Thursday, November 18, 2010

Blissfully wonky rows

We're nearing the end of the That Girl...That Quilt Along, which is a bummer because I'm really enjoying it but exciting because I can't wait to curl up in my special birthday quilt.  Especially after laying it out like this.  This is usually the part of quiltmaking where I feel like I tend to speed up because I want so badly to have the finished product.  I'm going to try my best to stick with the quilt along pace here, to try to teach myself to slow down and pay attention rather than make silly mistakes, as I often do when I speed quilt.




Speaking of speed quilting, I am loving chain piecing.  It's one of those tips or techniques that makes you want to smack yourself it makes so much sense.  Seriously, how did I not come across this and try this sooner?  It really does make the piecing process go more smoothly and quickly.




This is the first time that I put quilt rows together in this fashion.  Rather than just sewing block 1 to 2 and those merged blocks to block 3 and so on, you sew them together in pairs, leaving an odd block in the middle, used to join both pairs together and complete the row.  I've often ripped out stitches when it comes to making rows (and then later sewing the rows together) because they don't come together quite straight, but this method worked beautifully.  Have I completely confused you?  Jennifer explains it much better here.  Not a single ripped out stitch.  Yippee!




I can't wait to see how everyone else is coming along, that's half the fun of a quilt along, isn't it?  I love seeing all of the different fabrics that everyone is using.  It's funny how different fabric can make a pattern seem completely new and different.  I also can't wait to see the instructions on finishing up the quilt top tomorrow, we're so close to finishing up!!   By the way, if you're itching to join another quilt along that's just starting up, go visit Cara's blog.  Happy quilting along everyone!

6 comments:

  1. This is going to be gorgeous! I can't get enough of all the quilts I see made out of Bliss. Can't wait for the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is going to be stunning....these fabrics together look so great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your rows look so good! Crafting is off limits to me right now so I'm not even at the wonking stage yet. I like your idea of a birthday gift...think mine will be too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE it! The colors/fabrics are gorgeous and your wonkiness looks GREAT! I'm wonking mine today, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't chain piecing the best?? I swear that it changed my quilting life when I learned about it!

    Your quilt is looking beautiful... it is going to be an awesome birthday gift for yourself!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elizabeth..great whimsical blocks..aqua is certainly your cover..pssst..Stash Manicure is not on your list of blogs mmmmmm lol...You may want to add that one...for the psst near future wink

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat