Monday, August 10, 2015

39 Blocks Before Baby: Week Two

This week's two new blocks are the Churn Dash and the Courthouse Steps. Pretty traditional, but I love them all the same. There's such a rich history in traditional blocks that I thoroughly appreciate, and sewing them up in modern, fun fabrics is more than enough to make them look fresh and new for me. I did alter last week's Economy block as well, which I was feeling was just a bit too dark on the outer corners, so I took those off and added my most favorite-ist Chicopee print in fuchsia, and I think it really works :)


Churn Dash
Why is it that this beautiful shade of nautical blue is so tough to find in modern fabric collections? It's one of my favorites, and I was so glad to see Alison Glass use it in her recent Sun Prints collection. Another really simple block, but with these beautiful fabrics, I can't help but love it just as much as the more intricate blocks. Sometimes, I think really complicated blocks need some simple ones nearby to give the eye a place to rest that doesn't require as much effort.


Courthouse Steps
I love that my husband's reaction to this one was "It's like a log cabin, only way better!" Too cute. Indeed, I love a good Courthouse Steps block, and I was shocked to realize I'd never made one before! This little 6" version was probably enough to cure me of wanting to make a full quilt of them, though, as they are a bit fiddly at this size. Regular patchwork piecing all the way on this one, though you certainly could paper piece this type of block if you'd rather!


Six down, thirty-three to go! I'm still mulling over the concept of doing a block of the month club with this project, especially with the rate at which they're coming together, so I hope to have news about that soon! Have a great week :)

11 comments:

  1. I love your courthouse's center fabric, which is neither gray nor green, yet pulls in both colors to reach out to the sides! Beautiful block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the palette you're using for these blocks! I agree with you on that wonderful nautical blue- I wish there was more of it in modern fabrics as it's one of my favorite colors. It was the perfect choice for your churn dash block, which is probably my favorite traditional block. Can't wait to see more of these lovely blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look fantastic! That is really going to be a stunning quilt with those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blocks....6" blocks are my favorite size. I might have to join you in making these, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind a bit! I'll be offering an official block of the month club with all of the block patterns very soon, I'm just working out the details, so stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. I love that shade of nautical blue too. It looks great with that grey and white Botanics. Your courthouse block is great too. It's so nice to see blues and greens in a quilt for a baby girl, my favourite colours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, this quilt is just for me - kind of a memento of this pregnancy, if you will. I've got a smallish baby quilt in progress for the baby, too, I'll be blogging about that next week probably :)

      Delete
  6. Blocks looking great! Like the change to Economy block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too - I think that darker fuchsia was just too dark :)

      Delete
  7. Loving your blocks. Having fun trying to duplicate them in EQ7!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Margaret, I will indeed be offering the blocks as a block of the month club, I'm just working out the details so the blocks will be available soon!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat