Friday, August 24, 2012

Letting loose and getting my improv on

I've been working off-and-on this week on a project from Jacquie Gering and Katie Pederson's seriously awesome book, Quilting Modern. Improvisational piecing is just so much fun to do, and Jacquie and Katie do a wonderful job teaching various improv techniques that you can put to use in lots of different projects, not just those in the book.

IMG_0094

I'm working on the Swirling Medallion quilt found on page 113 of the book, using some green, gold, gray, and aqua prints, This quilt uses the improvisational stitch and flip technique, which can be super duper versatile. You can use it to make wonky stars, wonky zig-zags, just about anything you could make with a half-square triangle unit. I think a wonky zig-zag quilt might just be in my future, using this method of piecing.

Swirling Medallion quilt top - side view

I just finished up the quilt top, but haven't decided on backing or quilting just yet. I am totally in love with this quilt and am half-heartedly trying to find a place in my house I could hang it, I love it so much. Fortunately, I suspect I'm going to be indecisive for a little while about this one, so it can hang out on my design wall for the timebeing, making me smile whenever I look up at it. Next up? While I'm thinking about how to quilt this one, I think I might just attempt to make a dent in my string scraps and work on a string project!

Swirling Medallion quilt top

22 comments:

  1. I love it. I may have to get the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this top ~ I'm going tomorrow to take a class with Katie (in Seattle) doing this very quilt, I was a bit hesitant on what fabrics to use and seeing yours has helped a lot ~ thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how it turned out. I also agree about the Modern Quilting book. I was kind of sick of hearing about all the hype around it until I was in a book shop that had it, which gave me the chance to look through it. It is actually a book that well deserves the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is looking great! I see Elsa is taking a class with Katie tomorrow RE: this quilt - won't that be awesome fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! There have been so many great versions of this quilt popping up. I'm definitely feeling the need to start my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! I love this design and your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such gorgeous colours and what a fun design =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously love how you controlled the wonkiness by surrounding it with more hst's!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how this has turned out, both the improviness and the colours :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super gorgeous - that technique is so fun, so fast and gives wonderful results! i'd want to keep that beauty too, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this. The colors just sing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the color combo. I'm curious how you will quilt this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the mix of the clean HST's and the wonky triangles is really powerful. very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat