Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A bit of chain paper piecing: The Smashing Star


It's nearly the end of February, and that means it's nearly time for a new Lucky Stars block! And I'm so thoroughly in love with this block that I just can't wait until the end of the week to show it to you. Say good morning to the Smashing Star...

Lucky Stars BOM March 2014 block: The Smashing Star

Every time I make a new Lucky Stars block, I wind up with a new favorite, and this one is no exception! I'm seriously head over heels for this block and am hoping to make a few extra ones this weekend just for fun. With just six pieces on each template, this is a paper pieced block that has an intricate look without too much fuss.

I love blocks that are beautiful that come together quickly. Don't we all?! When I'm paper piecing, I find that the bulk of my time is spent in planning out the block and cutting fabric. Once I get to the actual piecing, I assemble my blocks using chain piecing, or the assembly line technique, which makes things move way, way faster. After I glue my first pieces of fabric to the un-printed side of all of my templates, I then piece all of my A templates, adding the A2 pieces to all four of my templates, trimming and pressing, then the A3s, and so on and so forth. Chain piecing when paper piecing also reduces my odds of making mistakes by placing all of a certain piece just right before switching gears to set up the placement of the next piece.


Lucky Stars BOM March 2014 block: The Smashing Star

This block will go out to Lucky Stars subscribers first thing Saturday morning so you can spend your weekend paper piecing. Have a great day today!

3 comments:

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat