Monday, January 10, 2011

Some traditional placemats with a splash of modern design

My mother is admittedly not a fan of modern fabrics.  She's been fabric shopping with me a few times, and she always points out the things she doesn't like, rather than the things she does like, so it's always tough to figure out what she actually does like.  If you ask her what she likes, her response is always something to the effect of, "Oh, you know, I've shown you a thousand times."  Sure, Mom.

Well, I pegged her pretty well at Christmas when I made her a second mug rug, using the fabrics from A Breath of Avignon by American Jane.  She loved it.  I still have quite the stockpile of fabric from that line, so when she asked for placemats, I figured that would be a good choice.


I got a really awesome sewing book for Christmas, from my mother actually - Dare to Be Square Quilting by Boo Davis.   There's a ton of fun patterns, one of which is for charm bracelet style placemats.  I decided to switch it up a little bit and practice some of my patchwork skills rather than use a simple solid center fabric for the charms, and I really like how that part turned out.  I'm not a huge fan of my choice of binding, but I used what was in my stash.  I really wish I had just used the red.  My mom's plates are blue, though, and I know she's a big fan of this print, so here's hoping she likes them!


And I'm linking up with Megan's new Monday linky, check it out!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

5 comments:

  1. I love the quilting in double diagonal lines! These are very pretty. I need to get my hands on that book. I've seen some great projects from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very pretty especially the blue binding! Lucky mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the blue binding too. I have Boo's book and I love it but I haven't made anything out of it yet. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! :D The quilting is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them! The double line quilting is perfect! I am sure she will enjoy them!

    Thanks for linking up :) Happy {Sew} Modern Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat