Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Odds and Ends

It's only a few days before Thanksgiving, and I feel like I'm already running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I feel scatter-brained, to say the least, even though I've got lists coming out my ears. Lists of cleaning to do before our guests arrive on Thursday, lists of Christmas presents that I've bought and where I've hidden them (as I'm known to completely lose gifts altogether once they're hidden), a list of last minute grocery items I know I will need to pick up tomorrow to ensure freshness, a list of my sewing projects so that when I have a moment or two of free time I can at least think about sewing), and so forth.

Lists, lists, and more lists!


My class on free motion quilting last week at Inspire went really, really well. I had a lot of fun with it, and I think my students did too! We talked about four different beginning styles of FMQ and did a lot of practicing. It felt really great to get to meet other quilters and to share my knowledge. I'm definitely looking forward to teaching again soon at Inspire.

Fmqcollage


When I got home from class, I got right to work on my last bee block of the year for Lee, with filled with scrumptious solids. Her quilt is going to be so gorgeous once she gets all of our blocks together, I can't wait to see it put together!

Bee block for Lee

It's been a long couple of days in my neck of the woods. If you don't follow on me Instagram, you probably don't know that last Thursday, I had to cart my family to the ER, as my husband was convinced he had appendicitis. He was in horrible pain, to the point where he could barely move. It was scary, but I tried to put on my game face, so my four-and-a-half year old wouldn't feel as scared as I did inside. Once he got to a room in the ER and the nurses and doctor started taking a look at him, it was evident that they thought he had a kidney stone. After some tests, the diagnosis was confirmed, and he was sent home with some prescriptions to make him more comfortable while he waited at home for the stone to pass. Five days later, still no progress. He's still in pain off and on, but I'm crossing my fingers that before Thursday morning he'll have that moment and feel much better.

Over the weekend, we went to our last soccer game of the season for the kiddo. They won their game and had a great time, and even got trophies afterward. He really enjoyed his first season of soccer, and I loved cheering him on. I have a feeling we'll be doing more soccer next year. He's home from school all week for Thanksgiving break, and so far, I've managed to not break my neck while navigating the living room floor, constantly covered in Legos. Knock on wood!


I volunteered to make something for the upcoming holiday silent auction at the kiddo's school - just some simple zipper pouches. I think I'm aiming to make a set of three, in varying sizes. I've pulled some fabrics that I think might be fun to use together and that would be appealing to the families at school. Next, I need to find some fabrics to use for the linings.

This pile wants to be some pouches when it grows up


And that's what's going on in my neck of the woods. How are you doing? Ready for Thanksgiving? Have a great day, and happy sewing :)

11 comments:

  1. LOVE the block and wish I could have been there for your fmq class, your students were very lucky!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, you are busy. The lists will certainly help ease the stress. Congratulations to your son and his team on their soccer result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a happy but busy time of year, isn't it? I hope your husband feels better soon.

    Lee's block is on my list today too, as well as a trip to Publix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying this time of year! I think I'm ready! I'm hoping I don't find anything missing on the big day! Love your lists and hope your hubby is back to normal soon. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure hope hubby is better soon - I've heard that is SO painful. ick. Very fun fabrics for your pouches! And congrats on the fun fmq class. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! That block is beautiful and I like your quiltings! Oh, you have that adorable text fabric I was just admiring! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with those lists, and to himself with passing that stone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my husband gets kidney stones...the first time, he literally thought he was going to die, the pain was so bad. but more than that, i think it is the extreme pain mixed with not knowing. it was a huge relief when we got to the ER and the doctor knew pretty much immediately what it was. now, he can usually feel them coming on and takes some sleepy/pain meds, takes a nap, and usually it passes when he wakes. i am so sorry your husband hasn't passed his!! i am sure they mentioned this, but sometimes they are bigger and need to be broken down into smaller stones to pass...your doctor may want to have him catch it when it passes (fun times, peeing through a fine mesh strainer) so they can test it and possibly figure out what is causing them. sorry, did mean to type so much! oh, again, i am sure they mentioned this, but he should drink, drink, drink...so he can get that stone moving...

    i hope your thanksgiving is great (and comfortable for your husband!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your husband is better soon and can enjoy Thanksgiving.
    Love the quilting and wish I was closer to you, I'd love to take your class (we couldn't be farther apart, me being in Portland, OR) love the look of the quilting.
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your husband is feeling fine by now! I wish I could take your FMQ class! Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat