Wednesday, April 11, 2012

WiP Wednesday: The one with the packing

It's an exciting week over here, between announcing that I'll be teaching at Sewing Summit and preparing for our family's first vacation to Disney World this weekend!!!  I think I am actually more excited about taking the munchkin to Disney World than I ever was going there myself as a kid.  I cannot wait to see the look on his face when he sees the Magic Kingdom, I am so looking forward to it!  I did manage to pull myself away from the excitement of gearing up for vacation to do a bit of sewing I can actually share for a change, but I don't expect to see my machine a whole lot this week.  Here's what I've got going this week...

Finished:
Mod Mosaic block for Brooke

Mod Mosaic block for Brooke


Still going:
Patchwork Wheel scrappy blocks - Up to three blocks now!  Still a bazillion to go if I want to make this big enough to fit on my bed eventually, but there's no rush here at all.  Just having fun with it :)

IMG_8457RT

NY Beauty mini - Still auditioning borders.  I busted out a pack of Thangles I got for my birthday and used them to create a zillion 3/4" HSTs.  Not really a zillion, just 160 of them because when I counted how many each strip made, I was apparently suffering from some serious brain fog...rather than each strip making 5 HSTs (by my count), they made 10.  So I wound up with twice as many as I wanted, but that's okay.  I'll find a way to put them to use.  Anyway, I laid out the HSTs in a flying geese-like formation, and I think I might just be digging it.  We'll see, I'm going to leave this up until after I get back from my vacation next week and see what I think then.

IMG_8450RT

My Precious QAL pillow - A while back, Tamiko posted a gorgeous simple paper piecing pattern on her blog that she used to make a beautiful pillow in the Pillow Talk Swap.  I pinned it, and thought about using it as a bee block, but I just didn't think I had enough super special awesome fabrics to use in the center of the blocks. Lo and behold, Tamiko sent me a gorgeous little scrap bundle from her very own stash (thank you!!!) and when I saw Kelly starting up the My Precious QAL, for all of us fabric hoarders, I knew it was time to make myself a little something with the fabric Tamiko sent as well as my own hoarded stash.  I've made three of these little blocks so far, and anticipate making at least another 6, if not more.  I'm having a lot of fun so far, taking a scrappy approach to the blocks.

IMG_8451RT

What are you working on this week?  Write it up and share it over at Freshly Pieced!

33 comments:

  1. Great projects, Elizabeth! Have a fabulous time at Disney. I've only been once and I can't wait to take my munchkins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric Tamiko sent is awfully cute. I too fell for the block too back when she posted it and just finised a quilt top with it. Much more boring though :(

    Have a great time in Disney. I hope your little one will have the time of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that border on your New York Beauty mini. It looks fantastic.

    have a great holiday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice patchwork wheel blocks. I LOVE the grey background. It really sets off those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great block for the Precious QAL - perfect!
    I'm in love with your NYB blocks, too!
    Have fun at Disney - be sure to catch the fireworks one night - my daughters were exhausted staying up so late but absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Mod mosaic block. Have a great time at Disney land.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - I seriously LOVE everything in this post - I need to add those patchwork blocks to my list! Have a great time at Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, all sorts of exciting stuff going on! Have fun at Disney, and I KNOW you'll have fun teaching at Sewing Summit. I"m going to be there! Yipee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your NY Beauty blocks - especially the top left one - it just looks like it jumps right off the quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome projects - esp. love your NYB! wow. Have a great time at Disney!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I like your pillow blocks...great colors. I'm scared to paper piece...maybe one day, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore taking my kids to Disney! I can't wait when it is the baby's turn. He is the first of my little guys to love Mickey mouse!

    As always. Amazing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks amazing! I think the tiny HSTS are just perfect as a border, and your pillow blocks are so fun! Have a great time in Disney!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of your work is amazing and the colors are so ME, I'm inspired. Say hi to Mickey !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Disney is so fun with the little ones! My daughter was 3 when we went and took her on the Star Tours ride early in the day... turns out all day long she thought we were in a galaxy far, far away and wouldn't be able to get back to the hotel easily!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the border around your NY Pillow

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the shadow effect in the top left NYB block.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so funny about the Thangles, because I've done that EXACT same thing, not once but twice! Somehow they always make double what I'm expecting! Hopefully I'll remember that the next time I use them. LOL.

    At any rate, I love love LOVE your NY Beauty swap, please be sending it to me? : ) The Patchwork Wheel blocks are fab too! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need some thangles, I think. Enjoy Disney! Sounds like a wonderful trip ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Patchwork Wheel scrappy blocks - OMG!~ I think I found a new love! Can't wait to see the progress as this ... grows! It's beautiful!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What lovely projects you have going on!! Your Mod Mosaic block is especially beautiful - I love that concepts of the colour gradation. And the NYB mini - stunning! Enjoy Disneyworld!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blocks are beautiful. I really love your stained glass block...gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice looking projects. Love the mosaic block.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the projects! Can't wait to see the others finished as well =D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!! Everything is adorable. I love them all, but the mosaic holds a special place with me...I find it so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Have a blast at Disney World! Our family so enjoyed our visit there in February!

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE your NY beauty progress! Have a great time at Disney World. We've never been, but I'd love to take Luke soon.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like the mosaic which is odd because I am generally a traditionalist.

    Just found your blog from Freshly Pieced. Funny about your name. I always wished my name were Elizabeth so that I could be called Betsy. When your name is Mary there are no nicknames.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fab projects for the week, I especially love your beauties :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm still catching up on all my blogs. That's so exciting that you'll be teaching at Sewing Summit! congrats!
    As usual, I love all your projects. Those blocks for you my precious QAL are my favorite though. The colors are fantastic, it's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  31. As usual, you amaze me. Love all your projects, especially NYB!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat