Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Drop Dead Gorgeous - a new paper piecing pattern!

Sometimes the stars align for a quilt block to turn out really awesome. This was one of those times...
DDG Epic Mini for Kristi - detail 1
After The Stash Bash, I joked with Kristi of Schnitzel & Boo that I would love for her to make me a Cargo Duffle. Some fun banter ensued, and we decided to do a fun little swap amongst ourselves. Except with both of us being pretty creative people, we both decided to make up a draw up fresh, original patterns for each other.
DDG Epic Mini for Kristi - detail 2
Sometimes, I take my computer to my son's gymnastics classes. Inevitably, I find myself fooling around in Electric Quilt, coming up with "someday" patterns and such, but two weeks ago I came up with something I couldn't shake. It was one of those things that I couldn't stop thinking about and had to make. Right away. So for the last week, I've been working on a this new block, which I'm calling Drop Dead Gorgeous.

After designing the block, I decided it would make a great mini for Kristi's sewing area, so I asked her about her favorite colors. She described her favorite colors as "girly but edgy," and I knew exactly what fabrics to go for in my stash...
Drop Dead Gorgeous Epic Mini for Kristi
And I got right to pressing and cutting. And measuring. And sewing. And ripping a lot of paper :) I quilted it using some assorted matching Aurifil 50 wt threads in white, gray, fuchsia, and lime green, and I love the texture that shows through on the backing.
DDC Epic Mini for Kristi - fmq detail
Every little bit of the work was worth it because I just adore how her mini turned out, and I think she's pretty happy with it too, now that it's arrived at her house safely.
DDG The Epic Mini backing
The pattern is now available via my Pattern Shop as well as Craftsy. Even if you've never paper pieced before, you can tackle this pattern. Yes, there are a lot of pieces of fabric involved (124 pieces, to be exact), but it's broken up into bite-size, manageable chunks that you can do. And if you're an experienced paper piecer, you can totally rock this pattern. The eleven page pattern is for a 16" block, and includes all of the cutting instructions, piecing instructions, colorful photographs and diagrams to assist you in your piecing, as well as line drawings of the block where you can experiment with your color placement to find the right mix of colors that makes you excited to work on this block.
Drop Dead Gorgeous Block - now available!
Kara and Lisa sewed through this pattern for me to test it out over the long holiday weekend and they both made fabulous blocks!
Lisa's Drop Dead Gorgeous Block
Lisa's bright and beautiful block

Kara's Drop Dead Gorgeous block - turned pillow
Kara's fun Drop Dead Gorgeous pillow

If you make something using this pattern, please do share it with me! You can share it with me on Flickr in my Flickr group or on Instagram by tagging me (@dontcallmebetsy) or using the hashtag #dontcallmebetsy
Drop Dead Gorgeous layout ideas
Happy Wednesday everyone!

17 comments:

  1. So so pretty. I love this. Well done, and thank you for making the pattern available to us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is amazing! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous! I love the sections where you've fussy placed the stripes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful block, fabulous fabrics you used to make the mini! As soon as I've recovered from carpal tunnel surgeries, i will be making this! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are some gymnastics classes for that kind of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hereby crown you the Goddess of Paper-pieced Patterns. Simply gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, it is as advertised....drop dead gorge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Perfect name because it really is drop dead gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. fabulous!! paper piecing is on my summer "to do" list....I wonder if this is a place for me to begin??? I have fiddled with it a bit, but not much and it has been a while--but this is inspiring!! Thanks for sharing....this is just great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really love this new block Elizabeth! And the name is perfectly suited. I think I will have to have something "Drop Dead Gorgeous" in my life soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat