Wednesday, April 4, 2012

WiP Wednesday: The one where I try to get back in the saddle

It's amazing how quickly something can stop being a habit after being a habit for so long.  The last couple of weeks, I've fallen off the WiP Wednesday horse, but today, I'm trying to climb back on and get back in the swing of blogging again.  I think the last couple of weeks, I've been grasping at straws of what to blog about, as I work on some behind-the-scenes projects that I can't share for a while, but I've decided that regardless of what I'm working on, I can still write.  When I first started blogging, I found so much enjoyment just in writing, and somewhere along the way, I think I got a little bit off-centered with my writing, focusing so much more on finishing projects than on enjoying the process and writing about the process.  Speaking of progress...here's what I've got going on this week:

New York Beauty swap - I've moved these blocks around a few times, and I just can't seem to decide how I want to finish this one up, so I decided to make a few more blocks to see if that helps me out.  I decided that I wanted to make a mini, and use some tiny quarter blocks in the corners of the mini, so I shrunk the templates by 50%, and attempted to make a corner block that failed miserably.

IMG_8396


IMG_8401

The tiny paper piecing was a cinch, but I was totally defeated by the tiny curves.   Just not enough fabric to work with!  So, I'm heading back to the drawing board, trying to figure out what kind of border to add to this mini to make it pop.  Maybe I'll freehand some other kind of paper pieced border, we'll see.

IMG_8398

Brooke's block for {Sew} Beautiful - Brooke has asked for Mod Mosaic blocks, using a gradated color plan she shared on her blog.  I think this is going to be really stunning.  My color pack is green, so I'll be working from yellow to green to green-blue in my block.

The munchkin's new quilt - The munchkin announced at lunch a few weeks ago that his quilts are too big.  That he wants one he can snuggle up with like his Grammy blanket, a ratty old blue fleece blanket my mother gave him.  He has asked that it be a superhero quilt, with lots of blue (still going strong as his favorite color!), but that's about as far as I've gotten with him.   So far, I've pulled together these fabrics, working from a Batman-inspired color scheme.

IMG_8402

Patchwork Wheel scrap quilt - I know I said I was going to wait on this, but my one Patchwork Wheel block looked kind of lonely, so I decided to make a few friends for it :)  I love how simple this block is to make, and how cool is looks when you start putting blocks together.

IMG_8406

And last but not least, I can share one tiny (and I do mean tiny!) snippet of a project I've finished up that I'm hoping you'll see in a few months.

IMG_8249

Now, you know the drill - write up what you're working on and share it over at Lee's for WiP Wednesday.  Scoot on over there to see lots of other great bloggers and what they're up to this week.

30 comments:

  1. Glad you're back on the wagon! ;-) Love your NYB blocks that are done - good luck with your envisioned project. And I love that your little guy has quilty vision too. When my grown son moved out he said, "I do get to take my quilts, don't I?" duh. Loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing tiny curves sounds like a nightmare to me - and yours are SO tiny! I love your NYB blocks, the colors are FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, your NYBs are wonderful. I recently did a small paper pieced circle like you are trying and used my usual method of piecing circles, I can send you a couple of hints if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get over your Oakshott NY Beauty blocks. Beautiful indeed!

    And you can never go wrong with Captain America in a quilt. :) I love the quilty demands of preschoolers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the superhero fabric. My son has also asked for a new quilt but he wants it twin sized. This fabric is fabulous and giving me a lot of ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I guess you are back on the wagon!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the NYB blocks. I made some tiny ones once and had issues with the tiny curves. I appliqued them instead of sewing them together. Much better. Love the super hero fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo for even tackling a curve that small!! Love the NY mini you have so far, I'm sure you'll come up with something fabulous as always :-) I really must get my hands on some of those oakshot cottons, they looks so pretty!! Love your patchwork wheel blocks, I may have to add that to my list of scrap buster projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about for a border you do a solid border, and then paper piece some of the same points that are in the NY Beauty curves? I think it could look cool either as additional half circles that go around the points of the square corner, or as just a straight border all the way around. In varied neutrals, so that it doesn't all compete with the bright middle blocks, but adds a subtle layer of interest.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! that ny block is teeny!! - a superhero quilt, how cute, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such teeny tiny things... cute!

    I've tried emailing you back a couple times re: the labels, but they just keep getting kicked back to me. Let me know if you have another email addy I can use.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your NYB blocks are beautiful. Do you like sewing with the Oakshott? Also REALLY like the patchwork pinwheel blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving the super hero fabric!! That will be awesome!!

    I think those NY beauty blocks are fabulous!! Sorry the tiny ones didn't work so well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it funny how we feel we have to have something big to blog about... But if we are accomplishing big things, then we don't have time to blog?

    I've thought about shrinking some NY beauty blocks too, I'm a little scared now seeing how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that is one tiny pieced piece. :) Your NYB blocks are beautiful!

    Love the scrap quilt. That grey is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your Batman themed fabrics are just perfect! Nice eye!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your work is always so beautiful! I love the NY Beauty blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the mini NYBs, and they look fab in that Oakshott!

    I'm now sitting here singing the Batman theme, thanks for that...

    So glad your one wheel didn't get lonely ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you thought about applique for the circle? Cut it bigger, applique it on & cut to size maybe? I haven't been brave enough to cut into my Oakshott yet

    ReplyDelete
  19. The graduated colour mosaic blocks will look fabulous!! I look forward to seeing your contribution! But the NY Beauty mini is what has me marvelling at!! That is incredible...lovely colours and wonderful piecing! What is it's current size, please?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fr the border on your mini... Use the tiny PP points and appliqué the central circle on there. You may need to simplify a bit ( like use block 0, instead of the one with the tiny points on the small curve) but it should work a lot easier that way and still give you the same look. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww the tiny piece is so cute!...Love the bigger blocks! You've made some great blocks there! Great fabric selection! =D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the NYB blocks in the shot cottons - and your scrappy wheel blocks look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't believe how tiny that teensy-weensy curved bit of piecing was. You have the patience of Job, I think. I'm completely impressed that you got that much done!

    Fun to see your colorful blocks up on WIP Wednesday--always an inspiration!

    Elizabeth E.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the New York Beauty! I have never paper peiced before and I am thinking of doing NTB or a ticker tape as a wedding gift this fall. Decsions!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE it when the kiddo's insist on us making a quilt for them :) Total justification in spending the $$$ and the time. ANYTHING for our sweet babies :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I couldn't wait to get started either - I've made a top out of this pattern in Strawberry Fields: http://piecesofcotton.blogspot.com/2012/04/we-have-flimsy.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Holy wow! Your tininess is inspiring!

    It's too bad that the tiny curves were a problem. Maybe that's a spot where the slightest amount of hand-sewing instead of machine piecing could make a difference? I've only just started sewing curved quilt blocks and they get wonky even when they're huge so I just steam them into oblivion to get them to play nice and try not to worry about them if they're a little less than perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those tiny NYB's are too cute! How small are they? have you considered doing a more simplified NY beauty for the tiny? I've accomplished one that was about 3.5" (with all four quadrants pieced together). It's do-able but I can't for the life of me remember how I got it together. lol. :) Welcome back to blogging. I'm blogging like crazy but having trouble keeping up with the blog reading. I guess I can't have both at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some lovely projects on the go - not to mention the ones you didn't show us!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat