Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wheels in the Sky quilt in the new issue of Quilty!

Good morning! I've got another fun magazine feature to share with you this morning - the latest issue of Quilty magazine features a new paper piecing pattern from yours truly, called Wheels in the Sky.

Wheels in the Sky - pattern in Mar/Apr 2014 issue of Quilty

This quilt was a labor of love, designed around Jeni Baker's Nordika collection. I was really attracted to Nordika when I first saw it at Quilt Market last spring, but I wasn't sure how I'd use it. It was one of those collections that I felt like needed just the right pattern to show it off. I decided to challenge myself to experiment with the Flowerfall in Jade print as a background fabric. I loved the organic lines in the print, but I had a feeling that with paper piecing that it might get a little too busy, so I alternated a simple Pure Elements Snow white with the Flowerfall print, and I love the effect that it brings to the finished quilt.

Wheels in the Sky - alt view

I kept the quilting fairly simple, doing a large orange peel repeating design throughout, really letting the piecing be the star of the finished quilt. I used my trusty orange cone of white (#2024) 50 wt Aurifil, my old standby that works for everything when I'm too lazy to change out my spool :)

Wheels in the Sky - FMQ Detail

Quilt Stats
name: Wheels in the Sky
size: 48" square
fabrics: Nordika by Jeni Baker for Art Gallery Fabrics and coordinating Art Gallery Pure Elements solids
pattern: Wheels in the Sky by yours truly in the March/April 2014 edition of Quilty
quilting: Orange peels in white 50 wt Aurifil thread

Wheels in the Sky - Mar/Apr issue of Quilty
photo from Quilty magazine, March/April 2014 issue

If you love this quilt exactly the way I made it, you can pick up a kit with all the fabrics you'll need for the quilt top at Fons & Porter. Also over at Fons & Porter, you can check out a nifty video they made about how to foundation paper piece this block!

You can still find Nordika in stock at:
Intrepid Thread
Stash Fabrics
Hawthorne Threads

8 comments:

  1. So beautiful. I just discovered your blog. This is still way out of my league. I've only started last week to do some patch working (placemats) and I still have to quilt them. But I hope one day I can make nice big projects like you do. Thank you for the inspiration.

    Greetings
    Patricia x
    pats-ditjes-en-datjes.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was immediately drawn to this pattern when I got my issue of Quilty (subscriber). A bit nervous to try it as I have yet to do paper piecing but it is so stunning. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! It is a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It's beautiful! Fantastic work as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, you are such a creative inspiration! I LOVE paper piecing, and Quilty is my all-time favourite quilt magazine. This quilt is just awesome all around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you played with these prints! I'm definitely going to need to stitch something up with this pattern, it's so fun! Thanks again for using Nordika!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat