Monday, August 27, 2012

A little Saturday shopping

Today we're having Florida's equivalent of a snow day...except way less fun: a hurricane day. School's been cancelled for the day, though thankfully, we're not expecting to see much more than gusty winds and rain in my area, so I'm hunkered down with my munchkin for an uneventful kind of day at the house. Hopefully there will be some sewing in the forecast :) In spite having to stock up my hurricane supplies (also known as my stash of Oreos, Ritz crackers, bread, peanut butter and bottles of water), I had a really great weekend, thanks to a fun field trip with a quilty friend.

On Saturday, I met up with a Tampa MQG friend, Katie, who blogs and podcasts at Katie's Quilting Corner. We had plans to meet up in historic Ybor City to visit the Tampa Upcycle shop. Tampa Upcycle is a materials exchange, for artists, crafters, sewists and the like, and we were both super excited to bring in some old supplies and see what they had. Unfortunately for us, they didn't open as scheduled, but fortunately we came up with an awesome backup plan.

DSCN0004DSCN0006

Our area has a new quilt shop, Inspire! Quilting and Sewing, located in Plant City. Normally, that would be nearly an hour long drive from my house, but Tampa Upcycle just happened to be halfway between my house and the shop, so the drive was nice and short.

I've never really visited Plant City before, but the historic downtown area was really gorgeous. We parked near an adorable antique shop that drew me in when I spotted a gorgeous old Cinderella sewing machine in the window. The shop interior didn't disappoint either, it was filled with interesting old pieces that were fun to look at.

DSCN0014


DSCN0013

The new quilt shop was just beautiful, inside and out. I'm oh-so-glad that we drove out there! Inspire! is owned by Lynn and Lisa, two sisters who share a love of quilting. While they are currently open for business Monday through Saturday, their grand opening will be held next month on September 22nd, complete with some great sales as well as refreshments and music all day.

inspirestorefront

DSCN0017

DSCN0018

DSCN0019

Inspire! Quilting and Sewing has all of the fabrics for the Dear Stella QuiltCon challenge, the entire Madrona Road collection by the uber-talented Violet Craft on the way, as well as boatloads of my favorite thread, Aurifil 50 wt! I tried to restrain myself, and just picked up a fun Dear Stella Squiggles print to use as backing for my Swirling Medallion quilt. The shop was really a great place to visit, and I definitely plan to go back again soon. If you're in the area, I highly recommend them! Not only were there tons of beautiful fabrics and things to see, but the staff was super friendly and helpful. Thanks for exceeding every expectation I could have had, Lynn, Lisa, and Amber!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a fantastic shop-funny how life sends you somewhere you wern't expecting to go and it turns out great! Hope the hurricane warning comes to nothing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I wish we had quilt shops over in the UK that looked that good. I have to venture quite far to get to my nearest one =C

    ReplyDelete
  3. really?! a hurricane is Florida's equivalent of a snow day? sometimes, in Wisconsin, we get a snow day just because the snow was dumped the night before. those were my favorite as a kid. the day could be gorgeous and sunny and we could just play all day. now, as an adult, that just means that i shovel all day long and dread the sound of the plow because then i have to shovel out the driveway again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing about Tampa Upcycle and Inspire Quilting and Sewing. These will definitely be places to check out. I'm so happy to have found a modern quilt shop in Florida! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of either place, but can't wait to check them out! I'm in Land O Lakes, but love to head to Ybor for the Columbia & Ikea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat