Sunday, November 14, 2010

Another one bites the dust!

Firstly, thanks to all of you who commented on my FMQ dilemma.  I feel good about going with a combo of outline quilting and a meandering stipple, and I'm excited to get started on it.  But first, must finish up a few projects.  Phew, another holiday gift done!




I love bags, I love making them.  And I adore the free patterns that Artsy Crafty Babe offers up, the Pleated Tote and the Phoebe bag (which I'm also in the process of making for another gift!).  This Pleated Tote was fun to put together and my first attempt at darts.  I had to dig out my sewing bible, S.E.W., to make sure I was doing them correctly, but that's precisely what my reference shelf is for, right?

Speaking of which, did you notice that I have a new page on my blog?  On the right hand side, you'll find My Bookshelf, which is a direct link to Amazon, with everything that actually sits on my shelf (and one pre-order that will hopefully soon be on my shelf as long as Santa pulls through!).  There's some books for inspiration, some for how-to's, you'll find a little bit of everything there.

Anyway, onto my project finish!

And here's what happens when you try to take project finish photos at night.  He's so happy to help in my sewing room!

This bag was inspired by a black and white photograph of my mother's mother, my maternal grandmother.  She used to grow poppies, and the only remaining photograph we have of her in the family is of her in her poppy garden.  When I saw Laura Gunn's Poppy collection a while back, I knew I would wind up using some of it to make my mother something for Christmas, and I felt inspired to do a handbag.

This bag had some challenging elements for me - eek, darts and pleats, oh my!  But I'm so pleased with how it turned out and glad I kept going despite my moments of uncertainty.  I will definitely be making this pattern again, for myself, once I finish all of my holiday sewing.  Or when I need a break from all of the holiday sewing!

Someone is itching to use the sewing machine for the first time.   Um...no, you're not old enough yet!

I'm also going to be making a coordinating checkbook wallet to go with this bag, as that's the one thing my mother has actually asked me to make!  I'll be using a pattern by KeykaLou, thanks to the tip from Jennifer last week about her wonderful patterns.




In other news, I decided to make a plush stegosaurus for my 9-month old nephew for Christmas.  I was cutting out pattern pieces at the dining room table during lunch yesterday and my toddler actually figured out what I was making based on the pattern pieces (body, spikes, feet, and tummy).  He promptly demanded that I make him one as well.  At least he said please for once.  Add it to the list!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'd much rather make a bag than a stego!=)

    Great job with Artsy Crafty's pattern...I'm thinking I have a couple of hers myself. I don't know which I've made.

    Love your sewing studio...looks so cozy! I see your tomato there with all its pins too.

    Oh, I need to sew...maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, I will have to check out those patterns! I love the bag you made, I have this fabric and love it, but have been trying to decide on the perfect project for it! I love the blues and reds.

    And I love the dinosaur project! The fabric is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love Keyka Lou patterns, definitely my favorite! Her instructions & photos are great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat