Sunday, December 30, 2012

A superhero quilt for a super boy

I love giving handmade gifts. Sometimes, I drive myself crazy trying to make too many of them, and this year was no exception. I had several handmade gifts planned and in the works, when lo and behold, when we went to visit Santa, my four year old munchkin asked Santa to help Mommy make him a new superhero quilt. I couldn't resist - I'd had the fabric for his quilt, not to mention the design and the math, for months, but had constantly pushed it aside to meet deadline after deadline. So, I decided then and there, I was going to give him a quilt for Christmas, somehow, some way.

The munchkin had a lot to say to this guy this weekend... #latergram

The fabrics in this quilt are an eclectic mix in traditional superhero shades of royal blue, red, gold, and gray. The center of each block is a fussy cut superhero of some kind, and the surrounding fabrics are various prints from my stash that worked nicely. These blocks are super jumbo sized, finishing at 18", thanks to the super jumbo sized faces most of the superheroes.

IMG_2237

The quilt is backed in flannel, and bound in Michael Miller's Cotton Couture, which makes it deliciously soft to snuggle with, and perfect for the chilly nights we've been having as of late.

IMG_2230

I may write a simple pattern for this quilt at some point in the new year- it's a great way to show off large scale prints, without cutting them down tremendously.

IMG_2246

So far, the munchkin is absolutely loving the quilt, and even in spite of all the amazing Lego kits Santa brought, he took several moments to admire and try out his new quilt Christmas morning, which put a huge smile on my face.

IMG_2236

While there is still a day and a half left in 2012, I feel pretty sure that this was my last quilt finish of 2012! Stay tuned tomorrow for a year-end wrap-up that may or may not feature a giveaway for all of you wonderful followers of my blog as a humongous thank you for making my day with all of your comments!

Quilt Stats
name: The Superhero Quilt
size: 72" square
pattern: Fussy Snow Cabins, by me
fabrics: various superhero prints, Lizzy House Castle Peeps, Joel Dewberry's Modern Meadow navy herringbone, MoMo It's a Hoot gray dots, Allison Glass's Lucky Penny Bike Path in Red, Timeless Treasures Sketch in Yellow, Sweetwater Reunion gray dots
quilting: overall stipple in white 50 wt Aurifil thread
binding: Michael Miller Cotton Couture in Malibu

20 comments:

  1. Well done Santa! He looks very chuffed with his quilt. He also looks very sweet. I have two little boys myself, aged 6 and 3, as well as a daughter aged 9. I made my son a pillow case today using cricket (Australian sports favourite) fabric. His eyes lit up and he sneaked up close for a cuddle and a whispered "aww, I love it Mum, thank you".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to the pattern I have a grandson who just loves Fireman Sam and would adore a Hero Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super hero? SUPER MOM! That's what I'm talking about! Great work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama delivered! I can't believe how fast you cranked this out!! It turned out so cool and like you said, perfect for featuring large scale fabric. I'm with Darcy, Super Mom! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one seriously cool quilt - any little boy would love that. Come to think of it I know a few grown up men who wold love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks amazing!! I love making themed quilts like that ... Really cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How could you not make Santa the hero??? It looks like he really enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it that your son asked for a new quilt... so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your a wonderful Mom! I am sure your son will treasure the quilt and will always remember getting his super hero quilt for Christmas. Its lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your son is so sweet to ask Santa for a new quilt and you are a great mama to make him such a lovely one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, it looks fab, and he looks so happy with it! Note to self, take him to see Santa in June next year ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kids are so great when they really appreciate a gift. And when it's been made with your own hands, that attention is extra-special!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lucky boy! I love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your quilt and would love to see you do up the pattern :) I remember when my sons were little and loved me to make things for them...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable story and a childhood memory that will be cherished forever! Love the bright colors and it looks like you made your son happy at Christmas 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a super mom you are!
    Great Quilt!
    I made something similar 20years ago when
    my son wanted a Power Ranger quilt.
    No PR fabric then so I made it out of a sheets.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a Super Fun quilt - it looks great on his bed. I wish I had been quilting when my kids were growing up. Oh, well. It's fun to live vicariously through my blogging friends - thanks! And Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your son is just adorable!! They are so wonderful at that age. The same age as my grandson :) He is lucky to have you as a mom and I am sure this will be a present he will never forget! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat