Friday, May 4, 2012

Getting sketchy

I sat down and did some sketching this week.  I usually sketch at the dining room table, while the munchkin is eating a meal, since he is a fantastically slow eater.  This week, he asked for me to work on his new quilt, so I turned to a new piece of graph paper and started drawing.  Inspired by what Jessica did recently with a handful of Drunkard's Path blocks, I thought about pairing some Drunkard's Path blocks with some rectangles to create long, medieval windows...like the kind you'd see in an old-fashioned castle...

IMG_8402


See, while the munchkin is fully obsessed with all things superhero-related, his second obsession is knights.  He loves the new show "Mike the Knight" on Nick Jr and one of his favorite things to do is to run around the house with his foam shield and sword and pretend to be a knight.

So I started drawing a castle with these windows on my trusty graph paper.  And then, the following conversation ensued...

IMG_8589rt


Munchkin: What are you drawing, Mommy?

Me: A castle.

Munchkin: What for?

Me: Your quilt.

Munchkin: Oh.  But Mommy, superheroes don't live in castles.

DSCN8794

Me: I know.  But maybe one side could have superheroes and one side could have a castle.

Munchkin: (thinks about it for a moment, then smiles) That's a really good idea, Mommy.

Me: Thanks.

Munchkin: Will it be ready for bedtime tonight?

Me: Um....no, baby.  Not for a little while yet.

Munchkin: Tomorrow night then?

So...I think I'm going to do a patchwork castle on the back.  Goodness knows I've got plenty of gray fabrics to work with!

IMG_8596rt


Now if only I could decide what to do with the front!

20 comments:

  1. Such a sweet conversation and those grey fabrics are awesome!!

    I think your superhero Munchkin will have a great idea for the front?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That conversation is so adorable! Great idea to sketch at the table. My kids are 'fantastically' slow too. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely little munchkin ;-). Just start with the back and someday while enjoying your sewing, you will get some awesome inspiration! Promised ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! How about doing superhero logos on the other side - that way you can cover them all!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a spiderman quilt for my nephew for Christmas and I secretly loved working with the fun fabric!

    I used a panel for the centre and then worked out from there... you can check it out here:
    http://www.imjohnsdaughter.blogspot.ca/2012/01/christmas-and-spiderman.html

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! I love how confident he was in your finishing abilities! I don't doubt that you could finish that fast...

    Beautiful design and beautiful greys!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Luke and I could have this exact conversation. He's disappointed every time I make a quilt that isn't for him. I can't wait to see what you come up with! The castle idea is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As for the other side... how about a super hero crest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess super heroes are not patient! :)

    Your greys are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is too cute! If only it could be done for bedtime tonight :-) Sounds like a great plan, drunkards path + rectangles sounds like pure awesomeness

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's going to be fun! but silly mummy not knowing where superheroes live ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Children always see the genius in things... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What about a superhero shield? Like a big shield with all the superhero fabrics- you know to protect the castle? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cool idea for a quilt. Th front has to be something superhero related...just not sure what =D

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! Love your castle and all the greys :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an insightful young man you have there - of course super heroes don't live in castles! What were you thinking? Love your gray stash. I have two grays in mine! Have fun making this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great castle!! Kids are so funny. "Tonight?" Yeah...no.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The filmstrip quilt would work pretty neatly for superheroes: http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2009/09/filmstrip.html Kind of looks like comic frames. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Children say the smartest things if only take the time to listen!

    Good luck figuring out what to do with the superhero side!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat