Monday, April 2, 2012

A New York state of mind

Hard to believe it's April already, isn't it?  Did you see Amy's fab post yesterday?  If not, hop on over there and check it out.  Totally awesome. :)

No April Fools' pranks at my house this weekend, just a nice visit with my mother and a bit of sewing.  Not too long ago, I received a gorgeous bundle of Oakshott shot cotton fabrics.  I had no idea what I was going to use them for at first, but I knew I was looking forward to trying them out.

Oakshott Shot Cottons - SOOOO gorgeous in person
 
I stared at them for a while, and this weekend, I felt compelled to whack into them and start using them.  My friend Amy asked me to join in a small New York Beauty swap between friends, and I just had a feeling that these shot cottons would be gorgeous as part of a New York Beauty mini or pillow.

IMG_8349



As I paper pieced my little heart out with these beauties, I marveled at just how gorgeous they were.  Practically iridescent, these fabrics changed colors every time I moved the fabric, almost shimmering in the light.  Not only that, they're super soft.

IMG_8346


It's been a while since I've done intense paper piecing, but I've had fun so far, working on these little quarter blocks.  I'm not quite sure how many more blocks I'm going to do just yet, but I'm playing around with the layout, trying to decide what I like best.

NY Beauty in progress



The other highlight of my weekend was seeing my dear husband tackling the crazy invasion of pollen and leaves in our front yard.  I've never seen so much pollen in our yard in all the years we've lived here; it feels as if our huge oak tree has an endless supply this year!  I sure hope we've seen the worst of it by now.

IMG_8372


The mailman also made my day this weekend - I got some gorgeous bee blocks in the mail from my friends in the {Sew} Beautiful bee.  For my turn last month, I asked them to make up one of three blocks I designed, strictly using squares of different sizes, to create a quilt I'm calling Squaretastic for now.  I will be sharing tutorials with you guys for the three Squaretastic blocks at some point, as soon as I find some time to make some blocks of my own.

IMG_8360


All in all, definitely a good weekend.  What did you do this weekend?  Did you do some sewing?  Happy Monday!

22 comments:

  1. Your blocks are looking great! Can;t wait to see what you eventually make with them! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - lots going on at your house! ;-) Fun getting your self-designed blocks back in the swap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, NYB with Oakshotts - great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blocks! Seriously pretty fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah! Those Oakshotts look glorious. Perfect match for the NY Beauty!

    And you must have the same kind of tree that we have. Ugh, it's so gross!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually said OOOOOOO out loud when I saw your NYB blocks. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those Oakshotts are GORGEOUS in your NYB blocks!!! Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what I had planned for my Oakshotts but haven't gotten brave enough to cut into them yet. Your work is beautiful. Oh, and hubby really knows how to fill a hefty bag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name Squaretastic. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Add my echo to the ooh's and ahh's on the Oakshott's in the NY Beauties. Gorgeous. Love the Squaretastic too! And thanks for the shout out as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the NY Beauty was a perfect choice for those Oakshotts. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmm Oakshott! It looks fab and the squares are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heh, GMTA, that's what I'm using for my NYBs (well, just as soon as I actually start o.O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Until now, I've been able to resist the Oakshott shot cottons, but your stunning NYB blocks may have pushed me over the edge. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good grief! That sheet dress is hilarious! Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

    I can't believe how gorgeous that stack of FQs is! It would have been hard for me to cut them up but you sure transformed them into beautiful blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those fabrics are gorgeous! The NYB blocks are so pretty...they just sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You had a great weekend all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, those Oakshott NYBs are just stunning and so sophisticated and modern. They also have a retro quality to them.

    BTW, thank you so so much for a great swap (FTLOS2). I received the most amazing mini made from Oakshott greens and blues - it is quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! You have been BUSY!!!! The trees here are making us all SNEEZE!

    I love the NYB block :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The fabrics are beautiful! I am not sure I would be able to cut into them, I might just stare at them and pet them and stuff :) Your blocks are all fantastic! Good luck picking just one to use.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your New York Beauty blocks are so pretty. I've been wanting to try, but paper piecing isn't my cup of tea - yet. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The blocks for New York Beauty look amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat