Friday, December 30, 2011

2011: A year in stitches

At the end of every year, I'm always amazed by how quickly the year passed.  This year is no exception...but this time, I have lots of pretty pictures to remind me of all the wonderful things that happened throughout the year.  There's so much I'm proud of having done this year, I think I've grown immensely as a quilter, and I can't wait to see what the next year brings.

the year in quilts
I can hardly believe this, but I made twenty-five full quilts this year!  Holy cow!  I couldn't possibly pick a favorite, I love them all so much in different ways.  There's two quilts in this mosaic here that I can't show you more of just yet, but trust me, you'll be seeing them soon.  There's also a boatload of mini quilts I made in addition to this collection of 25 this year.

There were so many things that happened this year in my sewing life, but here's a few that I will never forget:
* Going to the Sewing Summit and meeting so many new friends
* Being published in two print magazines
International Quilt Festival: Quilt Scene 2011
Quiltmaker Jan/Feb 2012 issue
* Participating in fantastic quilt bees and swaps, too numerous to name
* Co-hosting a fabulous swap with Megan, For the Love of Solids
Round 2 sign-ups start January 1st!
* Hosting two fun quilt-alongs
Sliced Coins quilt-along
Kaleidoscope quilt-along
* Sharing my first Moda Bake Shop quilt recipe - and finishing a second that will be up on January 1st
Bella Crossing quilt recipe
* Opening my pattern shop and releasing my first patterns
My pattern shop
Fabricland quilt pattern
Xs and Os quilt pattern


the year in other sewing projects

I made a lot of lofty goals last year, most of which I met, and some of which I changed my mind about as my tastes changed.  This year, I'm aiming to make fewer, more simplified goals, with room to adapt my goals as my taste and my schedule.

1. Say no thank you more often!  I participated in countless swaps this year, coupled with guest posts, bees and other side projects that often left me feeling stressed me out and rushed.  This year, I'm vowing to be a bit more selective with what I say yes to and to plan my time accordingly.  Thanks, Lee, for reminding me about this one!

2. Write more patterns!  I've got boatloads of sketches and plans in the works for 2012 and I'm really excited to get started.

3. Try more new things!  I've tried hard to branch out from basic stippling in my quilting, and I've really enjoyed the results so far, so I want to stretch myself more often.

4. Finish my outstanding projects!  I feel like I started a lot of things that I didn't follow through on and finish.  I haven't finished my Single Girl quilt, Birdie Stitches quilt, and probably a few other projects that I've forgotten about, but I'm aiming to finish them off and be done with them this year.

5. Host a Christmas in July blog party!  Back in June, I came up with an idea to host a Christmas blog party for July, to encourage all of us to get our Christmas sewing early in an attempt to ward off the holiday crazies that come with homemade gifts and decorations, but I didn't get around to it in time.  This year, I totally want to put it together in time, because I don't have a single sewn Christmas decoration at my house, and this is going to be the year that changes!


the year in bee blocks

I first read this T.S. Eliot quote about the new year back in college, but it's a memorable one and I've always loved the sentiment...

For last year's words belong to last year's language and next year's words await another voice.  And to make an end is to make a beginning.

So, here's to new beginnings in 2012!  Thank you all so much for your comments and support over this last year, I appreciate every single one of them.  Happy New Year to you and your families!

30 comments:

  1. Liz, mosaics with your works look wonderful! This was definitely great year for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all beautiful projects, and I have enjoyed watching you make them all year long. I wish you all the best for the coming year and look forward to seeing what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 25 quilts!!! And all gorgeous! E, you are amazing, you are such an inspiration to so many! Great job! I'm sure 2012 will be an amazing year for you too.

    And yes, yes, yes to your Christmas in July plan!! : ) Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely mosaic!
    On a side note, you come up as a no-reply blogger. Didn't know if you knew or not. :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous accomplishments, Elizabeth! You are truly inspiring! There is so much variety in your work for 2011. I am looking forward to Christmas in July with you -- and hopefully I will have my blog moving along by then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Christmas in July idea! I'll look forward to that. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have grown so much over the year and accomplished so many quilty goals! Hats off! You are invited to link up your post in our Craft Buds year-end link party at http://www.craftbuds.com/craft-buds-2011-year-in-review-link-party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, I love all your projects, you had such a wonderfully productive year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Kamoly that's a lot of quilts :) I can't wait to see more of your Heirloom quilt. It's like it's just sitting there teasing me. I'm making my goal list for 2012 too and I thought setting the goal of making 12 quilts in 2012 was a lofty one but that's nothing to you :) Can't wait for Christmas in July. I need to make up some new decorations for my house as well. Congrats on all the beautiful things you have made this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really have had a beautiful year of stitches! I love your 2012 goals! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Twenty-five quilts...girl, you continue to amaze and inspire me. I love your goals, and have no doubt you'll meet them and many more. Best wishes for a wonderful New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, basically that sums it up!!! x
    Happy 2012 x

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my you did so much this past year, To see it all in pictures is amazing. I can't wait to see waht 2012 brings you to share with us. Have a safe adn Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have somuch to be proud of! Looking at all of your projects is inspiring! I always feel I don't have enough time in the day but look at you! If I could accomplish a quarter of all of this in 2012 I will consider it a handmade success!!! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 25 quilts? Holy cr@p, I just choked on my dinner lol They all look fab though, as does everything else :o) Hope next year is all you have wished for :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I raise my glass to you and your fabulous 2011 accomplishments, Elizabeth! Here's to a wonderful 2012, and I wholeheartedly agree with the "saying no" thing. Will be doing more of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year Elisabeth! Your mosaics are just amazing! Full of fantastic and beautiful creations! I'm so happy to follow your sewing journey again the next year! xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great mosaics, amazing year and I expect to see big things from you next year m'lady - you are on fire and going places.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that quote; I've never seen it before so thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing year. Your projects are truly inspiring. Can't wait for your Christmas Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How inspiring! This WAS a great year for you! Thanks again for the lovely FTLOS swap projects - one hangs right above my sewing machine! ;-) can't wait to see what the new year brings....

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've had quite a year, my friend! Can't wait to see what you have in store for 2012!

    I'm off to check out your soft book tute...I have a 1-year-old birthday party next weekend, and I think it might just be the perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have the International Quilt Festival magazine & have not only earmarked a lot of the projects in it-I'm actually almost done with the Sweetwater Bag, then am doing the Avalon Quilt & if I get up the nerve, I'm going to try your Spiderweb Quilt. It looks to be a fabulous quilt, just trying to get up the nerve to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I participated in a Women's forum at work this past year and the best piece of advice/information for me was this quote:

    "Learn to say No when the quaility of your yes is compromised"

    I don't remember who it came from, but I've found it very empowering..

    I look forward to following your blog in 2012... Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year! Thank you for the inspiration that I received from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You did a bunch of great stuff this year, and your quilt alongs resulted in lots of other beautiful quilts being created! Nice Job and happy new years!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year to you too, Elizabeth! Your work is amazing and I look forward to seeing what you do in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on all the accomplishments on 2011. I totally second your goal of saying no - or to being selective about the yeses.

    I'm so glad I got to meet you in person this year! Hoping to see you again soon! Best wishes for 2012!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ahhh! 25 quilts and SOOOO many other cute sewing projects! What an amazing year. Thank you so much for sharing everything that you create. I enjoy following along so much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy New Years! You have some great resoluions this year. Plus you have made some great quilts last year-can't wait to see this year's creations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat