Monday, August 3, 2015

39 Blocks Before Baby: Week One

So, I mentioned last week about my hare-brained idea to make this epic sampler quilt before the baby is born, and I've gotten right to work on it. Combined with my Twirl block from last week (download the free tutorial right here!), I'm up to a total of four blocks thus far. Here they are in all their glory!


Each of these blocks will be 6" finished in the quilt. There are three different block sizes that I'll be making throughout these next many weeks - 6" finished, 12" finished, and 18" finished. There's seventeen 6" blocks, twenty 12" blocks, and two 18"blocks to make.

This week's three new additions are The Claw, the Friendship Octagon, and the Economy block.

The Claw


The Claw is a fairly traditional block known often as a Capital T block. I paper-pieced mine, although it's absolutely doable without that. When I get down to 6" blocks with this much patchwork going on, I often opt for paper-piecing to insure as much precision as possible. I love the shades of teal going on in this block, and it really solidified my choice of the fab Botanics Leaves print for my primary background print. There will be two other background prints that I'll use in some of the blocks, but the bulk of the blocks will use this print for the background.

The Friendship Octagon


The Friendship Octagon block brings in a new shade of teal as well as a new background print. This is such a simple block to put together, just a handful of half-square triangles and a center square, and it's done. It was so simple that I decided to throw in one more block for the week because I had extra time :)

The Economy Block


The Economy block is one I've made many times over, for lots of bees, and I've even made a pillow top for my home using the block. I used a deep, dark shade of fuchsia for the outside accent frame, and I just love the addition of this beautiful, rich fuchsia to the blocks so far! I have to say, this photo doesn't exactly do it justice, in spite of my photo editing attempts - today marks the 22nd day in a row of rain where I live, and the lack of sunshine has made photo-taking really difficult! This block is also easily achievable through traditional piecing, but I much prefer paper piecing when dealing with all those bias edges, so I paper pieced this bad boy.

Four down, thirty-five to go! I'm still mulling over the idea of turning this project into a super fun club, so if you're interested, make sure to tell me about it! Have a great Monday everyone :)

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love your choice of colors! Paper piecing makes such nice sharp points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look fabulous. I love the colors and fabrics you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting a sampler of 6" blocks for a long time. So I'm definitely interested in the club! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, that's great to hear! This would be a mix of 6", 12", and 18" blocks - with the majority being 6" or 12", with just two 18" blocks :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Elizabeth, these blocks are so unique. I especially like the Friendship Octagon. I'm wondering what a super fun club is? I'm still learning all sorts of things about this new obsession of mine! Take care, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, super fun clubs can be great fun in quilting - in this case, I'm talking about offering a subscription based block (or blocks, likely) of the month club, in which others can create this beautiful sampler quilt as well! I did it in 2013 and 2014 with a paper piecing series called the Lucky Stars Block of the Month Club, which is still available in my pattern shop, if you want to check it out!

      Delete
  5. 39 blocks, that's ambitious! I'm 24 weeks into my first pregnancy, and I've done little to no sewing at all, so I really admire your energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sewing is a really great distraction for me during this pregnancy - I've felt pretty awful most of the time so far, so giving my brain something else to think about has been really, really helpful! Congrats to you, hope you're feeling well and doing well!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat