Friday, December 6, 2013

A few of my favorite things...

I've really missed watching the yearly airing of "The Sound of Music" the last several holiday seasons. Either it hasn't been on, or I've just been missing it! In any case, I was really excited to watch the new production of "The Sound of Music" last night on NBC. I'm a sucker for a musical, having grown up in musical theater, and "The Sound of Music" is one of those classics that I can't resist. I enjoyed watching the new production - I'm not a huge country music fan, but I thought Carrie Underwood did a fine job, though she's no Julie Andrews, and she managed to nail one of my favorite songs from the show, "My Favorite Things." Humming that song while brushing my teeth last night, it dawned on me that this is the perfect time of year to jot down a few of my favorite things, just in case Santa needs a few ideas for quilty items to stick in my stocking or under the tree...

Creative Grids rulers - one of my favorite things

Creative Grids rulers - You really can't go wrong with these rulers. They grip your fabric so nicely, and the lines are really crisp. I sure would love to get a 6 1/2" Quilting Ruler, as I have most of the larger square sizes and I already have my most favorite ruler size, the 6 1/2" x 24 1/2".

Aurifil - one of my favorite things

Aurifil - Santa, every quilter needs some Aurifil in her life! I'm a huge fan of the 50 wt (orange cone) for pretty much all things quilty. It would be fun to get a few fun colors of thread in one's stocking!

Graph paper notebooks - one of my favorite things

Graph paper - While I love using EQ, I do still love graph paper, and graph paper notebooks are a lot of fun to have around for doodling.

Extra wound bobbins - one of my favorite things

Extra bobbins - I've been meaning to buy some extra bobbins for my Juki since I bought the darned thing, and I keep forgetting, so they sure would be nice.

505 Basting Spray - one of my favorite things

505 Basting Spray - Can't live without this stuff. I actually tried to pin baste a quilt earlier this year, because I was low on spray, thinking it couldn't be that bad and that surely I could do it. Um, no. I gave up and went out and bought a can of spray baste!

Seam Fix seam ripper - one of my favorite things


Seam Fix - I love a good seam ripper, and I think I've found my most favorite one to date, the Seam Fix . It's a seam ripper that has a bit of an eraser-like feature to it, to help grab all those tiny fiddly pieces of thread that you leave behind when you rip out a seam. It's fantastic, but seam rippers don't last forever, Santa. Plus, you know how prone I am to losing things! A backup would be good.

Heat Press batting tape - one of my favorite things
 
Batting Tape - Santa, you've seen me baste quilts - there's always leftover batting, right? I love using batting tape to fuse leftover chunks together into a big piece of Franken-batting! This stuff comes on a pretty big roll, but it goes quickly, so an extra roll or two would be handy. Just steer clear of the black rolls, because I've never used black batting, okay?

Tell me, friends, what are some of your favorite small quilty things? Are there any notions that you just cannot live without that you love to tell others about? When I teach, talking about notions is one of my favorite things to do after class, to compare notes and to learn about other notions I might never have tried otherwise, like that Seam Fix seam ripper.  And don't forget, today is the last day of the 2013/2014 combo deal for the Lucky Stars BOM!! I hope you have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!

21 comments:

  1. I would love some additional pins and replacement blades for my cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know about batting tape! I just don't make enough coaster and mini quilts to use up all my extra batting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two new favorites are the On Point ruler and Little House pins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Binding clips, quarter inch ruler (on each side of line for marking HST). I bought batting tape recently, but haven't remembered to use it!
    www.sewcraftychick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Batting tape??? How did I not know this existed?!?! I have to get some!!! As far as notions I can't live with out....definitely my seam ripper, rotary cutter & basting spray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Batting tape! I didn't know that existed and would be must easier than zig-zag stitching pieces together.

    My list includes Aurifil, extra bobbins, clover clips and basting pins (I don't have enough room to spray baste).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh...batting tape? You've just made my Christmas very merry :). Love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. batting tape..have it, basting spary. have it, seam riper. have it, extra bobbins..have them, aurifil thread..have lots, graph paper..have lots, oops missing the creative grid rulers...ok santa i could use that

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great list! I would love one of those seam rippers and my creative grids rulers are awesome. I'm hoping Santa will bring me a Hera Marker this year so I can try it out. My disappearing ink markers dry up way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my hubby loves to buy me quilty toys, thanks for the hints.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got some Clover fork pins someone had raved about and can't wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. basting spray???whhhhat...Is that anything like spray glue? I have never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the site...and all the new items

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like my clover thimble. It has a metal tip, but is silicone/rubbery on the sides so it stretches/fits on my odd shaped fingers unlike a traditional thimble. They don't last forever, so I always keep at least one spare on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, batting tape, lol. Never knew. I love notions, they are like office supplies to me. Can't go near that area unless I need something specific. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a good chunk of that list already, Santa really needs to share the love with everyone on them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Extra blades for my rotary cutter. I never seem to have one when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have that seam ripper - it's handy to have that rubber 'eraser' end!
    And Creative Grids rulers are just fantastic. Last Christmas hubby bought me the 16.5" square. The ladies at the shop thought it was an odd size, but they ordered it for him anyway!
    On my wish list - GCs to FQS for more stuff to feed my habit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love tiny scissors! I have three pairs that I stash all over so they are always handy. I am almost through my first can of basting spray and I don't think I will ever go back to pin basting again. I am very excited to try batting tape now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good list! I agree with all you've recommended, except that seam ripper. Mine lasted only a month. The tip broke when I was trying to remove a thread knot. As well, I didn't like that the cap didn't fit onto the base part - too easy for the parts to become separated. Oh, and I don't care for a round seam ripper because they often roll off the sewing table. Thanks for sharing this list, though. It will surely be helpful to quilters, and their SO's.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! I appreciate each and every one of them and try to respond when time allows. Your comments totally brighten my day :)


Welcome! I'm Elizabeth, mom to a mood teen boy and a chatty six-year-old girl and I sew for my sanity. Let's get to quilting, shall we?
The Epic Sampler BOM Club kicks off Oct 1st
Copyright 2010 by Elizabeth Dackson. Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Archive

Tutorials

 photo Icicle-Star_zps7f032133.gif  photo Boxed-In2_zps800ae9da.gif EasyPeasyFauxZigZag StringHeartBlock StarCrossed CrossMAze CathedralStar RainbowRing DoubleFlip PatchworkWheel FriendshipOctogon FlyingGeese HST Weathervane MarinersStar StackedScrappyBlock ScrappyAngles HolidayPresentBlock DivideandConquer CharlestonFarmhouse ModernHalves ModCircuitry ModNine Kaleido SlicedCoins Kaleido BellaCrossing SweetGirlie MiniBookshelf ClamshellLoop DoubleHourglass BaptistFan TetrisMug StringDiamond ScraptasticTote OffsetDiamonds MunchkinSoftBook PatchworkBathMat