilt-along...I am really considering signing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started hand sewing this year too and I'm shocked! It is fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pouch - the colors really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Pillow Talk Swap pillow and your EPP pouches. Lovely colors and amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I wish I could attend your free motion quilting class!! I'd love to learn from such a pro :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the EPP starflowers and the pouch lozenges! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting to be teaching a class! Good luck!
    I adore your tiny EPP pouch. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously productive and colourful week there! Love the wee pouches

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow.... It's been a busy week for you. I had to laugh about the EPP. I felt exactly the same when a friend told me that her friend sometimes hand sewed quilts. Unbelievable I thought. And now look at us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, that honeycomb project you have going on is amazing! As is the starflower! I can't wait to see those get completed. :D

    I just started EPP a couple weeks ago, and it's way more entertaining than I expected! Wish I had more time for it, though. You're right, the amount of time it takes really puts a damper in doing EPP projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love every last thing in this post. It is all gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your hand stitching projects! I'm with you, I'm not the biggest fan of hand work, but I'm finding myself pulling it out to work on when I can grab bits of time here and there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you be any more awesome? Honestly, I think I was drooling by the end of this post. Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ironing counts! it is more than just "thinking" about it, which is where a lot of my projects are now. Good luck at you Inspire class!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun a new quilt along. So many projects at hand but yet I have this desire to join in... we will see what I get accomplished this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love those brown backgrounded things. The colors are so great, then I read and reread the size you said they are. You crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat