Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Double Flip HSTs Tutorial

School has officially started, and that means that I've suddenly got lots more sewing time (yay!). I got right to work yesterday after bringing the kiddo in to school, and just played for once. Playing with fabric is positively the best part about being a quilter, and I haven't done much of it lately.

After making a list of the projects that I've been neglecting over the summer, I started working with some lovely charms from Laura Gunn's new Cosmo collection for Michael Miller, due to hit shops next month. I started playing with a new technique that I gleaned from the uber-fabulous Quilting Modern book by Jacquie Gehring and Katie Pederson - they teach an improv version of this double-flip technique, so I thought it could certainly be adapted to be used in a precision kind of block, and sure enough, it worked!

Double Flip HST Tutorial

Double Flip Half-Square Triangle

This sophisticated cousin of the half-square triangle unit can be used in any half-square triangle block you can think of, and is made quite simply. Starting with a half-square triangle unit, you add a smaller square and sew along the diagonal using a stitch-and-flip technique, much like you use in improvisational piecing.

For one Double Flip HST unit, you'll need:
5" print square
5" solid neutral square
4" print square

1. Begin by using a clear quilting ruler and tracing a line across two corners of the neutral 5" square, marking the diagonal of the square. Use whatever type of marking tool you prefer.

IMG_0070rt

2. Align the raw edges of your neutral square with a print 5" square, right sides together. Stitch a scant 1/4" on both sides of the diagonal line you traced, then cut along the traced line to separate into two units. Press seams open and trim HST unit to 4 1/2".

IMG_0075rt

3. Using a clear quilting ruler, trace a line across two corners of the 4" print square, marking the diagonal again as you did in Step 1.

IMG_0081rt

4. Place this square at the top of your solid neutral half of the HST unit, making sure that the diagonal line you've traced is parallel to the HST seam in the center. Stitch along the diagonal line, and trim the seam allowance to 1/4". Press.

IMG_0083rt

IMG_0085rt

5. Ta da! A finished Double Flip HST unit.

NOTE: This type of unit can be constructed using any size half-square triangles. Just be sure to cut your accent print one inch smaller than your HST. This will create that skinny strip of solid neutral between your two prints.

Auditioning some block layouts using double flip HSTs and gorgeous @lauragunnstudio charms!Layout option number two...I'm torn! Help!

For my Double Flip mini, I made a total of 16 of these blocks, and arranged them in a diamond formation.

Double Flip HST Mini

I really love these gorgeous prints, and I think this was a really great way to show them off. If you follow this tutorial, I'd love to see how it works out for you! Add your projects to my Flickr group, Stitching with Don't Call Me Betsy. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, I sure enjoyed working on it :)

39 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial! I love your DHST block - Laura Gunn fabrics look great in this layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this! Let's of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial for a fabulous block. Thanks Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!! Just pinned it so I remember to try my hand at it in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. genius! I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this block! I saw it on instagram yesterday, and I'm so glad you posted with some dimensions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah, this is awesome!! I love that you called it the "sophisticated cousin of the half-square triangle unit." :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy smokes!!! This is sooooo cool!!! I love it! Thank you for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! That is so fun!! Great idea! Thanks for the tute!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow how neat is this!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What an awesome block :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely block! Thanks for writing up a tutorial for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this block! thanks so much for the tutorial ~ very generous of you

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great effect! Love both of the layouts and that's a gorgeous block :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic block! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah! I love that line. Second time I've seen it today--guess I'll have to get some of it when it comes out.

    This block is really cool! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Cosmo Collection especially with what you have made. Thinking about buying this fabric but will have to check whether I have this book, on its way or have to order. thanks fo the tut.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Wow! I love this! I was sitting looking at the picture of your work and wondering how in the world did she do this? I kept reading and found this excellent tutorial! What are you doing with what you cut off?

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so nice to see hst's with a little bit flair! You did a great job on the tutorial. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pinned this! Now, it's on my "to do" list. Great tutorial. I love how this turned out! Thank you for sharing this.

    Deborah
    homemakerhoney @gmail .com

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's amazing! I'm going to try that one out for sure! And I'll take a look at that book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing this terrific method. I love the look of little skinny pieces of fabric, but hate to work with them. This makes what looks like a difficult task easy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this Elizabeth. Thanks for geat tute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a terrific idea, and I really love the final effects!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Boy oh boy, I can sure tell I'm a newbie as this makes no sense to me at all. :o( I'm reading between the lines here and see that you added a piece of red fabric in step #2. Am I assuming that in step #4 I would cut off the top right hand side and that is my scrap and my bottom left hand side is my block?? I apparently need every single step spelled out for me. LOL Such a learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks so neat! I have put this on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Somebody showed me this today. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat