Monday, April 28, 2014

The infamous Stash Bash cookies

I spent the last four days at The Stash Bash, just outside of Atlanta, with an amazing group of women that I'm missing quite a bit this morning. Good thing there's exactly two cookies left from the giant double batch of Salty Caramel Chocolate Chip cookies I baked for them, because it's the perfect "hair of the dog" kind of hangover cure I'm needing this morning.

Salty Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies - recipe on the blog

Elizabeth's Salty Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks of softened, room temp salted butter - trust me, use salted butter here!
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon good vanilla extract - I like the Nielsen-Massey Vanilla brand best
1/4 cup salty caramel sauce - Jen's recipe is the best
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
18 oz mini chocolate chips - 1 1/2 bags worth, roughly
Pink or white coarse sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep a baking sheet or two with a Silpat or with parchment paper.
2. Beat softened butter with the sugars until fluffy and well mixed. Mix in eggs, then caramel. Quick tip on the caramel - spritz your measuring cup with some Pam or similar to make the caramel come right out, super easy. Add in vanilla, mix thoroughly and scrape the bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together. Slowly add your dry ingredients, a cup or so at a time, to the dough, and mix thoroughly.
4. Add chocolate chips and mix with a wooden spoon or spoonula.
5. To make big cookies, scoop by rounded tablespoon onto cookie sheet, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are slightly browned on the edges. Underbaking is key to making the cookies stay fresh longer! I usually bake for 10 minutes on the dot, depending on how my oven is behaving.
6. To make smaller cookies, like the ones I brought to the Stash Bash, scoop using a regular silverware spoon. Dough is pliable, so roll into a ball and place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and sprinkle with coarse sea salt before baking for 7-8 minutes. Again, underbake slightly to ensure that the cookies stay fresh longer.
7. Either size you bake, make sure to let the cookies "rest" on the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes before moving them to a rack to finish cooling.

One batch makes approximately 36 large cookies or 80 small cookies

Happy Monday everyone!

8 comments:

  1. These sound delish! I might just have to add these to the holiday baking rotation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I ate all the cookies. *sheepish face*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vouch for these cookies. Make them. Make a double batch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is the recipe for the caramel sauce? Quite a temptation you have given me, and I don't know who Jen is, or how to get her recipe! Thank you for such a decadent recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a dope I am! I should have just clicked on your link! Thank you for being so well organized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the recipe! I love anything salted with caramel! there's an ice cream shop here in Portland called Salt and Straw and they've got the best salted caramel ice cream I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete

  7. Enjoy your blog and your crafts. Thanks for the recipe. Will definitely make some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, my favorite- sweet and salty mixture!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat