Monday, November 16, 2015

39 Blocks Before Baby: Week Fifteen

Getting ever closer to my goal, this week's two new blocks bring me to a total of 33! I've officially made more blocks than the number of weeks pregnant I am, so the end is in sight! Yay!


Kapow Star
This star first made its debut in the summer 2014 issue of Modern Quilts Unlimited, in beautiful Modern Solids. It's one of my favorite minis in the history of ever, and lives in my sewing room where I love to look up at it. I resized it for the Epic Sampler Block of the Month Club (it was initially a 24" star, and for the club it's an 18" star), and got right to it with my pile of scraps and remaining fabric for my quilt. While this star looks crazy intense, it's broken down into templates that really make it a lot easier than it seams. And without a single Y seam to boot, in spite of some of the tricky shapes you create! Definitely a great block, and a personal favorite of mine.


Cat Corners
Funny story. When you're paper piecing, you often can do some interesting and different things with your pattern pieces to yield completely different blocks than perhaps the pattern you're following. Even when it's your own pattern. So this block is actually the same pieces at the Cat Corners block in the Epic Sampler Block of the Month Club, but I sewed the quarter-units together in the reverse, so I wound up with a completely different block. I didn't realize it until after I'd pressed the whole thing and removed all the papers, so I decided that was a sign to just stick with it as is, so that's the plan for now. Just goes to show you, "mistakes" really can be just "design choices" ;) You can check out the "original" plan for this block on the Epic Sampler BOM page, about halfway down. It's on the left side of the quilt.

Don't forget, if you love these blocks, you can get the patterns by subscribing to the Epic Sampler BOM Club, where you receive 3 new block patterns per month. All of the blocks from my 39 Blocks for Baby project are included in your subscription. You can find out more about the club right here. Have a great week everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Was the star paper pieced? Just exquiste and the color choices beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time you post a new block I get so excited! I am doing your Epic Bom and I can't wait for the new month to start so I get more blocks to do!! I am also in your Craftsy class so I have learned a lot and love your style! Is there a fabric line you are using for the Epic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! It's a fill-on scrappy mishmash, with nearly a different fabric line for each different color of fabric I'm using :)

      Delete
  3. Kapow is the most exciting block. Beautiful. Not that I would attempt it but I do love it. Thanks for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love following this! It gets me so inspired to quilt myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kapow doesn't even begin to describe this star's impact! And the colors are amazing. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat