Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Spring Market: The Fabrics

welcome

I think I'm as recovered as I'm going to be from the fabric hangover I experienced on my trip to Spring Quilt Market in Kansas City, so I figured it was time for a wrap-up post. It was a fantastic trip, with boatloads of gorgeousness to see and super fun people to visit with. Aren't quilty people just the best people?

I saw a zillion things at Market, more than I could possibly remember, but here are my Top 10 fabric-related highlights from Quilt Market...

10. Riley Blake Chevrons - I love that Riley Blake is bringing these chevrons in multiple sizes, I think it is a super smart decision on their part, too. There will be not only small, medium and large chevrons but also tonal varieties in each size. All of the varieties should begin shipping in August, and I know I will be picking up quite a few of these for my stash!

Who doesn't love chevrons??

9. Art Gallery - Art Gallery swept many of the booth awards at Market, and rightly so; their booths were just so stunning. The wall of their main booth was covered in squares of all of their fabrics, all mixed together and backed with foam core. Their Summerlove side booth was also gorgeous and so cozy feeling. I couldn't resist, I just had to pick up a little Summerlove to bring home for a new project! I'm also really excited about their upcoming Rock & Romance collection, coming out in September.

ArtGallery


ArtGallerySummerlove


Rock and Romance - coming soon for Art Gallery Fabrics

8. Odif - Odif is the great company who makes my favorite spray baste, 505 spray.  They also make a cleaner spray, DK5, for those moments when you overspray your 505 (and other various craft sprays)!! You can pick up a can of your own at Sew for Less. The Odif folks also let us in on a little secret: if you can see your 505 when you're spraying, you're using too much. I think I don't mind using too much, as I like seeing the spray so I know it's there, but I thought I would share :)

Odif

7. Chicopee - I adore Denyse Schmidt's fabrics, so it was really exciting to get to see Chicopee in person before it comes out. Denyse's booth had a few precut samples to thumb through and also a wonderful wall of inspiration for the collection, complete photos of Sonny & Cher, Mary Tyler Moore, and many other remnants from her childhood. The collection is full of what Denyse is best known for: beautiful small-scale prints with rich colors. I'm seriously looking forward to this collection when it ships out in August.

Amy and Colleen chatting it up with Denyse

6. Simpatico - Coming in June from Cloud 9 fabrics, Simpatico is full of soft peaches, grays, and blues. I'm super excited for this line. The prints have a real classic feel to them and I think this line will make a great addition to any stash. I also spotted GeoCentric, a new canvas collection coming late summer, full of super fun geometric basics. Awesome line for bag-making!

cloud9

cloud9geo

5. Storybook LaneKelly Lee-Creel is a new designer for Andover Fabrics, with a new line called Storybook Lane, shipping in the next few weeks, and several new patterns for her Ever Kelly brand as well.  Her booth was gorgeous, and I especially enjoyed the star quilt Kelly featured. 

Storybook Lane by Kelly Lee-Creel for Andover

4. Ruby Star Vinyl - Melody Miller's new line Ruby Star Vinyl is so hotly anticipated and rightly so. Her booth was total retro chic, from the Ruby Star Shining sofa to the cool retro record wall installation. No one does retro quite like Melody.

melodymiller

melodymiller2

3. Mama Said Sew - Coming out in August, Sweetwater's Mama Said Sew is full of black, cream, gray, and red prints that celebrate sewing. There's some beautiful text prints as well as an adorable gingham. I think this was one of the first lines to sell out at Sample Spree and I think it's going to be super popular!

Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater for Moda

2. Madrona Road - I positively adored Violet Craft's first collection for Michael Miller, Peacock Lane, but I think I might just love Madrona Road even more. I'm not sure if it's the soft colors or the cursive print, but I'm head over heels for this collection. Is it August yet???

VioletCraft


violetcraft2

1. Bloomsbury Gardens - Some of the biggest buzz at Market was all about Liberty of London releasing new quilting cottons. One of the things I really like best about the new line is that while still gives the Liberty vibe, the colors are very different. Very vibrant, very bold, and perfect for quilting. I recall a while back that Liberty did a quilting cotton collection with Westminster Fabrics, and I think is a very different line from that one, consciously so. We got to meet the designer behind the collection, who said that the color choices and motif choices were very deliberate, that they truly thought about quilting and how to make the collection work best for quilters. I think this collection is a full-on home run, and I cannot wait to get some!

liberty


boltsofliberty

Sample Spree was also quite fun, with boatloads of grown women squealing when the line finally started moving and we were allowed in. The Moda table, by far, was the busiest, with a huge crush of people swarming around it. The Art Gallery table also seemed quite busy, with gorgeous stacks of their solids, Oval Elements, and other print collections as well.

Sample Spree officially underway!

In other Market news, I got my hands on my some fabulous new quilting books that I cannot possibly recommend highly enough: Quilting Modern, Modern Patchwork, Zakka Style and Sunday Morning Quilts.  Not only that, but the authors were some of the nicest people I met during the entire trip. My flight home was made way more bearable by these wonderful books.


All in all, Market was simply amazing. I could probably write a post a day about Market and still have more to tell, but for now, this will do. There were so many fantastic things to see, and while I do think I saw them all, these were the ones that stood out to me. I also had the chance to meet so many wonderful people that have shaped me as a quilter and to meet even more people that I've only known online, who were even nicer in person. This trip to Spring Market is definitely going down in my book as one of the best trips I've had in a very long time. For more Market wrap-ups, you can visit Freshly Pieced and Sew Sweetness.

15 comments:

  1. It looked so fun. I'm excited about all the new fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks for the tour! I can't imagine how awesome all that stuff was to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Wasn't market amazing?!?! I loved every bit of it too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! So many beautiful new lines. I really love Madrona Road and the Cloud 9 fabrics.
    I preordered one of the Mama Said Sew kits from the Sweetwater ladies so I can make a Christmas gift for my mom. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! It looks soooo... fabulous! I love the wall quilt with the houses,I see that one in my future, maybe pillows, hmm, or maybe the star quilt or maybe... so much beautiful fabric and designs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tour! I can't imagine what a good time you must have had! Can't wait to get my hands on some of this fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I can't believe you could pick just 10 highlights - I tried to limit mine but ended up putting more and more in. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful trip, glad you had so much fun :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recap. I think we are on the same fabric wavelength. Well, you know I'm still just a little bitter that you got Mama Said Sew and I didn't.

    Just kidding....

    Sorta...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow all the booths look amazing, it's great to see reviews and all the different pictures that were taken!
    How does a sample spree work? =D

    I'm hosting a new swap over at my blog if anyone is interested please pop over for a look =D

    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/goodie-bag-swap.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was so great to meet you!!!!!!! The Liberty is so amazing!!!!!! BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Elizabeth, no wonder you had a "fabric hangover". I'm dizzy with just those few photos. That new Liberty print is lovely - I haven't really been into their fabrics but that one might make me change my mind. And the Art Gallery stand was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an exciting day!! I may have fainted :). I love those Simpatico fabrics. I can't wait for them to come out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Elizabeth, thank you so much for stopping by at my booth. Unfortunately I missed you somehow, but got aware that you've must been there when seeing your businesscard. Wish we could have met in person!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Elizabeth - this is a great post. I love the pictures you got-so excited for these lines too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat