Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Santa's Sweatshop: The Zip Pouches

I love zip pouches, just love them, can't get enough of them, and I'm hoping some of my friends feel the same way this year. I had a dream a few weeks ago about some doing a foundation paper pieced star block-of-the-month club on my blog next year, and the next morning, I sketched out five stars to get started with. I drafted them in Illustrator, and liked them so much that I wanted to make them right away...so I decided to make some them into 6" blocks and put them on the front of some zip pouches for holiday gifts.

IMG_2009rt

Pouch #1
Fabrics from: Carolyn Friedlander's Architextures, various gold and aqua prints, RK Quilter's Linen in Straw

IMG_2025rt

Pouch #2
Fabrics from: Cosmo Cricket's Tailor Made, Alexander Henry's Heath, Ellen Luckett Baker's Quilt Blocks, Free Spirit Designer Houndstooth, Jenean Morrison Silent Cinema, RK Quilter's Linen in Gray

IMG_2034rt

Pouch #3
Fabrics: Alison Glass's Lucky Penny, various fuschia, purple, green, and blue prints, mystery black print from stash, Essex Linen in Lime

IMG_2041rt

Pouch #4
Fabrics: Carolyn Friedlander's Architextures, Alison Glass's Lucky Penny, various aqua, teal, and gold prints, Essex Yarn Dyed in Black

IMG_2019rt

Pouch #5
Fabrics: Carolyn Friedlander's Architextures, Joel Dewberry's Heirloom, various aqua and orange prints, RK Quilter's Linen in Azure

IMG_2030rt

For the actual pouches themselves, I used Elizabeth Hartman's super detailed Perfect Zip Pouches pattern, and I highly recommend it - especially if you've had zipper troubles in the past or if you're frightened of trying zippers out. Elizabeth truly makes it easy, and I was able to learn another way to install zippers than the way I typically do for a zip pouch, so the pattern was well worth the purchase. I made pouch style C, in the large size for all of these pouches.

perfectzip

I hope the recipients enjoy these pouches as much as I enjoyed making them. It still surprises me how much I enjoy paper piecing these days, when it used to infuriate me so much when I first started it! Speaking of paper piecing, you be interested in a paper pieced BOM? Or am I just crazy (as usual)? I hope your holiday sewing is going well, and that you're having a great day!

IMG_2049

25 comments:

  1. My, you are certainly keeping busy! I haven't fallen for the zipper pouch yet but can see one (or more) in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pouches and your fabric choices! What lucky friends! Did you make the large or small size pouch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done paper piecing. Would your BoM be beginner friendly? Would you provide basic instructions on how to do it? If so, I would be interested. It's something I've wanted to try but just haven't taken the time to learn how to do it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please please please do one! About a month ago, I decided to do a paper pieced star block each month for 2013. In fact, I was planning to rope my friends into it. If you did a BOM, well, that would make it a lot easier for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love it if it were beginner friendly. I haven't paper pieced yet but it's one of my goals for 2013. :)

    Your zip pouches are incredible!


    Elizabeth
    Lwghosts at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These star blocks are beautiful! I'm in for BOM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love a BOM! And i would love to receive a pouch ;) PS I'm working on a paper-pieced pillow and it's going well. It's a simple pattern but still...I attribute my ability to do it to you :) Merry Christmastime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pouches, good. BOM, good. All this makes me so happy! Lovely work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous stars! I would be interested...but need a quick refresher on paper piecing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pouches and fabric choices, Elizabeth! The recipients will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to be a part of a PP BOM!
    And those pouches ROCK

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would absolutely be interested in a paper pieced BOM. I even have a blog posted titled Why Paper Piecing is Amazing (or something very close to that).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously, I'm your friend right? :) These pouches are spectacular! I need to work on learning how to use a program to draw my PP patterns. And yes A PP BOM sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pouches are soooo pretty!
    Love your pp star pattern!
    I'd love a pp BoM!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yippee! YES YES YES...I'd love to do a BOM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that feeling of being so inspired that you have to start right away. Good for you for listening to your muse. Your pouches are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, Elizabeth! I'm sure your friends will love their pouches! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my ~ you've been busy ~ I love these zip bags! I have to say that zip bags are my most favorite thing to make ~ thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your pouches. You did a wonderful job on them an the blocks are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The bags with your blocks are wonderful! I have been having fun making little pouches this year, but haven't tried a block on them yet. Thanks for the inspiration!! A BOM for the new year is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If we would be doing foundation piecing blocks like the totally cool ones you just made, count me in on the BOM.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love each and every one of them! I have one more customer quilt to quilt, then I'm going to be chained to my sewing machine! The zippered pouch sweatshop will be in full swing at my house, too! I think a paper pieced BOM would be a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great stars you made there! Make me smile for a long time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat